Taurus SHO revealed

I don't think germans have ever figured out A/c...the three bimmers we had were ok, but paled in comparison to the Fords, you mention Audi, and my dads Mercedes sucked as well.....besides, one does have to be wary of anything coming out of german designed vents...ahem!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you internet bench racers out there care to speculate about the acceleration numbers the SHO will put up?

Magazine tests of the standard 3.5 Taurus have 15.5 - 16.0 ets at 90-92mph. If we use the typical .1 second increase for every 10hp you only get 14.5-15.0 ets. However, 100 more hp should also give 100+ mph trap speeds. I would think that 100mph trap speeds with AWD should et in the 13s. I think the SHO also gets shorter gearing and the turbos should provide a broader powerband besides just the peak hp advantage. So I would think a high 13 would be reasonable.

Any other guesses?

I don't think germans have ever figured out A/c...the three bimmers we had were ok, but paled in comparison to the Fords, you mention Audi, and my dads Mercedes sucked as well.....besides, one does have to be wary of anything coming out of german designed vents...ahem!

Germans don't need A/C....it's all about driving....no comfort!

-----

What was that Taurus mule racing the BMW/Caddy in?

Germans don't need A/C....it's all about driving....no comfort!

-----

What was that Taurus mule racing the BMW/Caddy in?

It's Kuzak's ecoboost presentation.

Of course, it's all smoke and mirrors (if you buy the AutoBlog tards and the TTAC turds). The BMW was a 318 with a fake trunk welded onto it, you know.....

It's Kuzak's ecoboost presentation.

Of course, it's all smoke and mirrors (if you buy the AutoBlog tards and the TTAC turds). The BMW was a 318 with a fake trunk welded onto it, you know.....

I know what it was IN (I just watched the video a few minutes ago), I meant what were they racing in. Sorry, I worded it badly.

If the transmission can handle that torque in the lower gears, I think we're definitely looking at a sub 6 0-60.

Theoldwizard stated that the engine would have some Torque limiting management in lower gears to keep the transmission from going poof!

Hmmm $550 a month car payment...ugh....LOL someone want to rob a bank with me? :)

Well RJ, I'm placing my bet on the SHO running a sub 6 second 0-60 time. We shall see.

Ford:

"Taurus SHO was an OEM interpretation of a time-honored hot rod recipe, to make the car faster than it looks. Automotive enthusiasts called the Taurus SHO a “sleeper” as it delivered performance beyond the promise of its understated design. The December 1989 issue of Car and Driver reported a 0-60 figure of 6.6 seconds, a quarter-mile elapsed time of 15 seconds flat and an observed top speed of 143 miles per hour."

Let's hope the 2010 can do a little better than its 89' grandfather.