Ford Explorer Interceptor

guess what MSRP is 4379, invoice is 35711 and a guess would be A plan would be 34-34500...so, your price speculation ( assuming you are A plan ) is 10 grand south of reality...

Not including A-plan, priced out on Ford's own website, the vehicle I priced is $47,600. $49,730 with the dual rear seat entertainment package.

Basically, a Limited 4X4 302A with every available option, including 2nd row bucket seats with no floor console or splash guards.

And, for the people saying every car is a cop car, think again. A municipality buying a vehicle and making it into a police vehicle and an auto company making a dedicated police vehicle out of a civilian one is totally different.

Oh well. I guess I will have to pin my hopes on some sort of Flex refresh.

I think you have/had an Explorer at one point in time, so you already bought a cop car ;)

Anyways...is it being called a Police Interceptor Utility or a Explorer Police Inceptor Utility? I know Ford made it quite clear that the PI isn't the Taurus PI...

It's the Police Interceptor Utility.

We've got the current-gen Explorer being used as traffic units too.

Just to point out something to Pioneer...

Almost every vehicle that ford produces for domestic US sale that's larger than a focus has a "police" package. In my work, I have seen all of the following in full police setup:

Escape

Expedition

Explorer

F-150

F-superduty

Fusion

Taurus (up to 09, none of the new ones yet)

Econoline

Of course the CVPI

Edge (yes, I've seen one...)

Add Windstar and Mustang to that list too - yes, I've seen people pulled over by undercover Windstars and Mustangs.

Add Windstar and Mustang to that list too - yes, I've seen people pulled over by undercover Windstars and Mustangs.

I remember watching Police Women of Broward County on TLC one night, and one of the patrol vehicles they often used to make stings was an undercover Town and Country. More recently, I saw a convoy of unmarked vehicles on I-85 in Atlanta; among them were three T&Cs.

But to actually get pulled over by a minivan? That's gotta leave scars on your psyche.

And, for the people saying every car is a cop car, think again. A municipality buying a vehicle and making it into a police vehicle and an auto company making a dedicated police vehicle out of a civilian one is totally different.

Yeah - the difference is that these PIs won't be lumped in with their progenitors in the resale market.

Not including A-plan, priced out on Ford's own website, the vehicle I priced is $47,600. $49,730 with the dual rear seat entertainment package.

Basically, a Limited 4X4 302A with every available option, including 2nd row bucket seats with no floor console or splash guards.

I think your just making excuses to have something to bitch about...

Oh well I plan on a Taurus SHO....so what if you can get it as a cop car...if anything, the heavy duty brakes etc that will find their way on the PI will be shared with the SHO....a win win for me...plus depending on how the styling is on the SHO and PI, I could get away with speeding since Cops would think I'm in an unmarked unit ;)

I think your just making excuses to have something to bitch about...

If I wanted to bitch just to bitch, I would complain about the price. $47k is more than Borg is spending on his MkX and he gets the snobby Lincoln badge, and that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't care about the price because I love this car.

What I don't like is trying to figure out who is Starsky and who is Hutch before the wife and I go out in it. I don't like the fact that in 6 years when my youngest is off to college, the resale value on my babied car has to duke it out with cars being auctioned off by every local municipality. I could care less what the resale value of my Focus is because I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, but when we downsize from this one, I want something to put down on the new car, not buy a pack of gum.

If I wanted to bitch just to bitch, I would complain about the price. $47k is more than Borg is spending on his MkX and he gets the snobby Lincoln badge, and that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't care about the price because I love this car.

What I don't like is trying to figure out who is Starsky and who is Hutch before the wife and I go out in it. I don't like the fact that in 6 years when my youngest is off to college, the resale value on my babied car has to duke it out with cars being auctioned off by every local municipality. I could care less what the resale value of my Focus is because I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, but when we downsize from this one, I want something to put down on the new car, not buy a pack of gum.

Are you concerned about the current Explorers from municipalities going to auction and ruining the resale value on your current Explorer? It's not like municipalities are going to see this new Interceptor and run out and buy them by the 10's of thousands and crap on your resale value. This vehicle will likely be doing little more than replacing the current Explorers that are already in police fleets nationwide. Add in the fact that none of these retired Interceptors will be able to be sold as "Explorers" and I think your resale value worries should be abated.

simple answer, if you cant afford a Limited, dont get one...theres CHEAPER alternatives...getting option crazy usually ( sarcasm ) gets reflected in MSRP's......usually ( sarcasm again ) the same for ALL Manufacturers.....cant believe that dual rear seat enetertainment syatem isnt free though....lol....hey look, leathers an upcharge as well! come on Pioneer...dont max out any car then complain of cost....options are YOUR choice.

the fact the Taurus and Explorer have LOW volume Interceptor models wont do diddly SQUAT to resale....NOTHING/ NADA/ ZILCH......

Borg is also losing out on a third row of seats too and other options that the MKX won't have in it.

I really the Explorer myself, and I can get it equipped out pretty well for just under 40K before A Plan..but that 400HP SHO rumored for 2012/13 is making things really hard, and costs even more.

Borg is also losing out on a third row of seats too and other options that the MKX won't have in it.

I really the Explorer myself, and I can get it equipped out pretty well for just under 40K before A Plan..but that 400HP SHO rumored for 2012/13 is making things really hard, and costs even more.

I don't know why you'd want an Explorer - you can get a base F150 a lot cheaper! :stirpot: :shades:

Are you concerned about the current Explorers from municipalities going to auction and ruining the resale value on your current Explorer? It's not like municipalities are going to see this new Interceptor and run out and buy them by the 10's of thousands and crap on your resale value. This vehicle will likely be doing little more than replacing the current Explorers that are already in police fleets nationwide. Add in the fact that none of these retired Interceptors will be able to be sold as "Explorers" and I think your resale value worries should be abated.

Nick...you are quite correct. We have a ton of Explorers, with the SSV package. Some are the "civilian" version. By the time we get rid of them, they are ran 24 hours a day and look it. Pioneer, your babied Explorer would not be competing with an Explorer with 130k miles on the clock, that was run 24hrs a day, and not to mention it was a K-9 vehicle ( Smells terrible, and is hairier than a French woman.) Don't worry about it, and get the vehicle that suits your needs. Besides everyone is looking at different vehicles for police work now, no matter what you get, one might be turned into a patrol car.

Are you concerned about the current Explorers from municipalities going to auction and ruining the resale value on your current Explorer?

The resale on my current Explorer is already in the toilet. About 1/5th of what I paid for it. That is why resale concerns me on the new one.

The resale on my current Explorer is already in the toilet. About 1/5th of what I paid for it. That is why resale concerns me on the new one.

Which has nothing to do with a tiny fraction of them being used for police vehicles. It has everything to do with poor fuel mileage and a ton of used ones being available.

• Like 1