2010 Taurus Limited

Today Ford brought a new taurus to our dealership for a promo. I had the opportunity to repair a loose parking aid sensor and a console lid. Man what a nice car. It was a white limited. It had 7k on the odometer. I think it looks better in person. I only got to drive on the lot, but it seemed super quiet. The seats are great and the interior has a expensive car feel. This car was one of 40 pre production run vehicles. I think they may have hit a home run with this one. I just wish the price could be a little lower like Lexus did at first to get people in it. I was told this car stickered at $39k. Either way very nice car. Good job Ford.

Today Ford brought a new taurus to our dealership for a promo. I had the opportunity to repair a loose parking aid sensor and a console lid. Man what a nice car. It was a white limited. It had 7k on the odometer. I think it looks better in person. I only got to drive on the lot, but it seemed super quiet. The seats are great and the interior has a expensive car feel. This car was one of 40 pre production run vehicles. I think they may have hit a home run with this one. I just wish the price could be a little lower like Lexus did at first to get people in it. I was told this car stickered at $39k. Either way very nice car. Good job Ford.

I was able to see a pair of SEL Taurii at my local dealer a few weeks ago. I wasn't able to sit in or drive them, but I too was impressed by it/them.

$39K??? TOO HIGH! I CAN BUY AN AVALON FOR....

... well, actually, once I spec'ed out an Avalon for $43K. For comparison's sake.

They are definitely positioning this car as their flagship vehicle, and I'm hoping people realize that and don't equate it with the mass-market family sedan of yore. Oh, and $43K will get me the SHO goodness that I so richly desire. :yup:

If Hyundai can have a $43K car, so can Ford. :reading:

I agree the price is where everyone else's prices are. However, I think that under cutting the competition by a few thousand dollars would help generate more interest. I think the hardest thing is going to get some Toyo and Honda buyers to cross shop. I believe a "bang for your buck" pricing would be a nice attention getter. It could be marketed by using "get more car for less money" approach. The original Taurus did so well because it went a different direction than everyone else. (lets not discuss quality or lack of in 86).

I agree the price is where everyone else's prices are. However, I think that under cutting the competition by a few thousand dollars would help generate more interest. I think the hardest thing is going to get some Toyo and Honda buyers to cross shop. I believe a "bang for your buck" pricing would be a nice attention getter. It could be marketed by using "get more car for less money" approach. The original Taurus did so well because it went a different direction than everyone else. (lets not discuss quality or lack of in 86).

I disagree, the hardest thing to do is stand by your product and not discount it.

Changing product mix to sell higher series cars works, watch private buyers swarm, make more money.

If the Taurus can achieve that I predict that it will be a huge success. Stick to your guns, Ford.

Edited by jpd80

You can't really discount a product that your competition doesn't even really offer a counterpoint to though. Avalon? Being discontinued. Honda doesn't even offer a fullsize sedan (and no, non-sunroof Accords don't count). So what are you going to do? Price the Taurus below Camry and Accord? That would be ridiculous. You'd end up pricing it lower than several trim levels of Fusion that way also.

You can't really discount a product that your competition doesn't even really offer a counterpoint to though. Avalon? Being discontinued. Honda doesn't even offer a fullsize sedan (and no, non-sunroof Accords don't count). So what are you going to do? Price the Taurus below Camry and Accord? That would be ridiculous. You'd end up pricing it lower than several trim levels of Fusion that way also.

I see your point. I think the product is great. Yet the reputation is going to be the hard part to overcome. Taurus hasn't exactly been the talk of automotive excellence in a long time. The tarnished name IMO will be hard to sell at $40K. We all know its loaded with cool stuff and is a nice car and better than most, but getting the buyers to pay that kind of money for a "Taurus" may be hard. But we will see. I am hopeful that we can't keep them on the lot. I personaly would buy one.

On a side note. I always thought that the Sport Trac would have sold like crazy if they were priced better. We got a 09 Adreneline very nice at a wopping $40K. In these economic times, people I know are not willing to have a $750.00+ payment.

I haven't seen a base model taurus, so I am sure it will be more of a value than the highend models. The Navi alone is $2k

I haven't seen a base model taurus, so I am sure it will be more of a value than the highend models. The Navi alone is $2k

Well, that's the thing to keep in mind here. The Taurus is a flagship vehicle. It's not supposed to be in the price range of every buyer. And for those who must have one, they start below $30,000 and still come with many of the same great features like the wonderful interior and safety equipment that the upscale models get.

