ford readying 3cyl and 1.2l ecoboost engines

link

Ford will adapt its Ecoboost concept to a three-cylinder 0.9 and 1.2-liter engines for the Fiesta and upcoming Focus. At 1.2-liters, the engine will be capable of about 135 horsepower and 135 lb-ft of torque from about 1500 rpm.

The engine will be available in the Fiesta from its mid-cycle facelift around three years from now. In Europe it will eventually go into the Focus too, replacing the current 1.6 and 1.8-liter four-cylinder gas engines, but it will probably be considered too small for a U.S. Focus.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_ne...l#ixzz0brhD7TME

i think the 1.2l will be fine for the US, the engine has about the same power as the current 2l with a better tq curve and less weight.

I'd prefer a 1.2 EB over the current 1.6 going to be offered in the Fiesta. Assuming the Focus doesn't get a lot heavier in the next generation, I'd be fine with 120HP. With as flat a torque curve as it will probably have, it would be better than the 2.0.

they better...gen Y (18-30yr olds) in latest market research shows high MPG and value as top 2 concerns for that age group..styling and porformance no where to be found...electric vehicles was at only 12 percent..gas hybrids topped list

At 34 I'm glad I'm not in Gen Y. Performance, Style, MPG, Quality, and Value are my top priories. Then again I prefer to think for myself and even though I'm in IT, I think social media is a joke.

I intentionally left Volvo off the list to make the joke work :shades:

I think they're the only mainstream I5 available in the US today - right?

No, unless your definition of "mainstream" would not include the VW Golf and Jetta, which use a 2.5 L five as their base engines.

No, unless your definition of "mainstream" would not include the VW Golf and Jetta, which use a 2.5 L five as their base engines.

how dare you mention those POS on BON..................we have one out back that, you guessed it, burst into flames due to electrical issues, owner tried to douse the flames with DIRT!....talk abouit a melted mess....

PLEASE share some pictures, Dean! :hysterical:

if its still here tommorow i will, however i cannot for some reason download shots onto Bon...but I can send you the shots personally and you could perhaps post em....its a mess....DIRT of all things too....and I'll get the whole scoop on what actually happened...apparently it involves a bad oil fill at Easy Lube as well.....

Edited by Deanh

how dare you mention those POS on BON..................we have one out back that, you guessed it, burst into flames due to electrical issues, owner tried to douse the flames with DIRT!....talk abouit a melted mess....

Whether they are a POS or not, they do have five-cylinder engines --or at least came with them from the factory, before they melted down into an unrecognizable blob.

I remember the Vigors engine, it was I believe a 2.5L 5 Cylinder. Only last one product cycle. I dont see why Honda would waste money to develop such an engine unless they outsourced it from, hmmm Volvo maybe? Supposedly Volvos 5-cylinder was designed from the get go with being able to do diesel if need be. It's worked for Volvo, Ford EU adopted it into some of their products. Vigors optional engine was a 3.2L 6 cylinder which I believe it later phased into the 3.2L TL. Supposedly volvo claims better grash worthiness because there's more vacant space forward of the engine from this layout. But at the same time it requires more counterbalancers to cope with the uneveness of it.

I do remember the claims Honda had back then in a Vigor brochure, they said V6 power with I4 fuel economy, same as GM did with their 5 cylinder engine, but in real world situations it did neither. Same goes with the Volvo engine which doesn't accomplish either unless you strap a turbo onto it.

Im not sure how the 3 cylinder will be received, I dont think many will notice once you strap a turbo on it it'll make up for any doubts I'm sure.