Ford Motor Company February 2009 Sales

As a member of the media, I agree that the network level does everything it can to scare the living daylights out of people. Without getting too political, let's not forget some networks seem to have a vested interest in this administration. Locally, however, I know my station has worked to become a resource for those who need help. In each newscast we have several stories aimed at helping people find work, get loans, protect their job or business, and the like. Also, keep in mind that the media (as an industry) is getting killed right now. All of the big media companies have had substantial layoffs, so it's hitting these people very hard. Many reporters and anchors have to deliver the news each day knowing that their contract isn't being renewed, and they'll be out of work themselves in 3 weeks. Thankfully, we're family owned, local, and the entire company has zero debt. So, as long as we can make enough to pay the staff and keep the lights on, we're in okay shape.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/news/survival_source.html

I think we're almost around the corner, and hopefully sales will be on the upswing mid to late Summer.

Local news is definitely better than the national outlets when it comes to limiting sensationalism, but unfortunately, television network (non-cable) news in general is dying, almost as fast as newsprint.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, the economy is a self fulfilling prophecy. The news reports ONLY how horrible everything is, and throws the D word around, which scares the living daylights out of most people. The buying public keeps reading/watching this depressing news, and even though most of them are not affected much at this point (except in their 401K's), thay start worrying that things are getting real bad............. and like the banks, hoard money............... and stop buying everything except the essentials.

This causes the manufacturers/distributors/retailers to lower production..................... which causes more layoffs and bad news.

Then, the sensationalist media, once again, does nothing but report all the new doom and gloom.................. which then perpetuates the cycle even further.

At some point, Joe Blow consumer will go................ "huh, even though all I read is depressing economic news, my life has not changed much................. I guess I really can go buy that ____________ that I have been wanting."

This is when the upward trend will happen.

There is such a thing as too much information, and having that information come to you too instantly. When that happens, you don't have time to truly look at things in perspective, and make educated decisions. All you can do is react.

That said, while I know what is going on, I don't immerse myself in it. At times, when I have done this, I got very depressed. Thus, I quit, and am a much happier person.

Look outside...................... it is a beautiful day out there. :)

I turned NBC on this morning and heard the "D" word at least 15 times in the span of 5 minutes. (depression, not the other "d" word). I knew it was going to happen after yesterday's wallstreet performance. I just groaned and turned it off. Jeez. Also read where German makes were up 20% in Feb. Good for them. Stand by for a diesel update from MLHM.

Local news is definitely better than the national outlets when it comes to limiting sensationalism, but unfortunately, television network (non-cable) news in general is dying, almost as fast as newsprint.

Local news isn't dying. The old idea that "They come to us and watch when we tell them to" is. As someone who looks at our ratings, along with that of our competitors daily, we have more viewers, and a larger "share" of available households than we've had for 10 years or so. All this will do is weed out the operations who don't accept the changes necessary. We have an awesome website, which gets millions of hits every month, and it's all done in house. The design and information management are all done in our building, and it's updated by the minute. We are prominent on Facebook and Twitter, allowing our viewers to interact with our newscasts. We also have a 24 hour statewide cable news operation which we own, the Ohio News Netwok (ONN), which has its highest viewership and income in the 11 years it has been around.

Local news isn't dying, it's just changing. Those that don't change will be left behind.

Right now, the economy is a self fulfilling prophecy. The news reports ONLY how horrible everything is, and throws the D word around, which scares the living daylights out of most people. The buying public keeps reading/watching this depressing news, and even though most of them are not affected much at this point (except in their 401K's), thay start worrying that things are getting real bad............. and like the banks, hoard money............... and stop buying everything except the essentials.

This causes the manufacturers/distributors/retailers to lower production..................... which causes more layoffs and bad news.

Then, the sensationalist media, once again, does nothing but report all the new doom and gloom.................. which then perpetuates the cycle even further.

At some point, Joe Blow consumer will go................ "huh, even though all I read is depressing economic news, my life has not changed much................. I guess I really can go buy that ____________ that I have been wanting."

This is when the upward trend will happen.

There is such a thing as too much information, and having that information come to you too instantly. When that happens, you don't have time to truly look at things in perspective, and make educated decisions. All you can do is react.

