Lincoln model names *POLL*

Bring back names to Lincoln?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. When Lincoln vehicles are redesigned should Ford start to bring back names such as Continental, Zephyr, or stay with the MK naming scheme?

• Yes bring back model names
    • Stick with the MK naming scheme
    • Stay with Alpha-Numeric but add other letter combinations, for example LS

Just curious what the rest of you think. I think the current MK naming scheme is confusing and doesn't really mean anything to consumers. I'd like to see models get names again when they are redesigned. I think letting a name like Continental go to waste is a terrible thing. Ford has the chance to rebuild Lincoln right and to do that they need to make themselves different. When all luxury makes use alpha-numeric model names then it just makes Lincoln a me-too brand and Lincoln does not do well as a me-too brand. Granted models names is a small thing, but bringing back some heritage and class can't hurt at this point.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Just curious what the rest of you think. I think the current MK naming scheme is confusing and doesn't really mean anything to consumers. I'd like to see models get names again when they are redesigned. I think letting a name like Continental go to waste is a terrible thing. Ford has the chance to rebuild Lincoln right and to do that they need to make themselves different. When all luxury makes use alpha-numeric model names then it just makes Lincoln a me-too brand and Lincoln does not do well as a me-too brand. Granted models names is a small thing, but bringing back some heritage and class can't hurt at this point.

My vote went for bringing back "real" names.

If Lincoln thinks their future rides on doing what the other luxury makes do, they're not going to get very far. A BMW 328i or Mercedes SL500 work because people will just call it a "BMW" or a "Mercedes." Saying you drive just a "Lincoln" doesn't quite bring up the same imagery as the other two. A well-marketed name can do much more than a meaningless combination of numbers and letters. I'm not saying we need to pull every model designation out of the Lincoln history book, but a few rehashed nameplates (Continental, Premier maybe?), along with some modern-sounding and well marketed new names could do wonders for the brand.

A rose by any other name...

I think there are flaws with the scheme that Lincoln has adopted, but I also think that changing names at this point in time is a bad idea. This is not a time to further confuse the issue.

How would you feel about moving away from the current scheme as new models are introduced? Keep the MK_ names until the next-gen cars are ready, then rename along with the relaunch.

I'd love to see what customer awareness is when just asked who makes the "MKS" or "MKZ."

• Like 1

How would you feel about moving away from the current scheme as new models are introduced? Keep the MK_ names until the next-gen cars are ready, then rename along with the relaunch.

I'd love to see what customer awareness is when just asked who makes the "MKS" or "MKZ."

Nope. Too soon.

Maybe giving an altogether new model (e.g. the small CUV) a name, but not calling the next MKZ a "Zephyr".

They've made their bed, they have to lie in it--for the next several years at least.

A rose by any other name...

I think there are flaws with the scheme that Lincoln has adopted, but I also think that changing names at this point in time is a bad idea. This is not a time to further confuse the issue.

Agreed that changing at this point, at least from one model year to the other on every model, would be a bad idea, and would only further confuse people. Now, maybe if the names are phased out/in with complete redesigns of each vehicle it could work.

I think part of the issue is that the crossovers share the same MK_ scheme, leaving no differentiation to the average customer between the sedans and crossovers. Compare that to other brands where the sedans and crossovers have different (but similar) naming schemes. For example (sedan-crossover), Mercedes: C,E,S - ML, GL.......BMW: 3,5,7 - X3, X5, X6.......Acura: TSX, TL - RDX, MDX......etc. Compare that to Lincoln, where it's MKZ, MKS - MKX, MKT.

All that said, I fully understand the idea behind going to an alpha-numeric naming scheme, but the implementation hasn't turned out to be the best. It'd be interesting to hear Mulally's thoughts on the 'situation,' given his Taurus name revival.

For example (sedan-crossover), Mercedes: C,E,S - ML, GL.......BMW: 3,5,7 - X3, X5, X6.......Acura: TSX, TL - RDX, MDX......etc. Compare that to Lincoln, where it's MKZ, MKS - MKX, MKT.

Whoever owns the P R N D L name must be making a fortune off royalties.

• Like 1

Nope. Too soon.

Maybe giving an altogether new model (e.g. the small CUV) a name, but not calling the next MKZ a "Zephyr".

