More details on 2009 Escape Hybrid system

battyr

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your point is? The hybrid system was very much developed by Ford.

The transmission is developed and manufactured by Aisin, a key supplier to Toyota. Aisin's unwillingness to ramp up supply has capped the production rate of Ford Hybrids.

Ford had to buy licenses from Toyota for some parts of the technology (IIRC, battery charging).

Had lunch with one of the Hybrid guys on Friday. He characterized the '09 Escape as Gen 1.5 and the upcoming Fusion Hybrid as a full Gen 2.0. The Fusion uses EPS from a different vendor and a few other tweaks.

He also said there is a skunk works project with a different transmission supplier still on going but no target date.

Edited by theoldwizard

My point is, you're misinformed (wrong)

Sorry, but I'm also very confused over your post. Are you trying to say that some of the Escape's foreign content is somehow coming from Toyota? I don't understand. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting.

This subject of patents has been beaten to death. The Escape system was developed entirely independently by Ford, period. Near the end of the development program, Ford did a scan of the technology and determined that there was one area where there could be overlap in Ford's and Toyota's technical approach. They met with Toyota, and a couple of Ford engine patents were traded for Toyota patents. It was a one-time deal and no ongoing payments are involved.

This situation is nothing like laggard Nissan who had to buy the Toyota system.

This is a very, very common practice among auto manufacturers. How many times have you heard about nasty patent infringement cases in this industry between manufacturers? (Answer: none) I had a casual conversation with a GM patent guy the other day, and he mentioned how he had just had a series of "trade-em" meetings with Ford on a variety of patents.

My point is, you're misinformed (wrong)

Ford also licensed Toyota hybrids patents after its engineers realized that the system Ford had developed had features similar to ones patented by Toyota. (Honda developed a different hybrid system.)

The two automakers struck an accord last year that included an exchange of patents: Toyota gave Ford license to use some of its hybrid technology, and Ford gave the Japanese automaker diesel and direct-injection engine technology.

:reading:

Source

More:

The 20 patents are primarily related to controls. Susan Krusal, Ford's spokeswoman for trucks and SUVs, said the licensing agreement allows Ford to market its own hybrid control system, which shares some similarities with the Toyota system. As part of the agreement, Toyota licensed technologies for nitrogen oxide emissions control, variable valve timing, and direct injection spark ignition from Ford.

Source

Edited by TomServo92

The transmission is developed and manufactured by Aisin, a keep supplier to Toyota. Aisin's unwillingness to ramp up supply has capped the production rate of Ford Hybrids.

Ford had to buy licenses from Toyota for some parts of the technology (IIRC, battery charging).

Had lunch with one of the Hybrid guys on Friday. He characterized the '09 Escape as Gen 1.5 and the upcoming Fusion Hybrid as a full Gen 2.0. The Fusion uses EPS from a different vendor and a few other tweaks.

He also said there is a skunk works project with a different transmission supplier still on going but no target date.

This is what I wanted to hear. Any other secrets?

:reading:

Source

More:

Source

Please look at the part content placard placed on my 08FEH by FORD... It clearly says the transmission is BOUGHT from JAPAN...

What part of that is confusing??

You can qoute all you want, call it designed by whoever you want...

They buy the CVT from AISIN a TOYOTA company....

what part of that is confusing???

The CVT is SOLD to FORD by AISIN...JAPANESE COMPANY OWNED IN PART BY TOYOTA

CONFIRMED by FORD on their OWN DISCLOSURE TAG, which is affixed to EVERY VEHICLE THEY SELL...

End of debate...

Please look at the part content placard placed on my 08FEH by FORD... It clearly says the transmission is BOUGHT from JAPAN...

CONFIRMED by FORD on their OWN DISCLOSURE TAG, which is affixed to EVERY VEHICLE THEY SELL...

End of debate...

YEah, they bought the transmission from Japan, but they designed and developed the hybrid system on their own.

End of debate...

The CVT isn't the only part that makes a hybrid a hybrid. There is also the batteries, electric motor, special brakes, along with many other unique items.

Just because the cvt is bought from japan (AISIN which has some toyota ownership) doesn't make the overall vehicle a Toyota product.

It would be like saying my car is japanese engineered just because my tires came from japan or something stupid like that.

End of debate...

What does that have to do with the Ford/Toyota hybrid patent swap? Nothing, that's what.

Ford buys Aisin transmissions for non-hybrid products as well. Does that make them Toyota products as well? No, it does not.

NOW, it's the end of the debate. :finger:

Edited by TomServo92

Sorry, but I'm also very confused over your post. Are you trying to say that some of the Escape's foreign content is somehow coming from Toyota? I don't understand. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting.

This subject of patents has been beaten to death. The Escape system was developed entirely independently by Ford, period. Near the end of the development program, Ford did a scan of the technology and determined that there was one area where there could be overlap in Ford's and Toyota's technical approach. They met with Toyota, and a couple of Ford engine patents were traded for Toyota patents. It was a one-time deal and no ongoing payments are involved.

This situation is nothing like laggard Nissan who had to buy the Toyota system.

This is a very, very common practice among auto manufacturers. How many times have you heard about nasty patent infringement cases in this industry between manufacturers? (Answer: none) I had a casual conversation with a GM patent guy the other day, and he mentioned how he had just had a series of "trade-em" meetings with Ford on a variety of patents.

YOU NAILED THE ANSWER!

Most of the posters just like some in the media just can't seem to understand this. Engineers and Scientists can work on solutions independently and have overlap. It is just a matter who gets there first and who protects it first. I get frustrated seeing this argument all the time by people who just lack knowledge about these things.

This hybrid is a waste of money. The consumer would be better served just buying a 2009 Escape 2.5L with either a 6 speed auto, or 5 speed manual if they want fuel economy. The atkinson cycle is a waste of time. In theory, given the drop in torque compared to the otto cycle, you still need to keep the engine at a higher RPM to get the same acceleration performance. And if you are on highway, the electric motor is limited anyways. Not forgetting the extra weight you add with a battery pack, motors, high voltage wiring, etc. For 4 mpg extra, keep it. I will pocket the $12K and use it to buy more gas for this "theoretical" 4 mpg.

This hybrid is a waste of money. The consumer would be better served just buying a 2009 Escape 2.5L with either a 6 speed auto, or 5 speed manual if they want fuel economy. The atkinson cycle is a waste of time. In theory, given the drop in torque compared to the otto cycle, you still need to keep the engine at a higher RPM to get the same acceleration performance. And if you are on highway, the electric motor is limited anyways. Not forgetting the extra weight you add with a battery pack, motors, high voltage wiring, etc. For 4 mpg extra, keep it. I will pocket the $12K and use it to buy more gas for this "theoretical" 4 mpg.

I don't understand your comment. The best ratings for the gas Escape are 22 city and 28 highway with the 5 speed manual (FWD). The FWD hybrid is rated at 34 city and 30 highway. That is considerably more than 4 mpg.

Don't put words in my mouth (post)....

I never said that the CVT makes the hybrid, nor that Ford didn't have a play in the design.

How did we get from a discussion about the CVT to the whole truck and what makes a hybrid?

You may read things that are incorrect and irritate you...

Two incorrect things I read ALL the time are:

The Escape Hybrid is all Ford (wrong)

The Escape Hybrid has no Toyota technology in it (wrong)

THAT was the purpose of my posts....

Nice recovery attempts however.. A little bit on the attack side tho..

I AM a supporter of our country and I do buy American made products for a reason, but like you I'm sure, I do give credit where it is due and I detest when others post information that they have not researched to any degree...(like there is no Toyota technology in the Escape Hybrid)...

08FEH