Mulally: Electric Cars to Dominate Ford's Line-up

'Ford Motor Co expects electric vehicles will represent a "major portion" of its lineup a decade from now as the automaker breaks away from a recent reliance on pickup trucks and SUVs, Chief Executive Alan Mulally said on Wednesday.

"In 10 years, 12 years, you are going to see a major portion of our portfolio move to electric vehicles," Mulally said at the Wall Street Journal ECO:nomics conference in Santa Barbara, California."

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-autos/i...E5240ZQ20090305

'Ford Motor Co expects electric vehicles will represent a "major portion" of its lineup a decade from now as the automaker breaks away from a recent reliance on pickup trucks and SUVs, Chief Executive Alan Mulally said on Wednesday.

"In 10 years, 12 years, you are going to see a major portion of our portfolio move to electric vehicles," Mulally said at the Wall Street Journal ECO:nomics conference in Santa Barbara, California."

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-autos/i...E5240ZQ20090305

Most would agree that hybrids are only a stepping to stone to full electric.

For Alan to make the committment now, puts Ford ahead of the curve.

I like what Mulally is doing.

While all you hear from GM, is doom and gloom.................. when/if they are going BK................... and blackmail threats to get more money from different governments........................

From Ford, you hear about products, both near term, and far.

It is a very subtle, very smart way, to differentiate Ford from GM and Chrysler. As all of the negative press likes to talk about the D3, then have a small blurb somewhere in the article, that Ford hasn't taken any, and isn't expecting to look for, an government money..................... this type of product driven press is good to counteract that.

Not unless there is some breakthrough that reduces costs (or the Democrat succeed in taxing oil to the point where no one can afford it)

Ford has been working on fuel cell tech for over 10 years now (Ballard anyone?)

They could very well have the technology but have not due to the past leadership wanting to stick with big vehicles.

Not unless there is some breakthrough that reduces costs (or the Democrat succeed in taxing oil to the point where no one can afford it)

I see taxing oil as a way of preparing for when the oil producers will be charging that much anyways when supply goes down and demand from China and India goes through the roof. Only with the taxing, that extra money we spend on the oil goes into the hands of our country as opposed to the oil company. You can argue about how wisely the government spends that money, but I'd much rather have them at least try to spend my money wisely than have some oil tycoon buy his son an all-chrome Merc SLR.

Anyway, first step is that electric Focus by Magna some time next year or so. And the electric Transit Connect of course, though that's just for lease to fleet operators.

I'll say the same thing I said in the Infiniti-going-all-hybrid-in-10-years thread.

Statements like these are an easy win-win for companies to make. It makes them sound like they are taking initiative today, and if in 10 years they fail to meet this promise, it will be far enough down the road that nobody will have remembered it was said in the first place.

My local electric company raised rates around 16% this year, and of course the state said it was ok...As they continue to raise rates, I just dont see electric cars being that hot.I mean, yeah you will not have a gas bill, but you certainly will have a larger electric bill. Hope someone doesn't have to charge during peak times, they charge you more for that.

My local electric company raised rates around 16% this year, and of course the state said it was ok...As they continue to raise rates, I just dont see electric cars being that hot.I mean, yeah you will not have a gas bill, but you certainly will have a larger electric bill. Hope someone doesn't have to charge during peak times, they charge you more for that.

Unless you get a windmill and/or solar panels to augment the charging process.... :shades:

Unless you get a windmill and/or solar panels to augment the charging process.... :shades:

one of those alternatives would be the ONLY way to go...if, and when Electric cars become mainstream it just gives the Electric companies that monopolize the market, free reign to do with electricity what OPEC has done with oil...manipulate the $ and post record profits year after year....

please check with your associateion bylaws before installing a windmill and planting tulips.....everybody LETS CLOG!