They've made their bed, they have to lie in it--for the next several years at least.

I agree that it would be a bad idea just to rename all of the models at the same time, but over time as they introduce new models slowly reintroduce names. I don't see an issue with renaming a car like the MKS when it is completely redesigned. The Taurus for example probably should have remained the Five-Hundred when it was slightly restyled in 2008. They should have waited until the 2010 to bring back Taurus. It would have made more sense.

Anyhow with new Lincoln models arriving it might be time to dust off some names and find some new ones. If they add more models and keep going with MK whatever it is going to get real messy.

Most people I talk to are confused with the current naming scheme. The few that can even identify what an MK is can't really tell you what MK is what. Some don't even know it is a Lincoln and instead confuse it for some other luxury maker. Would the MKS be more successful today if it would have been introduced as the new Lincoln Continental? I'm not sure, but I know it would have had much better recognition by the general public as a full sized luxury car.

The whole Alphanumeric idea came when they said they wanted to take their cars over to Europe, hence the LS. Now that didn't go anywhere, and they have admitted they won't be anytime soon, therefore normal names can be used now. I loathe the whole MK-theme since it makes no sense, BUT I agree also its' not a good time for it, BUT part of me says that it IS a good time as they introduce new products shortly. Their thought behind it was people would call a vehicle "That Lincoln SUV", or "the Lincoln small car", Lincoln Lincoln Lincoln (Marsha marsh Marsha) s what they were aiming for, and they got it. But thinking about it, do you really want to drive 'that Lincoln small car", because you feel compelled to EXPLAIN to them, which model you have? To me it's tedious and stupid.

People KNOW who makes a Continental, and a Navgator, and a Town Car, and a Mark8...Lincoln. People, specially older demographics, can identify better with that, and you can bring in Zephyr because to me, its just a name, and I KNOW it's a Lincoln name, and thats all I know about THAT name. There's other luxury cars out there that go under the radar...people will know who makes the G35, but do they know about the "M"? People know the TL, but what about RL ? And with introductions of ZDX, CRX, etc, it's all so mixed up now, no one really cares.

The Taurus for example probably should have remained the Five-Hundred when it was slightly restyled in 2008. They should have waited until the 2010 to bring back Taurus. It would have made more sense.

Actually, it WAS the 2008 Five Hundred (I saw it at NAIAS, picture below). The idea was to reintroduce the Taurus name to the public, so people knew it was still around by the time the 2010 came out. I agree by saying I would've waited until 2010 to reintroduce the Taurus name.

IMGP0712-2.jpg

Actually, it WAS the 2008 Five Hundred (I saw it at NAIAS, picture below). The idea was to reintroduce the Taurus name to the public, so people knew it was still around by the time the 2010 came out. I agree by saying I would've waited until 2010 to reintroduce the Taurus name.

Ford did keep the name Five Hundred for the 2008 and 2009 models in Saudi Arabia and the other middle eastern countries . Ford changed the name to Taurus when it introduced the 2010 model .

Edited by mercury_1988

This silly naming scheme needs to die , the sooner the better. While i understand the theory behind the names, rather the lack of names. In practice it has not worked. when i take my Aviator to the Lincoln dealer for service even the service writers struggle to keep alphabet soup straight, "that was a what, MK What? its comical. Its just as bad in the showroom when the salesmen struggle to remember what the latest MK scheme is, the long time salesmen all say the same thing: we miss the names, it was so much better"

Shoulda stuck with the real names. The MK- is very confusing even for a Lincoln fan like me. I always hesitate when descussiing one of the new models. Didn't I read that originally they were going to use "Mark"" instead of MK? The Zephyr was to become the Mark Z and so on. Not a great idea either. I prefer the names such as Continental, Town Car, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, Mark IX, etc. As each is replaced by a substantial updated model (more than a freshening up), the names should return.

Shoulda stuck with the real names. The MK- is very confusing even for a Lincoln fan like me. I always hesitate when descussiing one of the new models. Didn't I read that originally they were going to use "Mark"" instead of MK? The Zephyr was to become the Mark Z and so on. Not a great idea either. I prefer the names such as Continental, Town Car, Navigator, Aviator, Zephyr, Mark IX, etc. As each is replaced by a substantial updated model (more than a freshening up), the names should return.