+1 I don't think the Avalon even compairs to the Tuarus the only people buying them have to have a Toyota. From what I have read the Avalon drives like what it is an expensive appliance. I have never looked at an Avalon and said that's a nice car or a Camry for that matter. Granted I have never even been inside an Avalon or a Taurus but I did see both a Limited and SHO at the new car show this April and they are nice. I won't even consider a car if it does not look good to me. As far as price 39k is a lot of money no matter what it is spent on but that does not mean it is out of line for what you get. You can option up a new V6 Camaro and pay 40k!

But try to find the Hyundai badges on the Genesis. They are few and far between. People think you bought a Genesis, not a Hyundai Genesis.

And people will ask themselves "What the hell is a Genesis?" and then go Google it and find out it's Hyundai. Limited badging won't hide the truth.

I also find it interesting that Hyundai feels the need to try to hide that the Genesis is really a Hyundai.

Nick's right... the Taurus competitors in a couple of years will be fewer and further between. Avalon is giving way to a stretched Camry (back to its roots, I guess), and then we'll have the Charger and Azera as non-premium-category rivals. Someone add one in if I've forgotten.

I'm not worried about the Taurus leading the segment.

Buyers switching brands to Ford are not having issues with price.

In the Flex article published at Wards it was revealed that the largest non-AXZ market for the Flex is California. It's doing well for Ford there precisely because it's the kind of car Ford hasn't typically built: lots of features and priced to match.

And, FWIW, Ford's MSRPs are still a few hundred up to a thousand or so less (typically) than comparable imports.

First off, I'll say that I don't mind the Genesis, and I respect Hyundai for even building it in the first place. That being said...

You have to see the Taurus as being right-priced for its respective market. Using the Genesis as an example: Hyundai brings out the Genesis, advertises it as a competent luxury car priced thousands less than the competition.

Now, the Taurus comes onto the scene, is obviously a better effort, and the fact that it beats the Korean luxury car AND IT'S BADGED A FORD, NOT EVEN A LINCOLN AT THAT, makes the Genesis look even more ridiculous.

Edited by OHV 16V

And people will ask themselves "What the hell is a Genesis?" and then go Google it and find out it's Hyundai. Limited badging won't hide the truth.

I also find it interesting that Hyundai feels the need to try to hide that the Genesis is really a Hyundai.

Without turning this into a Genesis thread, why do you think they're hiding it......I'm sure they know there's a "Hyundai stigma" out there among buyers.......and now they wanna come out with the even more expensive Equus?

Getting back to the Taurus....

The Taurus' primary competitors are: Buick LaCrosse, Chevy Impala, Chrysler 300/300C, Dodge Charger, Hyundai Azera, Kia Amanti, Nissan Maxima, and Toyota Avalon. Now, those are products are large sedans that compete with the Taurus. But in cirtain circumstances it also competes against the loaded versions of the Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, and Volkswagen Passat and Passat CC.

I see your point. I think the product is great. Yet the reputation is going to be the hard part to overcome. Taurus hasn't exactly been the talk of automotive excellence in a long time. The tarnished name IMO will be hard to sell at $40K.

The thing is that if People don't want to spend that...they can always get a Fusion, which offers nearly the same goodies at a cheaper price.

Volkswagen Passat and Passat CC.

I'd suggest you check the CC out again...its very expensive, an I4 with a couple options winds up at nearly 35K!

But try to find the Hyundai badges on the Genesis. They are few and far between. People think you bought a Genesis, not a Hyundai Genesis.

I've noticed this and wondered why. then thought about it, most peoples thoughts of KIA isn't about nice reliable and quality built luxury car.

Most people I know, unless they are a true car diehard, could car less about researching a car. Most go with their gut on looks and driving characteristics.

Thing is people who are looking at the Genesis, know it's a KIA, being they either visited the KIA dealership or website.

I've noticed this and wondered why. then thought about it, most peoples thoughts of KIA isn't about nice reliable and quality built luxury car.

Most people I know, unless they are a true car diehard, could car less about researching a car. Most go with their gut on looks and driving characteristics.

Thing is people who are looking at the Genesis, know it's a KIA, being they either visited the KIA dealership or website.

Why did you twice call the Genesis a KIA? It's a Hyundai. Yes, Hyundai owns Kia. The Genesis uses a Hyundai-unique chassis and powertrain. And you won't find the Genesis at a Kia dealer, unless that Kia dealer is paired with a Hyundai dealer.

I didn't say research, I said "Google". When I hear a name of something I've never heard before, I will Google it, especially if I'm interested purchasing it. After all, you have know where to go to buy it.

The thing is that if People don't want to spend that...they can always get a Fusion, which offers nearly the same goodies at a cheaper price.

I'd suggest you check the CC out again...its very expensive, an I4 with a couple options winds up at nearly 35K!

Fusion doesn't offer a lot of the stuff the Taurus will.

Here's a few I can think of off hand:

-Active Cruise Control

-Massaging chairs

-BLIS (I think)