An overview of Panther's demise

I have to say...Mulally has done a good job of shutting up the deepthroats in the Ford organization. Everyone seems to be very tight lipped about what Ford is up to.

While that might be frustrating for the BON regulars, it's probably a good idea. And if you believe, as I do, that the 5.0 is too good not to be behind a Lincoln grille, there are some surprises coming. :)

What does that have to do with it? Ford is in business to satisfy our wildest wants and desires, not to make money. They should be building RWD everything with 800 hp and 40 mpg. Ford management is stupid. Cutting production is stupid. Cancelling the LS was stupid. Moving the Explorer to unibody/FWD/AWD is stupid. Not updating the Ranger is stupid. Killing Mercury is stupid. Killing the panthers is stupid. D3 is a failure.

Did I cover everything?

not going bankrupt is stupid

wanting to make a profit is stupid

wanting to be at the top of JD Powers is stupid

Please don't put words in my mouth. All I said is that the RWD Hemi Charger sounds as good as a RWD Mustang. Yes, they are two different vehicles, but the Hemi Charger appeals to a market somewhat similar to the Mustang GT in that both have awesome V8's. With an updated 300 and Charger coming shortly, we will see how much of a market there is for RWD vehicles. Or should I say RWD biased vehicles with zero torque steer. When you are sporting over 400hp or thereabouts, it's nice to have the rear wheels spin a little rather than the front wheels.

So you mean literally the Hemi Charger SOUNDS as good as the Mustang? If that's NOT what you mean, then I don't get what you mean about me putting words in your mouth. Either you mean a Hemi Charger SOUNDS (audibly) the same as a Mustang...or you meant it as a comparison "ok, that sounds about as good as a Mustang".

If you're just saying it SOUNDS as good as a Mustang, I guess that's just silly, IMO. Someone would buy a Hemi Charger because they want a RWD sedan that sounds like a Mustang?

• 2 weeks later...

The reason the CV/GM/TC don't sell well isn't because they are RWD and/or BOF. The reason is their platform, styling, and powertrains are ancient. Modern, competitive interpretations of these vehicles would've had an excellent chance at selling well. Instead, Ford let them die a slow and painful death. Imagine more modern sheet metal over lighter, better quality interior materials, stronger frames that are powered by Ford's latest plants that are more powerful and economical! The same concept applies to domestic-built wagons, minivans, and coupes. It's not that buyers don't want them. It's that with very few exceptions GM/FoMoCo/Chry haven't build good ones and the foreign competition, mainly the Asians, has.

The reason the CV/GM/TC don't sell well isn't because they are RWD and/or BOF. The reason is their platform, styling, and powertrains are ancient. Modern, competitive interpretations of these vehicles would've had an excellent chance at selling well. Instead, Ford let them die a slow and painful death. Imagine more modern sheet metal over lighter, better quality interior materials, stronger frames that are powered by Ford's latest plants that are more powerful and economical! The same concept applies to domestic-built wagons, minivans, and coupes. It's not that buyers don't want them. It's that with very few exceptions GM/FoMoCo/Chry haven't build good ones and the foreign competition, mainly the Asians, has.

And what you describe is precisely where Ford will likely end up going sometime in the future. However, there have been more pressing issues facing Ford lately than redesigning a fullsize RWD architecture that may or may not have brought in any significant revenue. I have no doubt that a new RWD architecture will appear eventually, but now simply isn't the time for it.

And what you describe is precisely where Ford will likely end up going sometime in the future. However, there have been more pressing issues facing Ford lately than redesigning a fullsize RWD architecture that may or may not have brought in any significant revenue. I have no doubt that a new RWD architecture will appear eventually, but now simply isn't the time for it.

And it won't be BOF no matter what.

And it won't be BOF no matter what.

Which is perfectly fine for a sedan or even a CUV. But if they're going to come out with a new compact pickup/SUV offering, it better sure as heck have a frame under it.

Why do I have my doubts? Just look at the newly nuetered Explorer....

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Which is perfectly fine for a sedan or even a CUV. But if they're going to come out with a new compact pickup/SUV offering, it better sure as heck have a frame under it.

Unless it has an integral ladder frame like the European transit truck

or a half chassis like the Aussie Falcon pick up......

