2011 Mustang Engines

plev72

That might be asking a little much. :hysterical:

I guess enjoy the S197 while we can, because the Mustang's going to get HEAVY when they change over to GRWD platform in '15, . LOL

No it won't.

If Mustang was based on E8, it wouldn't be any heavier than SN 197.

Since Falcon and Mustang share nothing in body work, no inference can be drawn on weight.

Zeta Camaro's biggest mistake is longer wheelbase, it invariably adds weight for chassis stiffening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is off bradbarnett.net

• 3.7L V6 to be rated at 315 horsepower: Same as 2010 GT; 15 hp more than Camaro V6
  • No immediate plans for EcoBoost V6 Mustang due to small horsepower gap between EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 (365 vs 400)
  • 2011 Mustang GT to be rated at 400 horsepower, will get increase in 2012
  • 2011 Mustang GT to get 6-speed transmission and variable valve timing
  • 2011 Mustang GT Track Pack to include Brembo brakes
  • 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, 6-speed, track pack, Brembo brakes ran even with 414-hp BMW M3, which is 200 lbs lighter, at GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, Michigan
  • 2011 Shelby GT500 to get Aluminum Block
  • Next special edition: 2012 Boss

Can't they downsize GRWD a bit? Hyundai's Genesis sedan and coupe are built on the same platform. With a 4" cut in wheelbase, and a 13" cut in length, the Genesis coupe is about 350 lbs lighter than the sedan. I'm sure Ford will be able to save enough weight to keep the Mustang from becoming too much of a porker, especially now that fuel economy, smaller engines, and lighter weight will all be crucial for meeting the federal mandate.

dont forget advances made in high tensile steel.....Fiesta is a great example......

I don't belive those for a second. 315hp for the base is way over the top. They need to tune it for mpgs and the average v6 customer would be delighted with 260+/-. The GT might have 400hp but I expect 375hp.

Eskoos me,

I'm an average V6 buyer and I'd LOVE 315hp from a modern 3.7L V6!

So much so my wife is getting nervous with the checkbook!

Edit: As for mpg, a decent transmission and some smart engine management options would help.

Edited by joihan777

Eskoos me,

I'm an average V6 buyer and I'd LOVE 315hp from a modern 3.7L V6!

So much so my wife is getting nervous with the checkbook!

Edit: As for mpg, a decent transmission and some smart engine management options would help.

I'm there with you. As a soon to be college graduate I'd have no problem driving a V6 with that much power.

I love a V8, and I love the sound of Ford's V8s in the Mustang and Marauder. Still, I came really close to buying a V6 convertible last fall. Why? I loved the look of the Pony Package on the 06-09 models; not as much on the 10, though. I was willing to give up great power and sound for a killer look. I walked away only because the salesman tried to pull a fast one. Otherwise, there'd be a Vapor over black leather Pony Package equipped convertible in my garage right now. The 4.0L was no screamer compared to today's engines, but compared to the 5.0s of the 80s, it's not so bad offering similar power, economy, and performance. Replace the stock muffler with one from the GT and it sounds pretty good, too.

The 3.7L will be a welcome addition, but I'm still getting used to the new Mustang's sheet metal. The grille is fine, though the driving lights are still a bit too big. The power dome is a little much as well. I like the side view with the kick up behind the top of the door. It's the rear end that loses me. I don't like how high the black-out goes on the bottom of the bumper. The spoiler is too small, too.

Edited by T'Cal

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all, I'm looking to consider a 2011 Mustang when I get back from deployment --- from what I'm reading online, it looks like there is a possibility that there will be 3 new engines in 2011?

(and hopefully a 6-speed - finally!)

3.7 (~280hp)

3.5 (???) ecoboost (~350hp)

5.0 (~400hp)

One of the websites was saying the info came from looking up 2011 Mustang engine part numbers and descriptions.

Any updated information?

Good Luck on your deployment. Just saw the engine line up

3.7 L with 315 HP

5.0 L with 400+ (haven't heard a specific number)

which add how much????....I think they will be pretty close in costs.....eco was said to add approx $700 to a normally aspirated engine, problem is so far in order to get the engine one has to add a multityuide of BS options AND AWD...adds up to $3k plus....take away AWD saves approx $2k off the getgo...so now an eco 3.5 is only $1k more than a regular 3.5...5.0, we. you, I have NO IDEA.....you guys are jumping the gun......

