The latest Explorer teaser pic from Facebook

Well if Pioneer is impressed, I think we have a winner on our hands! Way to go, Ford!

I will say this, if they don't try to take the Flex and differentiate it in some way, I would expect it to disappear. The only selling point for the Flex over the Explorer might be third row leg room.

I will say this, if they don't try to take the Flex and differentiate it in some way, I would expect it to disappear. The only selling point for the Flex over the Explorer might be third row leg room.

Perhaps you are right. Of course, the Flex is approaching its mid-cycle update soon, so who knows...

Ford should build Flex on CD2 plaetform so that Ford can have 7 passage car in all plateform level, Grand Cmax, Flex and Explorer.

Ford should build Flex on CD2 plaetform so that Ford can have 7 passage car in all plateform level, Grand Cmax, Flex and Explorer.

heres my wishlist...shorten it, ditch the third row....eco with a 6 speed Manual....retain styling cues

heres my wishlist...shorten it, ditch the third row....eco with a 6 speed Manual....retain styling cues

Tada:

2009-FORD-FLEX-side.jpg

I did this a while back for something/one else, but thought I'd post it since it sorta applied to what you were 'requesting.'

Yes, they're exactly the same. Except for the 3rd row seats, higher ground clearance, significantly more towing ability (5000+ vs. 3500), selectable terrains, etc. etc.

If anything the Flex might end up being unnecessary since it's the same size as the Explorer. But the Flex is all urban while the Explorer can do both. In the end it will come down to sales and profitability.

Uh yeah, because all the soccer Moms I see driving around in their Explorer bought the thing for it's towing capacity (even though it's extremely rare to see one towing anything) and it's ground clearance. lol If that's the intent behind buying this vehicle, get an Expedition or an F150. Ford sells four SUV's and the Edge and Flex which quite frankly fit the same needs for which most people buy SUV's. That's six vehicles to do the job of carrying two kids back and forth around town. Somebody's gotta go. lol

Uh yeah, because all the soccer Moms I see driving around in their Explorer bought the thing for it's towing capacity (even though it's extremely rare to see one towing anything) and it's ground clearance. lol If that's the intent behind buying this vehicle, get an Expedition or an F150. Ford sells four SUV's and the Edge and Flex which quite frankly fit the same needs for which most people buy SUV's. That's six vehicles to do the job of carrying two kids back and forth around town. Somebody's gotta go. lol

dont agree....they all look ENTIRELY different and each appeals to a different crowd.....different strokes for different folks.....

It's alright Deanh, you're entitled to be completely wrong. lol

lol....nah, i just know for a fact different people have difference in stylistic ...and THAT is the main reason one buys one over another...more so than capability OR needs.....we live in an image based society Blackie....otherwise explain why people buy two door versions of a 4 door sedan...answer...to look more sporty or they prefer the styling....Flex, Edge and now Explorer all look entirely different and will appeal to different crowds....Explorer has a "tougher" image...

You said it's the same as the Edge and it's clearly not, regardless of how they're actually used. They will appeal to different buyers.

BTW - there are only 3 SUVs - Escape, Explorer, Expedition. Sport Trac is a 4 door pickup.

Like I said - Explorer may kill the Flex but that depends on how many Flex customers get an Explorer instead. Escape, Edge and Expedition all fill different niches.

BTW - there are only 3 SUVs - Escape, Explorer, Expedition. Sport Trac is a 4 door pickup.

Not according to Ford who have it listed with their SUV's on their website. With a bed that small, I'm not sure you can call that a pickup. It's a small cargobox.

lol....nah, i just know for a fact different people have difference in stylistic ...and THAT is the main reason one buys one over another...more so than capability OR needs.....we live in an image based society Blackie....otherwise explain why people buy two door versions of a 4 door sedan...answer...to look more sporty or they prefer the styling....Flex, Edge and now Explorer all look entirely different and will appeal to different crowds....Explorer has a "tougher" image...

Did you just call me "blackie" dino? lol Hey, potato, tomato as far as I'm concerned. Fact is most people buy based on what they can afford and not image. Works something like this. "I need an SUV so my wife can carry the kids to school and she wants an SUV because it makes her feel all safe. She likes A, B and C but we can only afford X so she's getting X." That's usually how it happens and all that other stylistic imagery gets pushed by the wayside. Friend of mine started out looking at Tahoes and Expeditions and ended up in a Saab stationwagon. Happens like that all the time, everywhere.

Ok, now you go. lol

Edge or Explorer? Edge or Explorer? Edge or Explorer? More I see of the Explorer, the more I like it.

I know...I'm giving this alot of consideration after wanting a SHO so bad..but then again if the 400HP SHO comes out in the next year or two and gets the same MPG as the current one..its still at the top of the list.

The new Explorer reminds me of a '10 Taurus, with a bit of the Edge stretched over the current Explorer shape.

Looks good to me So far.

Still not feeling it. I wouldn't want a supposed rugged vehicle to use too similar of a grille design to the Taurus. Those headlamps and front bumper still scream car to me. The hood does look a little intriguing. Overall, I'm still feeling its Fords version of a Subaru Outback.

Edited by V8-X

Did you just call me "blackie" dino? lol Hey, potato, tomato as far as I'm concerned. Fact is most people buy based on what they can afford and not image. Works something like this. "I need an SUV so my wife can carry the kids to school and she wants an SUV because it makes her feel all safe. She likes A, B and C but we can only afford X so she's getting X." That's usually how it happens and all that other stylistic imagery gets pushed by the wayside. Friend of mine started out looking at Tahoes and Expeditions and ended up in a Saab stationwagon. Happens like that all the time, everywhere.

Ok, now you go. lol

hey no offense meant in the slightest...and you are correct...they buy what they can afford...then come here and bitch about the car they actually wanted but couldnt...LMAO!....and I will apologize for the next coment which could come off as sexist....but I see a LOT of gentlemen stepping WAY over their boundaries to appese the Female that leads him around by his testicles..... :ohsnap:

Edited by Deanh