Ford Delaying '09 -150 Launch

jasonj80

Working on drivetrain issues. Ford needs a problem free launch.

The key in the announcment was not the time delay it was the sudden change in the lead plant. Norfolk had launched the incredibly successfull '96 and '04 F-150s perfectly then Ford closed Norfolk and gave it's best selling, longest running nameplate to Dearborn Truck Plant (Rouge) to launch and they have failed. I'm not buying the "driveline issues" excuse, what better place to work out any engineering issue than the "home plant" right in Dearborn not hundreds of miles away in Kansas City. If it really was a driveline issue why would Ford switch lead plants just a couple of weeks before Job-1? Wouldn't that just add more problems to the situation?

Hey dumb ass Mark Fields do you still think it was a good idea to close Norfolk?

If Ford needs to cut more white collars I suggest they start with Fields. That would be a "way forward."

Edited by F250

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I find ridiculous, if FE is a concern, (which it shouldn't be when you're buying a 6000 lb. tank, the Boss will get better mileage than the 5.4, especially when DI and variable displacement comes along, so if anything, they need to drop the 5.4 for fuel economy reasons. I don't know why people act like it's the other way around, they can even put taller gear behind the 6.2 since it has enough power to move along without steep gearing.

It looks like they're already doing just that. The 09 F150's with the 5.4 and 2WD can be equipped with a 3.15 axle.

That's what I find ridiculous, if FE is a concern, (which it shouldn't be when you're buying a 6000 lb. tank, the Boss will get better mileage than the 5.4,

And that might just be where you're wrong. Everything I've heard points to the Boss being tuned for power and not so much economy, which makes me think "low volume" and "Super Duty".

And that might just be where you're wrong. Everything I've heard points to the Boss being tuned for power and not so much economy, which makes me think "low volume" and "Super Duty".

Well then maybe they ought to change that, or realize that 1 mpg means nothing?

The key in the announcment was not the time delay it was the sudden change in the lead plant. Norfolk had launched the incredibly successfull '96 and '04 F-150s perfectly then Ford closed Norfolk and gave it's best selling, longest running nameplate to Dearborn Truck Plant (Rouge) to launch and they have failed. I'm not buying the "driveline issues" excuse, what better place to work out any engineering issue than the "home plant" right in Dearborn not hundreds of miles away in Kansas City. If it really was a driveline issue why would Ford switch lead plants just a couple of weeks before Job-1? Wouldn't that just add more problems to the situation?

Hey dumb ass Mark Fields do you still think it was a good idea to close Norfolk?

If Ford needs to cut more white collars I suggest they start with Fields. That would be a "way forward."

like your the most impartial person to be making judgement on something like this since you lost your job...:rolleyes:

Great post. June has been a disaster for me after a relatively decent 1st 5 mos of the year. I've taken huge hits against my used inventory but it is now closer to true "book" than any other dealer I know. Traffic has been very light the last 2 weeks. If this is the trend for the remainder of the summer we are all in trouble. If it is just a breather to "re-normalize" then I can live with that. I sure hope traffic comes back quickly. Used trucks/SUV's are so low right now it defies logic. An extra $10 to fill a tank should not devalue anything 20%. But that's whats happening right now. Emotion is trumping common sense.

I totally beg to differ here for several reasons.

1) An extra $10 is no where NEAR whats really going on. Where people were once filling their Expeditions for around $45 they are now spending close to $100. That is going to make EVERYONE but the top 5% of income earners take notice.

2) Fuel isn't the only problem. Every single item a household buys right now has gone up as a direct result (be it ficticious or actual) of the fuel crisis. Households are struggling right now harder than they have in recent memorable times.

3) Large, emotionally generated or oriented purchases are being scrutinized very carefully and in most case rejected due to plain old no money to do so.

4) The estimated millions of soon to be worthless large SUVs out there in peoples driveways are probably my largest concern in all of this. Auto manufacturers surely aren't going to make people whole on them. The government won't. Will there really be any hope for that situation? The only thing that could possibly correct that coming and VERY real issue is fuel prices going down significantly after the election. Otherwise I believe the SUV will bring down this economy to unbelievable levels single handedly. The once darling of US auto manufacturing profit may very will be their undoing.

like your the most impartial person to be making judgement on something like this since you lost your job...:rolleyes:

You know me so well.

So how long did I work at Nap? What department was I in? And most importantly where the hell is my $100K buyout check?

I didn't get one because I never worked there, or as a supplier and I didn't loose my job...yet...unless you know something I dont...

Seriously, how does changing final assembly plants at the last minute before a launch fix a "driveline issue?" Don't both plants get driveline parts from the same source. So while KCAP takes over the launch of the next F-150 the mighty DTP (Rouge) is now scheduled to be idled most of the third quarter! If you know what is really going on tell us because this is very unusual for such an important launch.

Seriously, how does changing final assembly plants at the last minute before a launch fix a "driveline issue?" Don't both plants get driveline parts from the same source. So while KCAP takes over the launch of the next F-150 the mighty DTP (Rouge) is now scheduled to be idled most of the third quarter! If you know what is really going on tell us because this is very unusual for such an important launch.

Because DTP makes the high end (poser) trucks. Your truck buyer that buys a truck to drive because it's cool is not buying. Your worker (real) trucks are and always will sell. It may also have something to do with the shitty frames we got from magna. Anyone know if KCAP uses any magna frames?

Plain and simple, KCAP will launch with one crew (probable a high mix of work trucks). DTP may or may not be retooled to make those same trucks (no one knows for sure). Having worked on the launch at DTP, it has nothing to do with build quality...all of our problems (and KCAP as well) have been design and engineering issues.

Yeah, ok.....it really looks like the competition is moving on.... http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=24931

We don't know what that means, but since the only thing they can't beat Ford in is towing, what is there to do really? Who is going to tow 10,000 pounds with 5 dollar gas anyways?

The Ram looks to be the truck to get, they made it look better, and they made improvements that the actual person can use.

We don't know what that means, but since the only thing they can't beat Ford in is towing, what is there to do really? Who is going to tow 10,000 pounds with 5 dollar gas anyways?

The Ram looks to be the truck to get, they made it look better, and they made improvements that the actual person can use.

Um, people that need to tow something somewhere are going to tow it whether gas is $5 or whether it's $1. Funny thing, I was watching Con Air on TV today. It was made in 1997. The price on a gas station sign in the movie....$1.03 for regular, I think it was like $1.09 for premium. Sad...

And what "improvements that an actual person can use" did they make on the Ram? The ones that Ford and Chevy already had? Only thing Ram has is that Ram Box, which takes up bed space anyways.

Day supply (as of June 1st)

F-150 142 days (60 is ideal)

2.7 months to burn down to average

60 days is the historical ideal! The F150 has been running a 100 day supply since 2004 (I have seen the inside numbers). This explains the low ongoing $200/month leases for XLT's. Ford has subsided this vehicle in the market for years, It should be no surprize that it's not exactly what the customer whats. Furthermore, when all the leases are turn back they will get hammered again with low residuals. Ford has already indicated this might be a $1,000,000,000 ($1B) problem at Ford Motor Creidt, but what's a few more red zeros.

Listen Dearborn, especially those on the Glasshouse 12th floor.... We new a NEW North American designed & build RANGER.

Red, White, and Blue!!! That's the only market advantage we have left... for now.

I think I'll buy n 09 F-150 after the delay ends because I've always chrome taillights and and step into my bumper so I can pick up the senior day laborers..

Yeah, because everyone is the same as you....right. Most people don't care about HP and performance as much as you, please realize that. Many also don't share your opinion on what looks good and what doesn't. The F150 will be at the top of its class like it always has. Why? Because not everything is in the numbers.