Initially, the MK naming scheme was to be pronounced "Mark X", "Mark Z" and whatever. That was quickly changed to the "Em Kay Echs", "Em Kay Zee" pronounciation. All downhill from there.

Apparently a new Navigator is due in 2011 as a MY2012, and I hope they keep the name with the redesign.

This is just a re-hash of a discussion from over 2 years ago. Back then most people were saying,"Well everyone else is doing it and you have to compete on that level."

So I guess 2 years from now, this will come up once again.

But I really don't think Ford is listening to comment on here. I never liked it, and the way things are going right now, It would be ideal for Ford to return to names as another way to differentiate American design with the use of a name. Probably the real hurtle is how to return in a graceful way.

ˈlɪŋkən <- my 1st. submission

I said "Names".

In my opinion, the problem with Lincoln's scheme is that -- much like Acura and Jaguar -- it's all over the map, and hard for normal people to understand. Compare Lincoln with the others:

Lincoln

(MKC), MKZ, MKX, MKS, MKT -- Guess which are smaller, which are larger, and which ones are the CUVs. (Hint: I put them in size order for you).

Mercedes

C-class, M-class, E-class, R-class, G-class, S-class. I think M-B gets away with the CUV variations simply due to tradition. Even then, at least for the sedans, the naming is in (English) alphabetic order - C, E, S.

Volvo:

C30, S40, V50, S60, XC60, C70, XC70, S80, XC90. S for sedan, C for Coupe, V for wagon, XC for CUV

BMW

1-, 3-, 5-, 6-, 7-series, X in front means CUV

Lexus

IS, ES, GS, LS for the sedans (although IS is out of place), Their C/SUVs are out of order - RX and GX for the crossovers, LX for the SUV. The LF-A is unique.

Infiniti

G is smaller than M, I/J were smaller, and Q was larger, EX, FX QX are the C/SUVs in size order.

Cadillac

ALS, BLS, CTS, STS, DTS - STS is out of sequence, and SRX is the CUV. Escalade still exists.

Didn't I have this poll a month or two ago.

I think there are flaws to the system. I think it would have worked better if they stuck with Mark (though to have expected people to call the MkX MarkX is stoooopid). Changing the whole system at once (again) doesn't really make sense, though I'd prefer names. I would prefer NEW names. The only Lincoln name possibly worth reviving is Continental.

Didn't I have this poll a month or two ago.

I think there are flaws to the system. I think it would have worked better if they stuck with Mark (though to have expected people to call the MkX MarkX is stoooopid). Changing the whole system at once (again) doesn't really make sense, though I'd prefer names. I would prefer NEW names. The only Lincoln name possibly worth reviving is Continental.

Continental, Aviator, and Navigator nameplates would be good, IMO.

I favor alphanumeric. Actually, I favor sticking with a name. Certain names are pretty iconic for Lincoln now, chiefly MKX. There is no reason a naming scheme like this can't work.

I think bringing back the Taurus name was an important move, glad they did it and stuck with it now. Should Lincoln bring back the Continental name? No, the name died along with the car thank you very much! This is not a segment in which nostalgia works in your favor.

Part of the problem is that Lincoln's scheme isn't appha-numeric. It's just alphabet soup. BMW's designation actually tells you where the car fits in the hierarchy 1 Series = entry level; 3 Series mid-range 5 Series = upper mid size 7 Series = large. It works while keeping the BMW name front and center. Mercedes makes a little less sense as you hacually have to know which letter class designates which size vehicle.

Lincoln is just a mess. who knows where S, T, Z and X fall in the order of things. It would make more sense if they had used alpha-numeric MK 3,4,5,6 etc. They originally intended the LS to be designated LS6 and LS8

Cadillac is only slightly better since they don't use the same first two letters across the board. CTS is easier to distinguish from SRX tham MKZ is from MKX.

Lincoln should re-introduce names for the lines with the introduction of new models.

Lincoln should re-introduce names for the lines with the introduction of new models.

Exactly. I would consider dumping the "MKS" badge when the MCE'd S comes out next year in favor of Continental. Maybe with a new name they could manage to sell the magic number of 2,000 units a month. :shades: