Hyundai is talking to Cerberus

twintornados

BAM!!! Saw that one coming......

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds...afx5667975.html

My guess would be, Hyundai takes Jeep and Chrysler, Dodge will get bought by Renault-Nissan, VW gets left out in the cold for Routan, and Cerberus does what they do best.....buy a company, slice and dice it.....sell off the assets and walk away with a boatload of cash.

Edited by twintornados

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it would make more sense for Fiat to buy Dodge, and the rights to Plymouth. They would get a US presence, have access to the Dodge dealer network to relaunch Alfa Romeo in the US, and use Plymouth to badge certain Fiats to sell here, since the Fiat name is still garbage here even after 25 years' absence.

Carlos Ghosn needs Dodge for the truck division.....he can use Dodge cars as an outlet for Renault since Nissan is already established in the US marketplace.

He doesn't need Chrysler....and could beat Jeep at it's own game with some Nissan or Dodge product. The Koreans really need Jeep....Jeep could be expanded into trucks as well....there were Jeep trucks before, and Chrysler gives them them the upscale outlet that they desire. Imagine a replacement for the 300C with Genesis unpinnings and drive train.

The only question left is....who gets the name "Hemi"??

BAM!!! Saw that one coming......

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds...afx5667975.html

My guess would be, Hyundai takes Jeep and Chrysler, Dodge will get bought by Renault-Nissan, VW gets left out in the cold for Routan, and Cerberus does what they do best.....buy a company, slice and dice it.....sell off the assets and walk away with a boatload of cash.

From the article it looks like the major GM aquisition problem was losing jobs.

Carlos Ghosn needs Dodge for the truck division.....he can use Dodge cars as an outlet for Renault since Nissan is already established in the US marketplace.

The Renault name has a similar reputation as Fiat in this country , no way they would try to reestablish it. As I think a bit more, Fiat wouldn't need to bring back Plymouth, just make 'em Dodges. But we'll see who gets it.

Honestly, I don't really see VW needing the Routan anyways....

He doesn't need Chrysler....and could beat Jeep at it's own game with some Nissan or Dodge product. The Koreans really need Jeep....Jeep could be expanded into trucks as well....there were Jeep trucks before, and Chrysler gives them them the upscale outlet that they desire. Imagine a replacement for the 300C with Genesis unpinnings and drive train.

The only question left is....who gets the name "Hemi"??

While I don't know how "upscale" I'd consider Chrysler, I do think that they would be a better brand name in the marketplace for a Genesis-type vehicle than "Hyundai." Now I'm not saying Hyundai makes bad cars, it's just the name that kills any attempt at a luxury vehicle, like Genesis.

As for who gets the Hemi name.....I say drop it for now. To the eyes of many consumers Hemi now = bad fuel economy, not the best thing in these times (yeah, I know fuel is down, but it probably won't be for long).

Ford needs to push for the minivans!

I think Ford could build a better minivan if they wanted. Quality/materials/looks wise, those things would need a complete overhaul anyways, IMO. Although I suppose buying the rights to the vans would allow Ford access to such things as the Stow/Swivel/etc 'N Go stuff. That said, I don't see it happening.

Scum bags

http://people.forbes.com/profile/dan-quayle/40153

Dan Quayle

Director

Heckmann Corporation

Palm Desert , CA

Sector: FINANCIAL / Diversified Investments

61 Years Old

Dan Quayle joined Cerberus in 1999, and currently serves as Chairman of Cerberus Global Investments. Cerberus is one of the world's leading private investment firms, with over $27 billion in committed capital and offices in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, London, Baarn (The Netherlands), Frankfurt, Osaka and Tokyo. As Chairman of Cerberus Global Investments, Dan Quayle has been actively involved in new business sourcing and marketing for Cerberus in North America, Asia and Europe. Mr. Quayle is currently a director of Aozora Bank, Tokyo, Japan.

I have to laugh at the comments about carving Chrysler up. The various nameplates (Dodge, Jeep, etc.) are not freestanding units. Think of Chrysler as a mobile home that is up for sale. No one in their right mind would make an offer to buy just the kitchen or back bedroom. It is a whole, not a pile of pieces.

Now, trademarks and trade names could be sold. They could sell the Jeep name. But the Jeep division is pretty well integrated into the rest of the enterprise.

And if someone buys Chrysler, they could just prune out the parts they do not want. Sort of like what Chrysler did to AMC.

Aerostar, Windstar and Freestar were never top of the segment. Just like Toyota with pickups, Ford kept trying but never could do it right.

They never tried very hard. The earlier Windstars were probably the closest they got, but then they pretty much abandoned thorough development on anything that wasn't a truck. Imagine if they took the effort put into the Flex, Mustang, and F-150 and put it into a minivan. It could be tops in its segment. Ford just doesn't have the desire (or currently the resources) to do it.

3 players in the minivan business and thats probably all theres room for at this point. Honda Toyota and Chrysler. Chryslers latest exterior design is pretty ugly in my opinion and I'm fairly sure Honda is the recognized leader with the Oddesey. Anyone I know that has one loves it. Ford never got within a country mile of making a minivan as well. That was a very non-committal product for Ford.

They never tried very hard. The earlier Windstars were probably the closest they got, but then they pretty much abandoned thorough development on anything that wasn't a truck. Imagine if they took the effort put into the Flex, Mustang, and F-150 and put it into a minivan. It could be tops in its segment. Ford just doesn't have the desire (or currently the resources) to do it.

The Windstar would've proabably been the best model, although from my understanding, Ford took to long to add a second sliding door, and by the time they did the competition, and buyers had moved on.

3 players in the minivan business and thats probably all theres room for at this point. Honda Toyota and Chrysler. Chryslers latest exterior design is pretty ugly in my opinion and I'm fairly sure Honda is the recognized leader with the Oddesey. Anyone I know that has one loves it. Ford never got within a country mile of making a minivan as well. That was a very non-committal product for Ford.

Hyundai and Kia are still playing around there too. Personally, I think the Odyssey is the best looking minivan (at least until it's recent refresh....dont like the new taillights).

Why on earth would they do that? It's not like Chrysler's minivans are the best in the business anymore. If Ford wanted minivans, they'd be better off designing their own.

Bingo. I'm not sure why Ford would have any desire to re-badge a product that doesn't come close to their current standards. The Chrysler vans are usable, but like other Chrysler products I wouldn't want to live with one over the long term.