Report: Ford putting 3.7L V6 into 2011 F-150

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So with the latest 3.7, what is the point of spending development money on the 3.5. It seems Ford should just use the 3.7 across the model lines (Edge, Taurus, etc). When the 3.7 was released it was said to be exclusive to Lincoln, well that is no longer applicable.

3.7's supposed "Lincoln exclusivity" was always going to be temporary (and truth be told, probably something fabricated on the internet forums :D ). The first 3.7 V6 model was actually Mazda CX-9. It beat the MKS by 2 whole model year (like almost 18 months).

3.7 gives Ford more flexibility and power at almost no sacrifice in MPG over 3.5. Since the US does not have displacement tax (not yet anyway!), I always figured that eventually the only 3.5 will be the Ecoboost version.

Edited by bzcat

Mark Fields introduced the MKS with a Lincoln Exclusive 3.7L. Now, the Duratec (Cyclone) V6 is used by Mazda known as MZI for their Mazda 6 and CX-9. IIRC, the D37 is a bored out D35. So far, 2 Mazdas, 2 Lincolns and now 2 Fords are using it. I read here that the rumor is a upgraded D35 is in the works. I see a lot of life left in the D35 and it'll be around for a while.

The question is: Will it make 305hp, or will it make slightly less HP to produce more torque?

Good Question, I think no less then 290 hp would be good to boost torque. I am glad it's happening and even though I am not surprised, it's good to see it officially.

3.7's supposed "Lincoln exclusivity" was always going to be temporary (and truth be told, probably something fabricated on the internet forums :D ). The first 3.7 V6 model was actually Mazda CX-9. It beat the MKS by 2 whole model year (like almost 18 months).

3.7 gives Ford more flexibility and power at almost no sacrifice in MPG over 3.5. Since the US does not have displacement tax (not yet anyway!), I always figured that eventually the only 3.5 will be the Ecoboost version.

Here in Canada we do have a displacement tax which varies from province. I can't recall what it is here in my locale. I lived in Quebec a while back and it was 4.7L and higher to start. I felt good for the Mustang GT drivers but sorry for the F-150 Triton drivers.

Ford's new powertrain strategy is called "Power Pack". Basically it means using the exact same engine and transmission in as many applications as possible. They specifically want to limit different intake/exhaust manifolds, accessory drives, etc. for the same engine. So the F150 version of the Duratec 3.7L should be very close to the Mustang version, as they are both RWD.

Of course, with the PCM controlling the timing on both cams, there is still some flexibility !

Edited by theoldwizard

Found it. Dumb question. Shoulda looked at the title of the thread. :banghead:

That's definitely Matt.

Just when he can't get any more depressing.

I don't think anybody at AB knows about this guy's love affair with the C/V. What a sad little man...

I just pointed out to everyone there who "RichardJ" was. I'm sure most there recognized the pinhead.

Ford's new powertrain strategy is called "Power Pack". Basically it means using the exact same engine and transmission in as many applications as possible. They specifically want to limit different intake/exhaust manifolds, accessory drives, etc. for the same engine. So the F150 version of the Duratec 3.7L should be very close to the Mustang version, as they are both RWD.

Of course, with the PCM controlling the timing on both cams, there is still some flexibility !

That's very interesting...

This might mean that the 3.5L EcoBoost is not making it into the F150 afterall. This would be pretty disapointing to me as I am dying to see an RWD application. But this might also mean that the 4.4L Diesel motor is back on now. Which would be great news.

I just hope it gets at least one of these two motors.

Richard might be interested to know someone is using his name over on autoblog... and I think we all know who it is.

Hmm lovely. Im sure the Fire department in Minnesota would not look kindly upon such activities that involve assuming another person's identitiy. Of course, working for a city agency and probably using their computer equipment to engange in such activities would most likely be cause for termination.

Of course... i would hope he is smarter than that.

This might mean that the 3.5L EcoBoost is not making it into the F150 afterall. This would be pretty disapointing to me as I am dying to see an RWD application.

Um why not? Keep in mind that it seems like whatever the Mustang gets, the F-150 will get also..and I think the opportunity for an Ecoboost application in either one of them is too great. The only reason I can't see it being used is if for some reason the EB 3.5L doesn't get the same MPG numbers...the 3.7L is for fleet work, the 3.5L EB would be more of a consumer option for people who want good power and MPG's

though the business case, outside of a limited production (less then 10K units a year) Mustang, a 3.5L EB doesn't make much sense with the new 5.0L...though it would be neat for say a GT350 or the like....

Um why not? Keep in mind that it seems like whatever the Mustang gets, the F-150 will get also..and I think the opportunity for an Ecoboost application in either one of them is too great. The only reason I can't see it being used is if for some reason the EB 3.5L doesn't get the same MPG numbers...the 3.7L is for fleet work, the 3.5L EB would be more of a consumer option for people who want good power and MPG's

though the business case, outside of a limited production (less then 10K units a year) Mustang, a 3.5L EB doesn't make much sense with the new 5.0L...though it would be neat for say a GT350 or the like....

I would rather not use the same engine with a truck. I know the Mustang has, but I had hope it would move away from that idea.

I still believe that the Mustang should have the 3.5 EB and 5.0L as an options and the 2.0 EB as the base engine. :reading:

I will buy my retirement car next year, and the Mustang is one of four cars I will look at. :happy feet: