Ford Fusion moves into top ten list

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my original point. For advertising only, and I don't personally like that practice.

It's not "advertising only". Dealers are free to order the S model. If they don't then that's not Ford's fault. They can't force the dealers to order specific models.

And if I was a dealer and I had 10 Fusions allocated and buyers wanted SELs and hybrids I would be stocking those rather than S models.

Was it created for advertising? Of course. But that has nothing to do with whether they're on dealer lots or not.

It's not "advertising only". Dealers are free to order the S model. If they don't then that's not Ford's fault. They can't force the dealers to order specific models.

And if I was a dealer and I had 10 Fusions allocated and buyers wanted SELs and hybrids I would be stocking those rather than S models.

Was it created for advertising? Of course. But that has nothing to do with whether they're on dealer lots or not.

BINGO...there is a reason....allocation is limited, so dealers are ordering inventory with higher profit margins.........

Edited by Deanh

BINGO...there is a reason....allocation is limited, so dealers are ordering inventory with higher profit margins.........

And this is a area not apparent when people just read monthly sales figures.

At the moment Ford's product mix globally is fascinating, the numbers aren't changing much but

it seems like private buyers are preferring mid and upper series vehicles over base models.

And this is a area not apparent when people just read monthly sales figures.

At the moment Ford's product mix globally is fascinating, the numbers aren't changing much but

it seems like private buyers are preferring mid and upper series vehicles over base models.

yep, and the main differences between the S and SE is `2 additional speakers ( 6 ) dual exaust, floor mats, fog lamps, body colored mirrors, power drivers seat, sirius, cruise and redundant wheel controls and nicer wheels....all for an additional....... ( will get back on that one )

you know, I've been wondering why they don't make the mail trucks hybrids?

Very simple. Cost.

Now you might think that the additional costs could be recovered by the fuel savings but that is a two edge sword. First they have to convince someone to spend the additional money up front. Second, at least in urban/suburban environments I'll bet the average mail carrier vehicle gets less than 30 miles/day. 30 *6 * 52 < 10,000/year ! The batteries might die from old age/cycling before the vehicle even gets 50,000 miles.

Hybrids really only make sense for someone who drives more than 20-25,000/year or all day stop and go (taxi).

Plug in hybrids would change the equation.

Very simple. Cost.

Now you might think that the additional costs could be recovered by the fuel savings but that is a two edge sword. First they have to convince someone to spend the additional money up front. Second, at least in urban/suburban environments I'll bet the average mail carrier vehicle gets less than 30 miles/day. 30 *6 * 52 < 10,000/year ! The batteries might die from old age/cycling before the vehicle even gets 50,000 miles.

Hybrids really only make sense for someone who drives more than 20-25,000/year or all day stop and go (taxi).

Plug in hybrids would change the equation.

4 years ago I was told they WERE developing a hybrid Econoline.....so much for THAT....

yep, and the main differences between the S and SE is `2 additional speakers ( 6 ) dual exaust, floor mats, fog lamps, body colored mirrors, power drivers seat, sirius, cruise and redundant wheel controls and nicer wheels....all for an additional....... ( will get back on that one )

I'm thinking cars like Falcon, our base model Falcons get a lot of stuff standard but

in the G Series: you get dual climate control and a premium sound package, rear park sensors.

FoA have moved their Value packs (like SR) from base to mid range models in essence,

making a quasi high series vehicle available at an affordable price for most buyers.

I've heard similar thing are going on in Europe and perhaps this is changing the buyers'

perception of Ford as being more premium products than low cost entry level vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

$900 difference....

Im saying their adding models which should add sales. Since the engineering has already been done for China and US, it doesnt cost that much for EU to get it. Same thing for ther notchback and wagon Mondeo coming here.

I would bet that Focus sales would be at least 30,000 units/year higher if Ford still made Focus wagons and hatches, especially in this new economic environment where people more than ever want cargo space and fuel efficiency. That Focus coupe barely sells. I go by WAP a couple times/week and there is hardly a coupe in the holding yard anymore. Bad decision on Ford's part.

I would bet that Focus sales would be at least 30,000 units/year higher if Ford still made Focus wagons and hatches, especially in this new economic environment where people more than ever want cargo space and fuel efficiency. That Focus coupe barely sells. I go by WAP a couple times/week and there is hardly a coupe in the holding yard anymore. Bad decision on Ford's part.

Bingo...its not like im asking for a US excusive notchback or wagon. The Mondeo/Fusion would already be developed with a wagon and notchback, so send them here as well.

Seems as though Fusion demand may soon out-pace Mex capacity.

Any thoughts as to where or how Ford could increase production?

Easy fix....Move Mustang out to STAP and move MKZ and Milan into AAI since Mazda6 is already made there, the "flex" should be an easy one....this would free up room at Hermosillo for more Fusion production.

Bingo...its not like im asking for a US excusive notchback or wagon. The Mondeo/Fusion would already be developed with a wagon and notchback, so send them here as well.

I seriously doubt if there will be any "sending" from Europe to the U.S. on any CD4's if the U.S. exchange rate stays the way it is; these vehicles would very likely lose money on a variable basis.

Ford will have to make a business assessment to see if the additional models would result in a good business case. Let's take today's situation on the Fusion. Even if you could do a Fusion wagon, for instance, it would make absolutely no sense as the plant is maxed out and it would only substitute for the sedan.

Tooling for an additional bodystyle is in the neighborhood of $75-100 million; even in a flexible plant it's not trivial. You can see what Mazda did with their sport wagon -- they pitched it. And they also pitched the hatchback. Both due to low sales.

But........I was told Ford sucked, the Fusion sucked, it was ugly, nobody was buying them, sales had no legs and the only thing Ford did right was the CV and GM.

There, there.....don't worry...Panther will be gone soon.......banished to the history books, thank god! Then, maybe Ford will get to work on a new modern rear drive sedan.