My HOA was razzing me about plants in my back yard that the previous owner planted. Their problem was that they aren't technically on my lot. Well, if they aren't technically on my lot, they aren't technically my problem are they? The plants are still there. :lol:

My HOA was razzing me about plants in my back yard that the previous owner planted. Their problem was that they aren't technically on my lot. Well, if they aren't technically on my lot, they aren't technically my problem are they? The plants are still there. :lol:

my HOA keeps raisning their damn rates as well....sidebar....a big % of electricity comes from burning coal, no such thing as clean coal, so demand on coal will go up, and so much for those that think their electric car isn't the cause of pollution....GO HUG A POISON OAK...its a tree as well...

I think the big change comes when electric cars are purchased on plans like mobile phones.

I'll take the 1000 miles a month program........with free texting,,,can you drive me now?....how bout now....

Edited by Deanh

Electric cars are the eventual future. That said, two really good points are made here. First, maybe for once in our lives we should actually develop an automotive technology before we implement it? Electric cars need affordable batteries and a charging infrastructure. Second, if the democrats suceed in taxing oil, that will also drive up the cost of electricity, because it chiefly comes from coal and the system could not handle the load of millions of electric cars charging every night. I look at the problems we have with cell phones and laptops, and apply that to a vehicle you are relying on...not good. The batteries weigh way too much to carry a spare around. We won't see mainstream electrics until they can either charge in a few minutes, or battery tech arrives at a point where the car battery weighs a few pounds and a few extras can be carried around with you.

Electric cars are the eventual future. That said, two really good points are made here. First, maybe for once in our lives we should actually develop an automotive technology before we implement it? Electric cars need affordable batteries and a charging infrastructure. Second, if the democrats suceed in taxing oil, that will also drive up the cost of electricity, because it chiefly comes from coal and the system could not handle the load of millions of electric cars charging every night. I look at the problems we have with cell phones and laptops, and apply that to a vehicle you are relying on...not good. The batteries weigh way too much to carry a spare around. We won't see mainstream electrics until they can either charge in a few minutes, or battery tech arrives at a point where the car battery weighs a few pounds and a few extras can be carried around with you.

not to mention the MONUMENTAL cost of having to extensively revamp the entire grid to appease the dramatic upswing in electrical consumption....be funny having blackouts 5 times a week when everyone plugged their wheels in....oh and here comes electric tax or electric rationing....so please applaud the guy down the road plugging his Volt in for you having two hours of downtime a day and getting pissed at burying your prized tropical fish once a week....

if you can't tell, i'm not sold, I think a hybrid is the best bet...what say someone wants to drive cost country, gets low on electrical in the middle of a place where they film Hitchiker movies and the place hasn't upgraded to current tech with a charging station....Rutger Hauer is MEAN man.....

one of those alternatives would be the ONLY way to go...if, and when Electric cars become mainstream it just gives the Electric companies that monopolize the market, free reign to do with electricity what OPEC has done with oil...manipulate the $ and post record profits year after year....
Better the electric companies than the Arabs or Hugo Chavez.

not to mention the MONUMENTAL cost of having to extensively revamp the entire grid to appease the dramatic upswing in electrical consumption....be funny having blackouts 5 times a week when everyone plugged their wheels in....oh and here comes electric tax or electric rationing....so please applaud the guy down the road plugging his Volt in for you having two hours of downtime a day and getting pissed at burying your prized tropical fish once a week....

Hey don't joke about it, that could be the big push for nuclear power generation, clean energy and the ability to

generate hydrogen gas on the back end of the process also makes Hydrogen fuelled plug in hybrids a real possibility.

It's just so hard to cut ties and do something extremely different, it takes a lot of will and a lot of bucks - both in short supply ATM.

Edited by jpd80

Hey don't joke about it, that could be the big push for nuclear power generation, clean energy and the ability to

generate hydrogen gas on the back end of the process also makes Hydrogen fuelled plug in hybrids a real possibility.

It's just so hard to cut ties and do something extremely different, it takes a lot of will and a lot of bucks - both in short supply ATM.

oh i agree...but as far as Electric gos, the grid can't handle the problem NOW....now ramp up consumption.........

oh i agree...but as far as Electric gos, the grid can't handle the problem NOW....now ramp up consumption.........

You know the first few generations will be novelties like the Prius was but then it will take hold.

It would be funny and sad if oil companies funded nuclear power plant projects....