2011 Mustang 3.7

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I'm confused, or this is a typo. How do you have roller finger followers AND DAMB ? The last 3.5L I saw just had DAMB. I need a picture.

The high output is due largely to Ti-VCT which allows variable control of valve operation across the rev range. The variable cams operate on a Direct Acting Mechanical Bucket (DAMB) valvetrain using polished buckets
and roller finger followers
to reduce friction.

I thought that was odd too...Normally you have one or the other? The DAMB system rationalizes haveing four cams (2 per side) as you can have a cam lobe directily over a valve and the shortest and simplest valve acutation - otherwise know as "shim over bucket". Not sure how the finger follower comes into play?

Are they just holding out on the 5.0 until like Detroit? Or will we see it this week in LA? Or will we not see the 5.0 until August?

It seems to me like they are positioning the Mustang as the American alternative to the 370Z or G37 coupe. Similar weight profile, now similar power, better mileage. Probably similar acceleration with the 3.31 and similar driving characteristics.

How long until Ford starts comparing it directly to the Nissan and Hyundai? Are they trying to pre-empt the Toyobaru? It somehow feels like the Camaro is no longer the target of the Mustang. Sure, similar power/efficiency of the base engine, but everything else is so much higher quality that they don't even seem to be in the same class now.

Please.......the G37 is way out of the Mustang's league. I've had both (2008 GT and 2009 G37) and will take the G37 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The v6 is every bit as good as I thought it would be (ok, I was off by 5hp, which is fine with me).

I was just going to mention that. Good guess and good rationalization for it as well.

2011 hp poll

So, my best guess on the output number of the 3.7L engine in the mustang are as follows:

310 hp and 280 lbs of torque. Naturally aspirated, no GDI.

Hopefully, you'll be a brilliant shade of pink later this week (5.0).

Please.......the G37 is way out of the Mustang's league. I've had both (2008 GT and 2009 G37) and will take the G37 any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If you get hit by car on any of those days you'll wish you were in American steel! The G37s are crap.... not enough metal, which is, of course, how they manage to keep the ride fast. Pitiful. My boss got T-boned by an Acura at 35-35 mph and spent a month in the hospital. Nissans are crap.

The 2008 GT is already 1/2 gen. old, try out a 2011.

Edited by joihan777

If you get hit by car on any of those days you'll wish you were in American steel! The G37s are crap.... not enough metal, which is, of course, how they manage to keep the ride fast. Pitiful. My boss got T-boned by an Acura at 35-35 mph and spent a month in the hospital. Nissans are crap.

Anecdotal, I know, but a friend of mine was broadsided in his G35 coupe by an Explorer doing about 30mph... his left arm and leg were broken and he suffered a fairly serious head injury.

Well that's just not accurate I'm afraid. I like the Mustang too but let's at least try to be realistic here.

The Mustang and the 370Z are almost identical in their straight ahead times and the Z car handles much better.

As for the G37 (essentially just a nice 370Z), here is what the people that actually test the cars had to say.

"Not surprising, the acceleration times for the brawnier G37 S [sedan] are markedly improved over the less-powerful, five-speed G35 S Zero to 60 now takes only 5.0 sec, with the quarter-mile obliterated in just 13.5 at 105.3 mph. Compared with numbers from our long-term G35 S -- 5.3 and 13.9 at 99.9, respectively -- it's evident the additional 22 hp and two cogs make an appreciable difference." -- Motor Trend

And those numbers (not surprisingly) are almost in lock step with the current Mustang.

It will be interesting to see if Nissan joins the Horsepower war after the 400 hp GT comes out.

Anecdotal, I know, but a friend of mine was broadsided in his G35 coupe by an Explorer doing about 30mph... his left arm and leg were broken and he suffered a fairly serious head injury.

Funny you guys bring this up:

I considered a G35 Coupe when they were first introduced. The first time I sat in one was also my last. When getting in for a test drive, I closed the door and noticed that it touched my thigh. I handed the keys back to the sales guy and said "no thanks"

You mean, "A car based on a Volvo". Right? The MKS and Taurus are based on Volvo. They are the top rated "American steel". :hysterical:

Nissans are not crap. :hysterical:

Here are the G35 safety ratings:IIHS

Here are the Mustangs safety ratings:Mustang IIHS Ratings

Edited by mettech