No Concept Cars for Ford in Detroit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Concept cars also tip your hand to the competition. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of Ford showing some cool concept, deciding it would not be feasible and then watching the Japanese or Koreans bring something suspiciously similar to market two years later. I have no problem with no Ford concepts.

oh, I wouldnt mind some ficticous sporty variants.....

Here's one for ya:

stangPI2.jpg

I'm going to start a board that somehow doesn't allow idiots to make posts..

YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT. Having an autoshow without concepts is like driving a Mustang without a horse on it....It's part of the entertainment experience..it talks to the future..it speaks to the ideas that could some day become reality...

My god...the entire Ford display without concepts.....I love Ford and I've made 100K on the stock in the last few days by selling like a freak when I bought it $1.95 because I believed in what they represented and what they will become but no goddamn concept cars?

I'm going to GM...wait...they make nothing I'd every want to own...guess I'll stick with Jag's and RR's...LOL

Like others, I'm fine with no concepts. I wholeheartedly agree with Mulally's view of not making concepts that have no production intent.

As for GM - all they have to look at is concepts......with a chance of something similar being produced 5 years later.............cough VOLT.....cough...CAMARO.....cough....

I'd rather see real cars instead of flights of fancy that never see production.

The car may never see production, but several of its parts may.....case in point, the MKR and its Twinforce engine...the car never saw the light of day, but the engine is now upon us as EcoBoost, and while MKR never saw production, it was the first vehicle showing the new face of Lincoln....concept cars do make an impact on the design direction of companies....I am driving a 2006 Fusion that has a striking resemblance to the 427 concept.

Concept cars are a great way to gauge public reaction....but for every "427"...there is an "Aztek" just waiting in the wings...

ADD ON: another poster reminded me of the Fairlane concept of 2006...now the Ford Flex.

Edited by twintornados

I personally like seeing the concept cars at the show, if they are pointing in the direction the company is headed both styling wise and ideas that they want to gauge the public's perception.

Trust me if they would of debuted a concept of the Aztek at the show it would of been soundly rejected-unlike the way it went to market by consumer marketing groups.

I will give Ford a pass this year but hopefully we will start seeing things a little further out in very loose styling terms. Plus Geneva seems to be the place where you see a bit more styling trends-especially with Ford doing global vehicles now what you see there will show up here.

Loved the 427 vehicle-gorgeous and even better in person. Strangest vehicle I ever saw in Detroit was the Dodge motorcycle? WTF were they thinking?

Channel 4 in Detroit had a sneak peek special about the NAIAS Auto Show last night, and they showed just a little of the new Focus. A Ford guy was with Channel 4 commentator on the Focus stand and pulled up the front part of the cover over it just a little. He revealed the lower front fascia and the fog lights. The lower fascia looks much like the Fiesta and the fog lights look like those on Euro speced Fiesta. No running lights like N.A. Fiesta. He commented that new Focus uses kinetic design heavily and has a muscular look I assume like the new Taurus. He commented upon the new Focus interior and said it would be totally unlike any Focus so far and said Ford put a lot of effort into Focus interior with lots of quality pieces. I believe the Focus will be revealed this Monday. They also showed the front end of the new Lincoln MKX which is also revealed this coming week and at NAIAS. I don't think the new Edge is going to be revealed at this show.

Channel 4 in Detroit had a sneak peek special about the NAIAS Auto Show last night, and they showed just a little of the new Focus. A Ford guy was with Channel 4 commentator on the Focus stand and pulled up the front part of the cover over it just a little. He revealed the lower front fascia and the fog lights. The lower fascia looks much like the Fiesta and the fog lights look like those on Euro speced Fiesta. No running lights like N.A. Fiesta. He commented that new Focus uses kinetic design heavily and has a muscular look I assume like the new Taurus. He commented upon the new Focus interior and said it would be totally unlike any Focus so far and said Ford put a lot of effort into Focus interior with lots of quality pieces. I believe the Focus will be revealed this Monday. They also showed the front end of the new Lincoln MKX which is also revealed this coming week and at NAIAS. I don't think the new Edge is going to be revealed at this show.

