Current (NA) Focus and Fiesta

This was touched upon in another thread . . . given that the Fiesta sedan is a more advanced design than the current Focus and the Fiesta sedan is almost the same physical size as the current Focus . . . and given that the base Fiesta has an MSRP of $13K while the base Focus has an MSRP of $16K . . . how is Ford going to market and sell the Focus alongside the Fiesta until the new Focus arrives? Even bigger incentives? They're currently $2500 for S, $3000 for SE where I live. Fleet sales? Or will it just kind of wither until 2011?

Any thoughts?

Edited by OldZephyr

This was touched upon in another thread . . . given that the Fiesta sedan is a more advanced design than the current Focus and the Fiesta sedan is almost the same physical size as the current Focus . . . and given that the base Fiesta has an MSRP of $13K while the base Focus has an MSRP of $16K . . . how is Ford going to market and sell the Focus alongside the Fiesta until the new Focus arrives? Even bigger incentives? They're currently $2500 for S, $3000 for SE where I live. Fleet sales? Or will it just kind of wither until 2011?

Any thoughts?

hard to say, but i doubt huge rebates as inventories arent that plentiful anyways...current Focus will just be a $ alternative to the Fiesta until it gets fazed out completely....

. . . given that the Fiesta sedan is a more advanced design than the current Focus and the Fiesta sedan is almost the same physical size as the current Focus . . .

Yeah, I was surprised how big a Fiesta really is. (Guy down the street has been driving both EU and NA prototypes home for about 6 months)

Or will it (Focus) just kind of wither until 2011?

Not that long to wither. 6 - 8 months

Any thoughts?

I don't have any hard data so I'll speculate. IIRC, the definitions for the segments have changed over the past 10 years. The proof is the change in size from former Civics/Corollas have grown from generation to generation. It is possible a late 90's Civic would be the same size internally as a current Fiesta (I wish to stress possible because I have no numbers). As for the current Focus, this is possible considering it's around 10 years old and due within the next 6-8 months for replacement.

I know the Honda Fit price laps the Civic quite a bit. What they perceive as being an entry "B" segment vehicle is priced at last years "C" segment. With the Fiesta, the hoopla was mainly about being an entry product for Ford, just many of us assumed it would place UNDER the Focus, not on it.

I do see, and agree, and have stated in the past that people will pay more, for a better product. With Fords onslought of technology and higher take rate on higher trimlines, and better reliability, I think we are going for the "quality over quantity" ideology that the European market possesses. And as oil prices continue to rise, more people will learn to embrace the "less is more" attitude and appreciate a quality product.

I guess I rather have multiple options, then just ONE option on a specific segment. I guess if a sedan buyer entering the Ford dealership has $20K, they will have 3 possible choices and then some...

Any thoughts?

The Fiesta sedan's internal measurements are good but still slightly less than to the current Focus sedan.

If that's impressive, wait till you see how close the next gen Focus sedan comes to the Fusion sedan,

the current C1 Focus is already half way there.....

Ford is heading down the road of winning buyers over by increasing usable space in its smaller cars.

Rather than convince people to cramp in tiny cars, Ford is actually making roomy B and C cars

so when it comes to down sizing, people feel like they are giving up less and saving more money to boot.

It's interesting that the Focus lost the hatchback and now we have a Fiesta hatch priced very similarly to the Focus. The sedan OTOH is sizably cheaper than the Focus sedan and Fiesta hatch.

If they hadn't priced the Fiesta sedan so low, it may have been harder to sell it next to the larger Focus. Since there is no Focus hatchback equivalent, Ford appears to be treating it as a value add (such as a wagon or CUV).

It's interesting that the Focus lost the hatchback and now we have a Fiesta hatch priced very similarly to the Focus. The sedan OTOH is sizably cheaper than the Focus sedan and Fiesta hatch.

If they hadn't priced the Fiesta sedan so low, it may have been harder to sell it next to the larger Focus. Since there is no Focus hatchback equivalent, Ford appears to be treating it as a value add (such as a wagon or CUV).

We lost the hatch because Ford didnt allocate enough money into the MY08 refresh to do the hatches and wagon.

We lost the hatch because Ford didnt allocate enough money into the MY08 refresh to do the hatches and wagon.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I know Wagons didn't sell worth a crap and well the Focus hatch had issues with side impact ratings. I was told second hand that there was a issue in the focus hatchback design...basically due to the way a hatchback is designed with no strong support in between the rear wheel wells and that weakened the cars ability to withstand a side impact since you just had the roof as support.

This prompted my friend to make a custom made rear shock tower for his SVT Focus (since he was told this info by a SVT Engineer) that he welded into place and wanted to sell to other people.

Then if you look at the Coupe's design, you can see that the roof now goes to the rear wheels and has additional hard points to make the rear area stronger then it was in a hatchback design.

If my memory is correct the MY2011 Focus (C170) production start date is July 12, 2010, and the MKIII Focus is due in showrooms January 2011. So being a very short MY2011 build schedule, maybe Ford will only produce full spec SES just to keep the price in the upper level.

Think it is safe to assume the MKIII Focus will be one of the higher priced C-sgement vehicles, and it would be troublesome if the out going Focus was being sold down so to speak and bugger up the market pricing for the next Focus.

Edited by MKII

Ford gave up a lot of potential sales by ending the Focus hatches and wagon. Bad move. The Focus coupe is doing very badly. Hardly any 2010 Focus Coupes on dealer lots and I go by WAP lot regularly and almost all 4 dr.'s being made.

I live in a town where just about every other house has a dog for a pet and sidewalks are clogged with dog walkers. Most dog owners prefer hatches, either car based or SUV-CUV. Hatches are also preferred by cyclists. With an Escape, you can mount your bike into back upright if you want.

Ford needs hatches and the Fiesta is only a start I hope.

Ford gave up a lot of potential sales by ending the Focus hatches and wagon. Bad move. The Focus coupe is doing very badly. Hardly any 2010 Focus Coupes on dealer lots and I go by WAP lot regularly and almost all 4 dr.'s being made.

With that being said, since I was lucky to see only 2-4 Escapes on a couple dealers lots around me, I could infer that they are selling? Please!

That's an assumption, we could also assume Ford planned it this way.

I think the plans for the US MY08 Focus were on the runway long before the Fiesta was contemplated.

Fiesta will be the "Almost Replacement" for the ST 170 Focus, C1/C2 Focus are just under Fusion size.

Before anyone jumps to post, I'm referring to internal dimensions - not external size.

Edited by jpd80

2.0L is a spawn of the MZR originally in 1.8L. It was bored and stroked to 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5L. It was also shrunk to 1.6, 1.4L. This statement is moot.

I though the Fiesta 1.6L Ti-VCT engine is part of the Ford Sigma (aka Zetec SE, aka Mazda MZI) family, not the MZR? :headscratch:

Edited by aneekr