Ford Says Company Is Having a ‘Good’ Sales Month

Ford paying down 34.4 billion in debts

That's been their strategy but it doesn't mean Ford is paying down the lot.

Look for profit to be diverted into directly paying down some of that debt,

Ford also has a lot of bills to pay this year including for new power trains, transmissions and products for 2011 model year.

I wonder if he has ever smiled....?

I'm a big fan of Lewis. I've worked with him (ummm, he did a lot better than I did), and he's a very, very bright guy. The company is in good hands on the Finance side.

Also, he's a lot more friendly and approachable than he might appear on this interview, and a lot quicker with a smile than you might think. He was just providing "no spin" direct answers to direct questions.

I'm a big fan of Lewis. I've worked with him (ummm, he did a lot better than I did), and he's a very, very bright guy. The company is in good hands on the Finance side.

Also, he's a lot more friendly and approachable than he might appear on this interview, and a lot quicker with a smile than you might think. He was just providing "no spin" direct answers to direct questions.

I thought it was just funny watching him because i thought Kusak was the worst at the interviews and I guess i was wrong.

I thought it was just funny watching him because i thought Kusak was the worst at the interviews and I guess i was wrong.

Yes it was funny. As you're well aware, Ford is like a family. And I think Ford employees are more comfortable dealing with each other than they are people "outside the family."

I only hope Ford will beat Toyota this month, even with Toyota's Big 0000 sale. I think that would be a nice "screw you Toyota. We don't need no stinking rebates to move our stuff"...

It would be nice, however I would be surprised if Ford beats Toyota again this month. It's funny that most American consumers have already forgiven Toyota and are purchasing again, while they still hold the Pinto incident from 30+ years ago against Ford.

It would be nice, however I would be surprised if Ford beats Toyota again this month. It's funny that most American consumers have already forgiven Toyota and are purchasing again, while they still hold the Pinto incident from 30+ years ago against Ford.

May be not, More than four in 10 Americans say they “would definitely not buy a Toyota,”

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-24/americans-saying-no-to-toyota-as-ford-leads-opinion-survey.html

I only hope Ford will beat Toyota this month, even with Toyota's Big 0000 sale. I think that would be a nice "screw you Toyota. We don't need no stinking rebates to move our stuff"...

While Ford is having a good month, Toyota is having a great month. They are absolutely crushing it and Toyota is financing everyone with a pulse.

BILLION, with a B? That doesn't sound right at all.

I would think that paying down the debt is different than paying off the debt

Exactly as TT said, Nick, I think it was a general statement that Ford is paying down it's debt over time, not that they're paying it all off at once right now.

Just guessing, but maybe the Fiesta and Focus launches seem to be well-timed, as the market adjusts to Toyota-bloat. In 6 months, offering a fresh alternative might be well-received even if Toyota is still giving them away. :)

You're probably right. Let Toyota have their sales for the next month or two. Then have Ford come in and stomp on their head for the rest of the year.

Ok so supposedly Toyota is having a good month, so does GM from other reports, so is Chrysler, and so is Ford, so whos the losers for the month? I cant possibly think that everyone is having a great month and the economy is picking up that quickly?

Ok so supposedly Toyota is having a good month, so does GM from other reports, so is Chrysler, and so is Ford, so whos the losers for the month? I cant possibly think that everyone is having a great month and the economy is picking up that quickly?

Ford is still taking market share. Any Toyota sales at this point are just pull aheads - people who were planning to buy a new Toyota in the next several months but are taking advantage of the rebates now. I doubt seriously that they are getting any conquest sales to speak of and they'll see a big dropoff in 2 or 3 months.

Perhaps the unstoppable Hyundai/Kia lost some? I'd imagine some of the smaller brands lost some. And what exactly is considered a "good" month for Chrysler these days? Nissan could've lost some too. I dunno....

Ford is still taking market share. Any Toyota sales at this point are just pull aheads - people who were planning to buy a new Toyota in the next several months but are taking advantage of the rebates now. I doubt seriously that they are getting any conquest sales to speak of and they'll see a big dropoff in 2 or 3 months.

Hence the stupidity of this program, IMO.

I simply cannot believe that this is a good conquest market for Toyota. Thus sales the incentives are getting them are sales they were going to get, more cheaply, anyway.

Again, it is so bizarre to see a company ignore mistakes that were made not thirty or forty years ago, but 30-40 MONTHS ago.

Hence the stupidity of this program, IMO.

I simply cannot believe that this is a good conquest market for Toyota. Thus sales the incentives are getting them are sales they were going to get, more cheaply, anyway.

Again, it is so bizarre to see a company ignore mistakes that were made not thirty or forty years ago, but 30-40 MONTHS ago.

Watching from a distance, it's as though Toyota has now decided to be the new GM,

what's with that?

One moment, they say that they need to reconnect with the customer and the next

they just start dumping cars with huge incentives...

Very strange for a company supposed to be healing itself, the descent into madness continues...

What constitutes a "good month" is relative. Reports I've seen show GM and Chrysler still losing market share, even though GM's sales, at least, were up.