2011 Mustang GT better then an M3?

It seems most of the comments are siding with the Mustang. The few that err towards the BMW seem to site luxury as a selling point that the Mustang lacks.

What luxury items and toys does the BMW offer that the Mustang does not? Leather? no. Nav? no. iDrive? Sync. Power everything? no. Quieter? not likely. Flappy paddles? Ok, you got us there.

Soo.... almost 30K more for flappy paddles.

• Like 2

It seems most of the comments are siding with the Mustang. The few that err towards the BMW seem to site luxury as a selling point that the Mustang lacks.

What luxury items and toys does the BMW offer that the Mustang does not? Leather? no. Nav? no. iDrive? Sync. Power everything? no. Quieter? not likely. Flappy paddles? Ok, you got us there.

I dunno... those roundels on the hood are made of the finest aluminum...

They're both a little pretentious (though I've really been lusting after a GT lately) but the bimmer exponentially moreso. At least that's what I think every time I see one. A family down the culdesac owns one, and I imagine to them its a symbol of status, not performance.

I'll take the Mustang (surprise surprise). Just did the build & price. Mine would cost $36.7k: GT premium, premier trim, manual, brembos, 3.73's, comfort package. (I'm sorry, 2k for a fixed glass roof with a MANUAL shade is ridiculous!) Now, can I convince wifey that its practical? I'm sure I'll wuss out and get the Focus.

Edited by theDuff

LOL at the mileage! I'd never have guessed the mustang would be ahead that far! Why didn't Jalopnik point that out??

I would like to see a comparison on ownership cost, as well. Routine maintenance like four-wheel brake job, oil change, tire replacement, etc. Insurance, also.
  • Like 1

when Evan Smith gets a hold of the new 5.0,he will get maybe 12.4,or 12.3 in the 1/4mile.

You should do Santa Pod or Classic Ford Show you see a lot of

that deliver regular 10.5 which is a very average time for arrive n' drives, trailered
, 12.4 is not that spectacular but Mustang v M3 no match the Stangs are awesome BMW RWD Cars appeal to me on no grounds what-so ever as good as they are.

Its not what you got its the way that you do it

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I would like to see a comparison on ownership cost, as well. Routine maintenance like four-wheel brake job, oil change, tire replacement, etc. Insurance, also.

BMW maintenance costs are outrageous. I have a buddy who has two older BMWs, and he had to find an outside mechanic who would work on his vehicles, since the prices the local BMW dealer charges are ridiculous. Even at the lower price he pays now, he still pays about three times more for maintenance work than I do on my Ford at the local Ford dealer. Even for a simple oil change, the BMW dealer wants big money. I only let the Ford dealer change my oil on my Taurus and it's $30. My buddy pays about $60 for oil change on his BMW and that is using a cheaper outside BMW mechanic. The BMW dealer wants much more.

However, BMW's are sweet cars. His are over 12 years old and no rust and the 6 cylinder BMW engine runs so smooth even with over 100,000 miles on it. Great vehicles. But then again it costs lots of money to keep them running like tops on the road. I'll take my Taurus and it's much lower costs to keep on the road. I would rather have the extra money for other things in life more important than what kind of vehicle you drive. All I want is a good running, comfortable, safe, decent looking vehicle and the Taurus does that.

And Autoblog has a poll on it to vote...

My link

The poll should be "IF" you could afford to take either one home, which would it be? I'm willing to bet most that choose the M3 can't come close to affording it. At least $60K for a car is ridiculous. The GT is much more attainable.

I would have one for sure if I didn't have insurance worries (15 year old son driving in around a year). I can't even comprehend how much it would cost to insure a 16 year old on a 412HP Mustang GT.

That said, I don't know if the SHO will be much less.

I think both are pretty sweet cars in all honesty. If someone gave me a BMW M3, it's not like I'd turn it down. They're pretty hot little numbers, in my opinion. At the same time, if it were my money on the line, I'd definitely spring for the Mustang GT. Way better value and I don't have kids, much less a passenger (maybe that would change if I had one though?), so what's the point of a back seat?

And without that dual clutch box the M3 would get flogged.

And without that dual clutch box the M3 would get flogged.

Now, think about this...

The 3.5L EB setup is lighter than the 5.0L coyote V8 (though, not by a huge amount).

In it's Taurus SHO tune, it delivers more torque lower in the rev band than the coyote does.

It's plainly obvious that the power output of the 3.5L EB is significantly limited in the Taurus SHO (to protect the transaxle) by that amazingly flat torque curve.

Extrapolating from that graph, it is not unreasonable that the EB 3.5L v6 setup is capable of similar power numbers to the coyote. But with more low end torque... And better fuel economy... And did I mention lighter weight?

Now add the GT500 suspension...

And they can still sell it for a TON less than the M3.

What I'm really interested in seeing now is the 2011 GT500 (you know, the one with the improved handling of the current GT500 with the lighter aluminum 5.4L) versus an M5.

Now, think about this...

The 3.5L EB setup is lighter than the 5.0L coyote V8 (though, not by a huge amount).

In it's Taurus SHO tune, it delivers more torque lower in the rev band than the coyote does.

It's plainly obvious that the power output of the 3.5L EB is significantly limited in the Taurus SHO (to protect the transaxle) by that amazingly flat torque curve.

Extrapolating from that graph, it is not unreasonable that the EB 3.5L v6 setup is capable of similar power numbers to the coyote. But with more low end torque... And better fuel economy... And did I mention lighter weight?

Now add the GT500 suspension...

And they can still sell it for a TON less than the M3.

What I'm really interested in seeing now is the 2011 GT500 (you know, the one with the improved handling of the current GT500 with the lighter aluminum 5.4L) versus an M5.

Seeing as the M5 is a 4-door sedan, it is really a stretch to compare it to the GT500. Maybe the M6, isn't that a coupe?

Speaking of the 2011 GT500, any idea when we will see any performance tests?

Speaking of the 2011 GT500, any idea when we will see any performance tests?

I was wondering the same thing. Based on what I have read on some of the Mustang websites the 2011 GT500 should already be in production or close to it. Is there another embargo on publishing test data? I don't understand Ford's logic on this one other than trying to move as many leftover 2010's off the dealer lots as possible. In this age of the internet, information is available to anyone who is seriously considering one of these cars so most serious buyers already know what the upgrades are. I would think they are risking lost sales of the 2011 to the competition more so than selling off the last of the 2010's. Most serious buyers would probably only consider a 2010 at this point if they could get one at a big discount. If anything, publishing test data on the 2011 would probably speed up that process.