Yeah, because everyone is the same as you....right. Most people don't care about HP and performance as much as you, please realize that. Many also don't share your opinion on what looks good and what doesn't. The F150 will be at the top of its class like it always has. Why? Because not everything is in the numbers.

You don't know shit, you'd be the worst businessman on the planet, telling customers their wants don't matter.

If you ask most people if they want a vehicle that has adequate power they will say yes, and what you don't know is that the enthusiasts are the most loyal and not only buy new cars, but continue making Ford money on Ford Racing parts.

You want Ford to be Toyota, selling nothing but boring, slow, ugly Toyota clones.

I suggest you go pick a book about Ford's history and educate yourself, including how the company got started. This company was never about only catering to automotive dimwits who can't even change their own oil.

There is also a multi-billion dollar aftermarket industry that would have really welcomed a modern, large displacement, no-compromise Ford engine.

I've been waiting for 20 years for this engine, for some 18 year old prick like you to come in here and say it doesn't matter is just great, you're a real ass.. :finger: Maybe you'll get it someday..

Edited by Blueblood

Blueblood, I can tell you're pretty crushed and angered by this news.

Maybe alternatives don't sound great at the moment and I won't bore you with possibilities

but I'm sure Ford will have something in the pipe, they just can't walk away from the F truck completely.

Edited by jpd80

He didn't want to buy a truck with the 6.2. He wanted to buy the engine, from Ford racing, to put in his muscle car.

Thats what I don't get. He is using the excuse that he is so pissed because the F150 will suck............. because it doesn't have a 400+hp V8............ yet he had no intention of buying one anyway.

Somehow, in this climate, I don't think anyone will give the lack of the 6.2 a second thought. 5.0 "sounds" good, because it is smaller than the current V8, and will make more power and probably better fuel economy. 6.2 "sounds" like thirsty behemouth.

We are talking about perception here.

I wish my fillups were only $10 more. Mine seem to go up about $10 bucks a month, or more, here in Southern California. I spent $105 to fill up my F-150 today, and on a military check and this truck being my only vehicle, I am hurting. I have a new F-150 ordered and the dealer told me straight up my F-150 on a trade in is worth one-half of blue book value! I am making it, but I really feel for allot of folks going through tough times with not only the fuel prices, but the mortage crisis here in San Diego.

You don't know shit, you'd be the worst businessman on the planet, telling customers their wants don't matter.

If you ask most people if they want a vehicle that has adequate power they will say yes, and what you don't know is that the enthusiasts are the most loyal and not only buy new cars, but continue making Ford money on Ford Racing parts.

You want Ford to be Toyota, selling nothing but boring, slow, ugly Toyota clones.

I suggest you go pick a book about Ford's history and educate yourself, including how the company got started. This company was never about only catering to automotive dimwits who can't even change their own oil.

There is also a multi-billion dollar aftermarket industry that would have really welcomed a modern, large displacement, no-compromise Ford engine.

I've been waiting for 20 years for this engine, for some 18 year old prick like you to come in here and say it doesn't matter is just great, you're a real ass.. :finger: Maybe you'll get it someday..

wow............SECURITY...we have a jumper......

I wish my fillups were only $10 more. Mine seem to go up about $10 bucks a month, or more, here in Southern California. I spent $105 to fill up my F-150 today, and on a military check and this truck being my only vehicle, I am hurting. I have a new F-150 ordered and the dealer told me straight up my F-150 on a trade in is worth one-half of blue book value! I am making it, but I really feel for allot of folks going through tough times with not only the fuel prices, but the mortage crisis here in San Diego.

You Sir, stand to be commended. First I want to say a hearty thank you for what you are doing. Second, from what you've written, the impact to you is enormous. YOU are the customer Ford so desperately wants and needs. YOU are what makes the company and allows it to continue.

You are what the company is structuring for. IF Ford can satisfy you and keep you as a customer then their is a future for it. Times have changed. you just told it in a very human way.

Again, I want to offer you a thank you.

Edited by Critic