Part of the reason the public is anti-UAW...

first, if youre still using the term "union bosses" youre an idiot. second, what right does this fuckin reporter have to stalk and film a private citizen? a government worker? ok i'll give him that. but whose business is it other than Ford's where it's employees are?

first, if youre still using the term "union bosses" youre an idiot. second, what right does this fuckin reporter have to stalk and film a private citizen? a government worker? ok i'll give him that. but whose business is it other than Ford's where it's employees are?

when the head of the UAW and the CEO of a company shows up in Washington DC asking for a bailout, it becomes everyones business how a union and a company are wasting money.

People are not particulary anti-UAW, it's just that anyone who has worked in a union job in high school, college, government, etc., knows how unions typically operate - they spend 80% of their time trying to keep the 10% of employees who should be fired from being fired. The other 20% they spend on creating featherbed positions, and negotiating as little work as possible for the workers they represent.

It also adds a intermediary with their own agenda and interests between management and labor - if there are no labor/management issues, the union needs to make sure there are in order to justifiy their existance. Their job in effect becomes creating disharmony in the company.

I worked a union job for six years in college, and my first job out of college was a unionized government job. I know exactly the mentality that exists in many union job shops.

When every company in an industry is basically bankrupt, and there is no indication of future sustained profits, one needs to consider other business models that seem to be able to make a profit.

As mentioned before, one can just not buy their products if you don't like the way the business operates, be it management or worker. However, when they want taxpayers to subsidize them (be it big 3 or transplants), then it becomes everyone's business.

Edited by taxman100

when the head of the UAW and the CEO of a company shows up in Washington DC asking for a bailout, it becomes everyones business how a union and a company are wasting money.

and when was this report shot? oh yeah,WAY before the there were any hearings or requests for government money. keep posting you dope.

That is what the press is supposed to do. First for the govt. Second for private enterprise. They are supposed to ferret out corruption and stuff like that not stalk Paris and Brittney.

Peace and Blessings

and when was this report shot? oh yeah,WAY before the there were any hearings or requests for government money. keep posting you dope.

Your implying that everyone that has a problem with these two union bosses would have no problems with the same types of activities from non union bosses? That is dope. I don't think there is one person on this board that would like to see non union employees doing this crap.

Peace and Blessings

People are not particulary anti-UAW, it's just that anyone who has worked in a union job in high school, college, government, etc., knows how unions typically operate - they spend 80% of their time trying to keep the 10% of employees who should be fired from being fired. The other 20% they spend on creating featherbed positions, and negotiating as little work as possible for the workers they represent.

It also adds a intermediary with their own agenda and interests between management and labor - if there are no labor/management issues, the union needs to make sure there are in order to justifiy their existance. Their job in effect becomes creating disharmony in the company.

I worked a union job for six years in college, and my first job out of college was a unionized government job. I know exactly the mentality that exists in many union job shops.

And in non-unioned jobs, the boss's friends may get promotions faster and not work as much as the others, while some hard-working people get shit on for things they didn't do wrong, so what's your point? At least in an unioned job, the one with the easiest job is usually the older one, which is more objective anyway.

I work in a warehouse and being a student (I get the same wages and approximately the same benefits as a fulltime), I have NO PROBLEM with watching people doing the easiest jobs while I work hard. If I DID work there for the rest of my life, I would eventually get to the "top" and be that guy you guys hate so much.

If you seriously think it's the union that causes all the un-fair stuff in a work environement, you seriously need to open your eyes ( or simply get a first job).

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the job security I have due to my union, and I'll be happy to pay around 10$ each weeks to be treated well and to know that my job, my promotions, or my raise will not depend on the judgement of another human being (who can either like me, or hate me)

And by the way, the anti-union feeling is being feeded by the media. Guess who the media works for? The big corporations. Guess what those don't want anymore, in order to make more profit? Unions. Guess why there was something about UAW concessions in the governement bailout? Because the republican party loves those same big corporations, and they want to make the unions disappear. Think about it.. This ain't any conspiration thoughts, this is simple logic. There are INTERESTS at play.. you probably know that people do things for their interests right?

I'm not saying, however, that unions are here for the worker's well-being. Well.. they indrectly are, because they make money out of it. I prefer trusting an organisation that makes more money when I'm paid more, than one that makes less when I'm paid more. One of them will usually act in favor of my well-being, and those are the unions.