Edited by jpd80

The Hemis sound great when the driver is on the gas. But they sound awful at part throttle with deactivated cylinders. I just picked up a 66 Galaxie 7Litre. Still has the factory exhaust on it. No mufflers, just resonators. Open up the autolite 4bbl on the 428.....Now thats is a sweet sound!

so when did you drive it?............obviously the opinion is based on hands on

I feel sorry about those losing their jobs, but I think there are enough panthers

to satisfy fans of the car for a long time. The cars can be rebuilt for decades

just like Model T and Model A Fords have been. I have a black 1996 Lincoln Town

car with 59k miles on it that I'm enjoying preserving and driving a few times a

week.

I feel sorry about those losing their jobs, but I think there are enough panthers

to satisfy fans of the car for a long time. The cars can be rebuilt for decades

just like Model T and Model A Fords have been. I have a black 1996 Lincoln Town

car with 59k miles on it that I'm enjoying preserving and driving a few times a

week.

you own a Limo company?....lol

The new Explorer is spot on, IMHO. Sales will tell if I'm right of course. The only time the vehicles in this class do any off-roading is when the soccer mom behind the wheel backs too far out of her driveway and onto the parkway across the street. :hysterical:

Supposedly the producer of the upcoming Hawaii Five-0 TV show said McGarret will be in a Mercury! Will it be the Grand Marquis? Can't picture him in a Milan! Did Ford indeed kill Mercury too soon?

From what I've seen, he will be restoring his late father's car. It was the last car that Jack Lord drove on the onriginal show, a black mid 70's Marquis. Danny Williams personal car will be a new 5.0 Mustang GT.

Also, big article in USA Today about the end of CV reign in NYC cab fleet. Of the 13401 taxis, CV is 8370, Escape Hybrid is 2556, Toyota Sienna is 1389 and the other 13 makes/models range from 1 to 329.

I've also seen alot of Scion xB Taxis in Chicago. It seems all the Taxi cab companies are eager to move into other cars, well before Ford pulls the plug on them.

I've also seen alot of Scion xB Taxis in Chicago. It seems all the Taxi cab companies are eager to move into other cars, well before Ford pulls the plug on them.

You show me one of those piece of shit Toyota made vehicles that will make it to 300,000/400,000/or 500,000 miles in regular (severe) everyday taxi-limo-livery service than I'll take notice. Other than that. Who really cares about those junk deathtrap Scions anyway.

You show me one of those piece of shit Toyota made vehicles that will make it to 300,000/400,000/or 500,000 miles in regular (severe) everyday taxi-limo-livery service than I'll take notice. Other than that. Who really cares about those junk deathtrap Scions anyway.

I will be willing to bet that the MV-1 from AM General LLC would take the abuses of taxi duty even better than a Crown Vic ever could....Crown Vic drive train, fully boxed frame, De Dion rear suspension with leaf springs (!) and more.....

MV-1_Taxi.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I will be willing to bet that the MV-1 from AM General LLC would take the abuses of taxi duty even better than a Crown Vic ever could....Crown Vic drive train, fully boxed frame, De Dion rear suspension with leaf springs (!) and more.....

Random thoughts & observations...

I haven't had time to visit her in quite a while, but reading through these 7 pages has been very interesting. I have a better grasp of why the Panther is going away, and look forward to a possible future BOF replacement.

I am 59 years old, and my 2003 Marauder, 2000 CVPI, 1993 Grand Marquis, 1979 F37 U-Haul, & 1979 F150 SWB 4X4 will all probably last me my remaining years.

The side impact collision damage to the center pillar of the Panther & occupants could be re-engineered to protect passengers. A means to tie the frame to the body (during a collision only) could be done through clever/innovative design. Think cables, straps, restraints, etc. My understanding is the new Police Taurus has a unique reinforced cage.

I cannot wrap my (somewhat limited) mind around a unibody F150. Many around the USA consider an F150 a BOF sedan. I miss my 1979 Bronco. Best sedan I ever had.

"From what I've seen, he will be restoring his late father's car. It was the last car that Jack Lord drove on the original show, a black mid 70's Marquis" That would be so cool!

The Transit Connect isn't a new model... "designed by Peter Horbury and introduced in 2002"...makes it just as old as the 2002 Panther update!