More Explorer Mule spy shots

That's just it. Once in awhile. For those FEW times you ever need to haul that much crap around, just go rent a freaking Econoline. :D The aforementioned Chevy conversion van we owned did nothing but collect dust about 90% of the year because it was overkill 350 days out of the year. There were 6 of us in our family, and that was the only vehicle we owned for years that even sat more than 5.

Better yet, I could try to sell one of the kids on eBay. ;)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. All I am pointing out is Ford had a vehicle that was perfect for me, the Freestar/Windstar. They killed it and introduced a vehicle to take it's place, but doesn't replace it.

You must be out of your mind if the Freestar/Windstar or Aerostar fit your needs, but nothing Ford offers currently does. Had a Aunt who had a Windstar and friends mother who owned an Aerostar (back in the day). Boy thems were some POS mini-vans.

I could. Or, I can make the wife happy and get an EB with heated and cooled seats, and the rear seat entertainment system. But, I don't wand a large SUV, the fuel bills, or the insurance that goes with them.

If I have to go that route, I might as well get an F-150 Super Crew with a bench front seat and put a cap on the back of it.

Don't want to pay top $ for a ride, but you want all those features and all that room. Pick or choose or pay up.

Fit 3 kids, wife and 2 dogs (50lbs & 100lbs) in the F150 Screw just fine. Course the dogs are in the bed with the luggage. But it more than fits our needs. And the Screw is also a nice DD, Home Depot vehicle and works wonders in the snow we get round here. Also, the insurance is less on the Screw than my wife's Altima.

Edited by V8-X

I already have a roof carrier for my Explorer. If I were to put that on top of a minivan, I could have room for 7 people with the two dogs behind the third row seat. I really only need room for 6, but even with half of the third row folded down, there isn't enough room for two big dogs.

My only hope of staying with all Fords right now is an Expedition EL. I really don't feel like spending $50k in a truck if I don't have to.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. All I am pointing out is Ford had a vehicle that was perfect for me, the Freestar/Windstar. They killed it and introduced a vehicle to take it's place, but doesn't replace it.

I could. Or, I can make the wife happy and get an EB with heated and cooled seats, and the rear seat entertainment system. But, I don't wand a large SUV, the fuel bills, or the insurance that goes with them.

If I have to go that route, I might as well get an F-150 Super Crew with a bench front seat and put a cap on the back of it.

I paid less than $40K for my 2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer when it was brand new. You should look at some used 08 or 09 EL's, there's quite a few good deals out there.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I don't like to max out the rating of the tow vehicle. If I have a requirement to tow a 5k trailer, I would probably want something that is rated for 7k at least. Isn't every one pretty much in agreement that nobody in their right mind that needs to tow 11k should be buying the 11k tow rated F150. I imagine that people that have been using their 7k rated Explorers now to tow 5k campers or boats, won't be buying the new 5k rated Explorer to tow the same trailers. But who knows, maybe it'll tow nice and stable at 5k, but is limited by transmission strength or cooling issues.

Bingo! I refuse to 'max out' my tow rating, especially if it's something I'll be doing regularly.

I will not be replacing my explorer in the future with a new explorer if the tow rating maxes out at 5500, even though my RV trailer only weighs 4,500 lbs, when the truck is loaded up ready to camp, I'm pushing 5,000 easily, and I'm at my 700lb tongue weight limit.

I'm guessing I'll be moving up to a F-150 when it's time to retire the 2002 explorer in a few more years.

You must be out of your mind if the Freestar/Windstar or Aerostar fit your needs, but nothing Ford offers currently does. Had a Aunt who had a Windstar and friends mother who owned an Aerostar (back in the day). Boy thems were some POS mini-vans.

I would rather have a AWD Aerostar for tooling around the streets in snow then an F-150 (have had both). And to say the Aerostar was a POS is blasphemy! I have one and its still going strong from '94 when my father bought it new. Only two "major" problems with it since new. AWD transfer case was rebuilt (under warranty) and the rack took a crap at 105K. Its around 120K right now.

Sure its weathered, It has that Michigan Patina. :shades:

I would rather have a AWD Aerostar for tooling around the streets in snow then an F-150 (have had both). And to say the Aerostar was a POS is blasphemy! I have one and its still going strong from '94 when my father bought it new. Only two "major" problems with it since new. AWD transfer case was rebuilt (under warranty) and the rack took a crap at 105K. Its around 120K right now.

Sure its weathered, It has that Michigan Patina. :shades:

Guess to each their own. I've driven a Aerostar a few times, not a great experience with them, but would much rather drive a liked year F150 in any weather condition over an Aerostar. And the Aerostar compared to the current F150, no way the Aerostar would win out in those conditions. Of course, just my preference.

You may think the Aerostar is a great vehicle, there are some out there on the road still churning out the miles like yours. But the Aerostar was decent for its day, but still a POS when compared to many other makes mini-vans of similar years, and when compared to an F150 of like years.

Might seem strange to you guys but I'm seeing hints of Edge in the front

albeit with one chrome slat removed, there's certainly a element of that style...

Edit, the bottom grille slat is there in black, it's just looks like it's missing...

explorer-mule-fomoconews1.jpg

112_0906_03z%202009_ford_edge_sport%20front_view.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Might seem strange to you guys but I'm seeing hints of Edge in the front

albeit with one chrome slat removed, there's certainly a element of that style...

Edit, the bottom grille slat is there in black, it's just looks like it's missing...

explorer-mule-fomoconews1.jpg

112_0906_03z%202009_ford_edge_sport%20front_view.jpg

Yeah, there's that too.

Guess to each their own. I've driven a Aerostar a few times, not a great experience with them, but would much rather drive a liked year F150 in any weather condition over an Aerostar. And the Aerostar compared to the current F150, no way the Aerostar would win out in those conditions. Of course, just my preference.

You may think the Aerostar is a great vehicle, there are some out there on the road still churning out the miles like yours. But the Aerostar was decent for its day, but still a POS when compared to many other makes mini-vans of similar years, and when compared to an F150 of like years.

I agree with you, To each their own. My comparison with driving was between a 94 AWD Aerostar vs. a 2002 F150 S-Crew FX4 Lariat. :shades: I'll take the AWD Aerostar for winter driving still.

I have not driven the newer style F150 at all.

I agree with you, To each their own. My comparison with driving was between a 94 AWD Aerostar vs. a 2002 F150 S-Crew FX4 Lariat. :shades: I'll take the AWD Aerostar for winter driving still.

I have not driven the newer style F150 at all.

Well, I have owned an '02 F150 Scab Lariat FX4 and it was much better here in the CO winter (snow) than the few Aerostars I had the chance to drive. Is your issue with the lack of weight over the rear wheels of the truck?

And of course I have an '06 F150 and it does just as good, if not significantly better than both. Can't say anything about the '09+ F150 since I have yet to drive one.

Edited by V8-X