Got the video?

Trust me if they would of debuted a concept of the Aztek at the show it would of been soundly rejected-unlike the way it went to market by consumer marketing groups.
From Wikipedia...

First shown to the public in 1999, the Pontiac Aztek concept car was fairly well received.[3] It featured "Xtreme" futuristic styling and promised maximum versatility in support of a young and active lifestyle for its intended Generation 'X' buyer demographic.

The production edition of the Aztek was launched with the tagline: "Quite possibly the most versatile vehicle on the planet." in conjunction with CBS's hit game show, Survivor in 2000.[4]

Colby Donaldson won this car as a prize during the final reward challenge of Survivor: The Australian Outback.[4]

Wikipedia Aztek article

The original concept was quite well received, however, its actual execution on a minivan chassis was a flop of monumental proportions.

That's the problem with concepts. They make promises that the production models don't deliver.

Remember the first Lincoln Zephyr concept? Everyone loved it. When the production model came out it so much had changed from the concept that it lost a lot of original fans. At least the new MKZ honors the Zephyr concept much more than the production Zephyr.

At least the Zephyr was produced. Something Ford never did with the incredible 2002 Lincoln Continental concept that everyone wanted to see in showrooms.

Remember the first Lincoln Zephyr concept? Everyone loved it. When the production model came out it so much had changed from the concept that it lost a lot of original fans. At least the new MKZ honors the Zephyr concept much more than the production Zephyr.

At least the Zephyr was produced. Something Ford never did with the incredible 2002 Lincoln Continental concept that everyone wanted to see in showrooms.

The Continental was suppose to but was canceled due to the money losses around 06.

Yes, I remember it. While the production Zephyr wasn't bad, I too was disappointed they changed so much from the concept.

in fairness to the production Zephyr,

many of the concept's photos were doctored

(stretched to make it look wider and lower)

&

the production model had the WORST photography of ALL Time...

...imho there wasn't a decent official Ford photo of the car until the MKZ changeover

I bought an '10 XFR yesterday....WHAT A CAR!..IT'S INSANE......JUST INSANE...

so far only two things I don't like about it. Alot of feedback in the steering wheel from the road...and the other...I can't for the life of me figure out how the mirrors work....they're supposed to be electronic folding but neither the a/v unit or the actual buttons work to open and close them....

so far only two things I don't like about it. Alot of feedback in the steering wheel from the road...and the other...I can't for the life of me figure out how the mirrors work....they're supposed to be electronic folding but neither the a/v unit or the actual buttons work to open and close them....

Congrats! New cars are always fun, and the XF is a gorgeous car.

That being said...

A new Jag with electrical "weirdness?" I don't believe it :shades:

Congrats, I hope you enjoy it!

You need a concrete post to properly utilize the feature:

default.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen

You mean to run into? I swear it's driving me crazy..I actually need the mirrors to fold in when it's parked in our garage otherwise the Range Rover's door comes really close to it...such problems...LOL

Tstag must be a big fan of yours.....new XFR and Range Rover in the same garage! :stirpot::stirpot::hysterical:

Edited by rmc523

If memory serves, that was the work of Freeman Thomas, now with Ford.

I thought it was the German- Bernard something???

This is truly my favorite time of year though-just love this show and everything it stands for. Now if they would only get a new venue-Cobo Hall sucks!!!

Now wonder why Chicago is getting so popular-the McCormick center is the place to hold this type of show.

Well we can only dream:)

You mean to run into? I swear it's driving me crazy..I actually need the mirrors to fold in when it's parked in our garage otherwise the Range Rover's door comes really close to it...such problems...LOL

Yep. I think it's on p. 1178 of section B of the second edition of the third volume of your owner's manual.

And it's only available on CD.