That said, while I know what is going on, I don't immerse myself in it. At times, when I have done this, I got very depressed. Thus, I quit, and am a much happier person.

Look outside...................... it is a beautiful day out there. :)

I agree, the media makes $$ from playing on the D fear, just like they did with terrorism and Iraq a few years ago. However trying to get the public to go out and spend money they should be saving is what got us into this problem in the first place.

As far as Ford Mo. Co. goes those gas guzzlers that made Ford all that short term profit are coming back to bite them in the A$$.

As far as Ford Mo. Co. goes those gas guzzlers that made Ford all that short term profit are coming back to bite them in the A$$.

:redcard: I'm sorry, how so? I know, how dare Ford make vehicles that the (then) current market demanded, and sold them at a profit, no less. Those bozos up in Dearborn...

:redcard: I'm sorry, how so? I know, how dare Ford make vehicles that the (then) current market demanded, and sold them at a profit, no less. Those bozos up in Dearborn...

I don't think the problem is that they made gas guzzlers, rather they didn't have the foresight to diversify and make smaller fuel efficient vehicles. That was a managament decision NOT to invest some of those profits to build up the 'less' profitable smaller car market.

Please see the post after yours. How does Toyota's enormous drop in sales and profits correlate with the idea that Ford's problems are because they built too many gas guzzlers? You fail. In fact, you double fail. Toyota, the supposed "green" car company, has ended up taking government financing even sooner than Ford did. Maybe it was Toyota's lack of gas guzzlers that led to their current problems? :shrug:

Edited by NickF1011

Local news isn't dying. The old idea that "They come to us and watch when we tell them to" is. As someone who looks at our ratings, along with that of our competitors daily, we have more viewers, and a larger "share" of available households than we've had for 10 years or so. All this will do is weed out the operations who don't accept the changes necessary. We have an awesome website, which gets millions of hits every month, and it's all done in house. The design and information management are all done in our building, and it's updated by the minute. We are prominent on Facebook and Twitter, allowing our viewers to interact with our newscasts. We also have a 24 hour statewide cable news operation which we own, the Ohio News Netwok (ONN), which has its highest viewership and income in the 11 years it has been around.

Local news isn't dying, it's just changing. Those that don't change will be left behind.

Local news isn't dying. I just said local television news is dying. I rarely watch local television news at all and I'm still very informed on local events and politics. Their websites is where all the good info is anymore.

Local news isn't dying. I just said local television news is dying. I rarely watch local television news at all and I'm still very informed on local events and politics. Their websites is where all the good info is anymore.

When does the new fusion go on sale? did they start building it yet? hopefully the 2010 fusion can steal sales away from the 20K or so camries sold in february.

Tauras and Crown Vic outsold Mustang!?!?!

Sign of the times. I noticed that too.

I am concerned with Ford's showing. They should be able to STEAL some more sales from GM and Chrysler, who are near bankruptcy. That fact and the 55% decline in the truck sales are worrisome. Didn't they add another shift at Dearborn to make F-150s?

When does the new fusion go on sale? did they start building it yet? hopefully the 2010 fusion can steal sales away from the 20K or so camries sold in february.

Won't be available for delivery for another couple of months. Should definitely help the sales some when it does get here though. Taurus and Mustang arrive soon also.

Sign of the times. I noticed that too.

I am concerned with Ford's showing. They should be able to STEAL some more sales from GM and Chrysler, who are near bankruptcy. That fact and the 55% decline in the truck sales are worrisome. Didn't they add another shift at Dearborn to make F-150s?

Would January 2008's truck numbers be higher because of fleets buying trucks in January? I always thought fleet sales were higher at the first of the year.

Would January 2008's truck numbers be higher because of fleets buying trucks in January? I always thought fleet sales were higher at the first of the year.

F-series sales for Febuary were actually less than 2000 units lower than they were in January, which linearly makes sense when taking into account fewer selling days in February vs January. Ford had a very strong Feb '08 compared to Jan '08 (52,548 vs 41,125). That accounts for the big jump in percentage, even though actual sales weren't much different at all compared to last month.