Spied! 2011 Ford F-150 with EcoBoost V-6

Not sure how they've changed them for the '09'-10 models, but that looks just like and in the same location as the transmission cooler on my '06 F150.

Love the key in the door handle in the first pic.

Edited by V8-X

I wish they would have caught the red one. I like the Red Candy Metallic. smile.gif

Anywho, if you can believe the engineers I've talked to (and I do), expect the highway mileage to be around 25 on 2wd models. All F-150's for the 2011 model year should be receiving a bump in mileage when the weight reduction programs take effect.

Edited by Pioneer

I wish they would have caught the red one. I like the Red Candy Metallic. smile.gif

Anywho, if you can believe the engineers I've talked to (and I do), expect the highway mileage to be around 25 on 2wd models. All F-150's for the 2011 model year should be receiving a bump in mileage when the weight reduction programs take effect.

weight reductions.....good to hear Pioneer...hey that rhymes......maybe they can adress ever increasing MSRP's as well....holy crap batman....soon there will have to be 10 year financing

hmm... Ecoboost 3.5 vs. 6.2

I think an EcoBoost F150 is rather exotic... as Pioneer mentioned above (and just as i thought) it should pull 25 MPGs on the highway in Extended Cab form. Add that to a potential 400hp rating and you have one killer truck. I think it could actually outsell the 6.2.

I'd take the EcoBoost for sure.

Its called inflation... :shades:

trust me I know....unfortunately wages dont escalate at the same rate....and the more expensive the car the smaller the market...and thus less sales....this from someone that freaked when mustang GT Convertibles cost over 21k!!!!!! Now they are $40....have your wages doubled? :shades:

If you want a laugh read the comments section.

It's like a idiot hoedown where everyone is trying to outdo everyone else on the stupid scale! :doh:

For the amusement of others, I've posted a few choice comments below,

seems to be a lot of "experts" second guessing Ford's reliability engineers:

The EB motor might have the torque curve of a Diesel but it will NEVER have the longevity of one!!!

:doh: The EB V6 costs less than a diesel option (due to problems with meeting NOX regulations).

The fuel economy of the EB V6 should be better than a 6.2 which is important to Ford meeting CAFE..

Having owned a 5.4L F-150 Lariat 4x4 I would never buy a V6 in this truck. It's way too heavy. The motor, no matter how much HP would have to work so hard to keep the truck moving.
:doh: The 3.5 EB has basically the same torque curve as a 5.4 3V

This motor is not a motor meant for much work. Running over 1700 degrees will kill it quick. I only see 120,000 miles coming out of these motors in a truck application.
:doh: And you know this because....

Ford has done extensive durability testing on the engines and turbos, Ecoboost technology is their primary strategy in meeting coming CAFE regulations.

I doubt MPG will be anything special, SHO owners are reporting about 17MPG with this motor and thats in a car that weighs one ton less and has considerably less drag. Expect 14-15 in the truck.
:doh: That 17 mpg sounds like mixed driving, I think F150 owners would probably get close to that and still keep some power under the gas pedal.

In the SHO, the EBV6 is a performance engine but in the F150 it is an economy engine.

As I said above, the EB V6 has basically the same torque curve as a 5.4 3V Triton.

But this guy showed some true intelligence:

Warning. No stupid people may post beyond this point.
Edited by jpd80

trust me I know....unfortunately wages dont escalate at the same rate....and the more expensive the car the smaller the market...and thus less sales....this from someone that freaked when mustang GT Convertibles cost over 21k!!!!!! Now they are $40....have your wages doubled? :shades:

Thats doesnt mean profit doesnt increase though.

Hey, Im in college, so I really not worrying about that...only my Calculus grade :sos:

Weight reduction is music to my ears. The F-Series is especially porky, Ford trucks tend to weigh more than comparable trucks of other brands by a fair margin. I'd really like to see Ford knock at least 300-400lb out of the F150, but I'm afraid an all new frame design would probably be required for that.

My driving life is funny. I only put 7000-8000 miles a year on a car, most of my trips are in the 2-5 mile range. That's hard on a car and the primary reason that I could probably never own a diesel truck. If the EcoBoost engines can handle the short trips, then I'd definitely look into one for my next truck.

What people don't realize is that the EcoBoost engines only provide a fuel economy benefit in normal driving. When cruising on the freeway or light to moderate acceleration, they will get better FE than a comparably powerful V8. However, when you use all 400hp you also use all 400hp worth of gasoline. There's no such thing as a free lunch. For a daily driver, the EB will probably be the best engine option out there. If you primarily use your truck to tow, you'd probably be better off with a V8 or diesel.

Weight reduction is music to my ears. The F-Series is especially porky, Ford trucks tend to weigh more than comparable trucks of other brands by a fair margin. I'd really like to see Ford knock at least 300-400lb out of the F150, but I'm afraid an all new frame design would probably be required for that.

Well they could do what they did in '80-'81 to save some weight. I warn though the truck might be a little flexible! LOL

Swiss cheese... yum!

Edited by 2005Explorer

My driving life is funny. I only put 7000-8000 miles a year on a car, most of my trips are in the 2-5 mile range. That's hard on a car and the primary reason that I could probably never own a diesel truck. If the EcoBoost engines can handle the short trips, then I'd definitely look into one for my next truck.

What people don't realize is that the EcoBoost engines only provide a fuel economy benefit in normal driving. When cruising on the freeway or light to moderate acceleration, they will get better FE than a comparably powerful V8. However, when you use all 400hp you also use all 400hp worth of gasoline. There's no such thing as a free lunch. For a daily driver, the EB will probably be the best engine option out there. If you primarily use your truck to tow, you'd probably be better off with a V8 or diesel.

Yep, my exact situation. I put about 9,000 miles a year and tow less than 4,000lbs occasionally. Sign me up for the EB F150 if it produces 400/400. I have been eyeing the Explorer situation because the Sport Trac is really all I need, but nobody has anything stocked in those and I really don't care for the old Explorer looks and interior. Now, if Ford updates the sport trac along with the next generation Explorer and EB win win.

seems to be a lot of "experts" second guessing Ford's reliability engineers:

:doh: The EB V6 costs less than a diesel option (due to problems with meeting NOX regulations).

The fuel economy of the EB V6 should be better than a 6.2 which is important to Ford meeting CAFE..

:doh: The 3.5 EB has basically the same torque curve as a 5.4 3V

:doh: And you know this because....

Ford has done extensive durability testing on the engines and turbos, Ecoboost technology is their primary strategy in meeting coming CAFE regulations.

:doh: That 17 mpg sounds like mixed driving, I think F150 owners would probably get close to that and still keep some power under the gas pedal.

In the SHO, the EBV6 is a performance engine but in the F150 it is an economy engine.

As I said above, the EB V6 has basically the same torque curve as a 5.4 3V Triton.

But this guy showed some true intelligence:

OK you point out stupidity and then say the EB has near the same tourque curve of the 5.4L? Ummm... Pot meet kettle. The EBs tourque "curve" is just little bit better than the 5.4L. :hysterical:

Edited by PWR Kid

OK you point out stupidity and then say the EB has near the same tourque curve of the 5.4L? Ummm... Pot meet kettle. The EBs tourque "curve" is just little bit better than the 5.4L. :hysterical:

Those were quotes from other posters at pickuptrucks.com. Someone was calling the other people making those idiotic claims stupid and jpd80 was merely agreeing with them.

You need to pay more attention before you start pulling the pot and kettle stuff.

If he didn't say it it shouldn't bother him.

Good grief. Perhaps you missed the first sentence of the post:

Go read the comments and you'll understand.

weight reductions.....good to hear Pioneer...hey that rhymes......maybe they can adress ever increasing MSRP's as well....holy crap batman....soon there will have to be 10 year financing

I could not agree more with you!

Since I realized that my high school educated mother and father were WAY smarter than modern MBA financial advisors and mortgage brokers, I have decided to take the old school mom and pop approach to everything - don't buy it if you can't afford it, debt is bad. So - this essentially puts any new car or truck out of reach for me. But, since there are still a vast amount of people that listen to the MBA's - there will be plenty of heavily deprecated lease returns and other various newer vehicles for me to select from at the auction when the time comes to buy.