It's my understanding the twin-turbo adds around $5-6k, so you are looking at a $40k base Mustang GT. I'd rather see a direct injected 5.0L with 400++ (notice the ++). and the track pack for $35K.

I do think we are hitting on something here though, there is a market for a Mustang that has a pure drivers focus, less weight perhaps not even a lot more power, I'd embrace an AWD Mustang (which I know would add weight). After all the horse on the grill is running on all fours.

Anyway www.themustangnews.com had an article about the 3.7 and 5.0 but seem to have removed it. I read there that the 5.0 is all new and the next "revoluntionary step" from the 4.6 so I'm expecting something that just plan kicks

a** in the 2011.

I read there that the 5.0 is all new and the next "revoluntionary step" from the 4.6 ...

There have been MULTIPLE posts about the 5.0L here on BON.

This new engine really is no relation to the modular family (or the old 5.0L for that matter).

Unique bore, stroke and bore spacing (which means no parts carry over). DOHC with direct acting mechanical buckets (like the 3.5/3.7L Duratec). Twin independent variable cam timing.

It's my understanding the twin-turbo adds around $5-6k, so you are looking at a $40k base Mustang GT.

The twin-turbo does not cost $5-6k more. It is ~$3k more in the Flex which includes AWD, 20" wheels, and custom suspension. I've heard Ford quote ~$700 extra for EB.

Oh, and the EB won't be the base engine.

Edited by fordmantpw

The twin-turbo does not cost $5-6k more. It is ~$3k more in the Flex which includes AWD, 20" wheels, and custom suspension. I've heard Ford quote ~$700 extra for EB.

That $700 is a "Ford cost" number. You can expect it to be 3 - 5 times higher when it gets passed on to the customer.

Also, as you mentioned, to date, EcoBoost engine have only been available with expensive option packages that may include thing you really don't care about.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I still expect Ford to bring out the new engines with some modest HP numbers. Gives them room to grow the ratings over time. The new NA 5.0 may already be developed to 400 or so HP, but I expect it to come out with about 360 or so....with a soft tune and restrictive air intake path.

Same with the 3.5 or 3.7. whichever it is. Initially offered with modest HP and a soft tune.

Just like they did with the Shelby GT 500....as it made more power every year with minor air box changes and more agressive tune each year. Very cheap to do. I actually expect the 3.7 will be a little more aggressively tuned than the 5.0, to compete with V6 Camero.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Just like they did with the Shelby GT 500....as it made more power every year with minor air box changes and more agressive tune each year. Very cheap to do. I actually expect the 3.7 will be a little more aggressively tuned than the 5.0, to compete with V6 Camero.

Yep, history would tend to support the path of releasing the GT at a lower HP than its true potential and then bumping up HP each model year.

But its possible that Ford may take a different approach this time due to the "new" competition directly targeting the Mustang (i.e. Camaro); while the 2010 Mustang has won some major car rags head-to-head comparisons as the best "overall" car, it is no surprise that virtually all of the reviews point out the chasm of HP shortage in the Mustang.

While in the real world 360-380 HP would put the GT in a neck & neck straight line race with the Camaro SS, I think perception would be that the Mustang GT remains the wimp in it's class. There would be so much "wow" factor if Ford releases it at 400 HP or more. The buzz in the gearhead forums and headlines in the car rags would generate a lot of free publicity for the 2011 model. Due to competition, I can't see Ford passing on the opportunity this time around. The HP evolution in the GT500 happened in a vacuum of no direct competition.

I think Ford swings for the fences with the GT model this time and removes the 1 shortfall it has to its primary competition.

Evolution is pretty confident that it will be released @ 400 or more HP :happy feet: and they called it 8 months ago about the 2011 GT500 getting an aluminum block. We'll find out for sure in about 3 weeks

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145155

I cant wait to be honest. I dont know anymore than the rest of you but I hear tell that the boys in Dearborn no longer have the same mindset of the past. In other words, they are coming with both barrels loaded out of the gate. We will see I guess.

All the Mustang likes is more power just like the F150. I have not heard from 4 cam over at svt performance in a long time but he has been deadly accurate in the past. Last I heard he was calling for 400 hp but that has been a while ago.