Edited by Patate

"they spend 80% of their time trying to keep the 10% of employees who should be fired from being fired. The other 20% they spend on creating featherbed positions, and negotiating as little work as possible for the workers they represent."

It's funny you mention that, because some fellow friends are teachers here in FL, and whenever I hear them discuss another teacher who sucks at their job they always end it with "Well she must be union thats why they haven't fired her for that". And I've heard some interesting stories that haven't hit the 11 0'clock news, but it's well known if they stick around, it's because they are in the union. All I can do now is if I know someone child is in that class, all I can do is tell the parents "Pull them OUT!!".

"they spend 80% of their time trying to keep the 10% of employees who should be fired from being fired. The other 20% they spend on creating featherbed positions, and negotiating as little work as possible for the workers they represent."

It's funny you mention that, because some fellow friends are teachers here in FL, and whenever I hear them discuss another teacher who sucks at their job they always end it with "Well she must be union thats why they haven't fired her for that". And I've heard some interesting stories that haven't hit the 11 0'clock news, but it's well known if they stick around, it's because they are in the union. All I can do now is if I know someone child is in that class, all I can do is tell the parents "Pull them OUT!!".

YES, and I'm not an Union Buster and see a real need for unions, especially in this economic climate. But I also see that unions are too seniority based and need to give up a little on this front. Any job has to be performance based also like everything else in life. There needs to be a balance here. Seniority should count for something, but JOB PERFORMANCE should count equally. Once it's established that an employee is not performing adequately, and this can be established with negotiated standards, the employee must be let go and promptly. When employees see other employees perform below standards and be protected by seniority, this infects the whole system or company and can reslult in lower standards for all including customers. America can't compete in education or manufacturing with pure seniority based employment system.

Your implying that everyone that has a problem with these two union bosses would have no problems with the same types of activities from non union bosses? That is dope. I don't think there is one person on this board that would like to see non union employees doing this crap.

Peace and Blessings

no dummy- the only thing i am implying is that this story is not news. what's next "breaking news at 11-a Mcdonalds worker takes a smoke break for longer than he is allowed to"?

no dummy- the only thing i am implying is that this story is not news. what's next "breaking news at 11-a Mcdonalds worker takes a smoke break for longer than he is allowed to"?

It may not be news, but it is still relevant. We can watch for ourselves and decide what to think.

MNM, did you mean to threaten me? In a deleted topic I started you offered to put a shotgun in my mouth. Are you threatening to kill me? The original thread has been removed but Google still has it:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:18VaBC...mp;client=opera

I think the moderator should remove your account. I bought a new Ford Taurus this year, and that is why I joined this forum, but I didn’t expect to get threatened by UAW members. I was a supporter of the UAW, but now I am not sure what to feel

Sorry, that is exactly what you implied.

I am sure there are many fine unions out there that do not have any more problems than simple small mom and pop shops. I don't defend all employers. And I certainly would not defend an employer found doing the equivalent of these two guys. But perhaps your defending them or the situation or the union simply because it is union or close to you. Seems to me that lacks objectivity.

Peace and Blessings

It may not be news, but it is still relevant. We can watch for ourselves and decide what to think.

MNM, did you mean to threaten me? In a deleted topic I started you offered to put a shotgun in my mouth. Are you threatening to kill me? The original thread has been removed but Google still has it:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:18VaBC...mp;client=opera

I think the moderator should remove your account. I bought a new Ford Taurus this year, and that is why I joined this forum, but I didn’t expect to get threatened by UAW members. I was a supporter of the UAW, but now I am not sure what to feel

Wow! I did not know I/we were dealing with a child! An insane one at that. Sorry you got that Mazda626!

Peace and Blessings

It was the company's problem when the story was produced.

Now it's the taxpayer's problem.

Since I found the story in a current article about the UAW, it's obviously circulating because it's more relevant now then when it was produced.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the job security I have due to my union, and I'll be happy to pay around 10$ each weeks to be treated well and to know that my job, my promotions, or my raise will not depend on the judgement of another human being (who can either like me, or hate me)

Maybe it's you that needs to get some real job experience. If you're creating VALUE for your company, you'll get promoted. If not, leave.

In case anyone cares, I freeze framed the the video on Modoluski's time card and it

was date stamped Monday, 14 January and I checked the date, guess what?.... 2006.

That's nearly three years ago people!!!

Before Mulally and his sweeping corporate reforms and governance commenced at Ford.