Lincoln model names *POLL*

Bring back names to Lincoln?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. When Lincoln vehicles are redesigned should Ford start to bring back names such as Continental, Zephyr, or stay with the MK naming scheme?

• Yes bring back model names
    • Stick with the MK naming scheme
    • Stay with Alpha-Numeric but add other letter combinations, for example LS

I favor alphanumeric. Actually, I favor sticking with a name. Certain names are pretty iconic for Lincoln now, chiefly MKX. There is no reason a naming scheme like this can't work.

I think bringing back the Taurus name was an important move, glad they did it and stuck with it now. Should Lincoln bring back the Continental name? No, the name died along with the car thank you very much! This is not a segment in which nostalgia works in your favor.

I would think that the Town Car and Mark ? names would inspire some loyal fans.

Town Car? Are you kidding? That name should ride into the sunset for a long while. Sure, it's an instantly recognizable name associated with Lincoln, but to today's generation of buyers, all it represents is either an old person's car or a limo, nothing else.

Part of the problem is that Lincoln's scheme isn't appha-numeric. It's just alphabet soup. BMW's designation actually tells you where the car fits in the hierarchy 1 Series = entry level; 3 Series mid-range 5 Series = upper mid size 7 Series = large. It works while keeping the BMW name front and center. Mercedes makes a little less sense as you hacually have to know which letter class designates which size vehicle.

Lincoln is just a mess. who knows where S, T, Z and X fall in the order of things. It would make more sense if they had used alpha-numeric MK 3,4,5,6 etc. They originally intended the LS to be designated LS6 and LS8

Cadillac is only slightly better since they don't use the same first two letters across the board. CTS is easier to distinguish from SRX tham MKZ is from MKX.

Lincoln should re-introduce names for the lines with the introduction of new models.

Agreed. As I said in an earlier post, the main issue with Lincoln's naming scheme I see is the fact that there's no difference between sedans and crossovers, everything's just MK_. Had they differentiated the two (for example, having the sedans be MARK Z and MARK S, spelled, while the crossovers would stay MKX and MKT), I think it'd be easier for customers and even salespeople to get used to the naming scheme. (Any future coupes, by the way, could then become MARK 9,10,11,etc perhaps with roman numerals like before).

Town Car? Are you kidding? That name should ride into the sunset for a long while. Sure, it's an instantly recognizable name associated with Lincoln, but to today's generation of buyers, all it represents is either an old person's car or a limo, nothing else.

Agreed. As I said in an earlier post, the main issue with Lincoln's naming scheme I see is the fact that there's no difference between sedans and crossovers, everything's just MK_. Had they differentiated the two (for example, having the sedans be MARK Z and MARK S, spelled, while the crossovers would stay MKX and MKT), I think it'd be easier for customers and even salespeople to get used to the naming scheme. (Any future coupes, by the way, could then become MARK 9,10,11,etc perhaps with roman numerals like before).

MARK R doesn't flow off the tongue very well now does it? Continental S or Continental R maybe. Anyone for Town Coupe'? Remember those?

MARK R doesn't flow off the tongue very well now does it? Continental S or Continental R maybe. Anyone for Town Coupe'? Remember those?

I agree it doesn't, I was just trying to present an alternative way to differentiate the names better.

....and I'll take that as a hint........ :D I know you can't say, but does it look anything like this? If so, that'd be a 3rd design of mine they've used (2010 Taurus, 2011 Edge script, MKR....my Jag XJ rear taillights/design were spot on too, all 2-4 years before any were released).

mkr3.jpg

I agree it doesn't, I was just trying to present an alternative way to differentiate the names better.

....and I'll take that as a hint........ :D I know you can't say, but does it look anything like this? If so, that'd be a 3rd design of mine they've used (2010 Taurus, 2011 Edge script, MKR....my Jag XJ rear taillights/design were spot on too, all 2-4 years before any were released).

mkr3.jpg

I like that design rmc. I think that would be a good hit for Lincoln, and immediately overshadow anything from Cadillac. You would even have some German car buyers shopping Lincolns.

Since Lincoln is basically starting over again with heavily revised I hope MKS, all new MKZ, and all new MKC, now is the time to get rid of the alphabet soup naming, and give the vehicles proper names that can be remembered. Don't wait another two years. Get it over with soon. Lincoln hasn't really started any ad blitz since dumping Mercury. The ad blitz will probably come with MCE MKS. I haven't seen one TV ad on the the MKX. A good plan would be to give proper name as each new model or MCE debuts. The sooner you get the pain over the better. The alpha naming they are using now hasn't worked. Almost everyone has complained about it. Mulally seems the type to act decisively and get it over with. Do it soon. I know I have to think twice everytime I say name of certain Lincoln vehicle. That is not good.

I like that design rmc. I think that would be a good hit for Lincoln, and immediately overshadow anything from Cadillac. You would even have some German car buyers shopping Lincolns.

RMC, I like your designs much better than what Lincoln has done so far. You should be a design consultant for them...they need one. You also do the split wing grill better than them and make it more tasteful and pleasing to the eye. The split wing grill on the MKT is awful and the front and back are completely out of sync. No symetry whatsoever. If you did the new LIncoln sedan for them, it would sell fine.

I choose D. None of the above.

Yeah, the current names are a mess.

Another alphabet soup wouldn't really be much better.

And wow, I really sure hope they don't revive names like Town Car and Continental for new products. They just sound entirely outdated. It would be like Cadillac bringing back Eldorado or Fleetwood.

Edited by NickF1011

And wow, I really sure hope they don't revive names like Town Car and Continental for new products. They just sound entirely outdated. It would be like Cadillac bringing back Eldorado or Fleetwood.

If continental is good enough for Bentley, it's good enough for Lincoln. Remember, Lincoln had the name first.

Edited by Chester

I would agree that Town Car is outdated and connotes 80's mushy, limo ride, but Continental is still a modern sounding name and could be used just like Zephyr was before Ford changed it. Aviator and Navigator are still viable names. Some old names deserve to stay buried, but others can go on with no problem. Many could argue that the Taurus name should have stayed buried, but it didn't and soldiers on. The Bronco and Thunderbird are other names that could soldier on also. The Fairmont, Versailles, Granada, and Tempo no. Maverick is still a modern name iMO. And of course Lincoln could easily find very modern names that connote luxury and beyond the ordinary driving experience. The name Continental certainly conveys this and is still a modern name.

They're trying to reinvent the brand. I don't think there will ever be a better time to change. If they're going to do it, then do it now (starting with each new model, not mid model). If they want to stick with alpha or alphanumeric then they need a new scheme.

If continental is good enough for Bentley, it;s good enough for Lincoln. Remember, Lincoln had the name first.

I think the only reason it passes muster at Bentley is because it sounds so ridiculously uppity that it fits their clientele well.

When I think Continental, I think:

the-continental.jpg

I think the only reason it passes muster at Bentley is because it sounds so ridiculously uppity that it fits their clientele well.

When I think Continental, I think:

the-continental.jpg

Hey...Christopher Walken is one cool dude, and if being a Continental man is good enough for him, it's good enough for me. :shades: A little on the dangerous side, but that gives Lincoln some edginess.

RMC, I like your designs much better than what Lincoln has done so far. You should be a design consultant for them...they need one. You also do the split wing grill better than them and make it more tasteful and pleasing to the eye. The split wing grill on the MKT is awful and the front and back are completely out of sync. No symetry whatsoever. If you did the new LIncoln sedan for them, it would sell fine.

Well thank you, FordBuyer. It was heavily inspired by the MKR concept (since it's supposed to be a production version of it). Glad you like it!

I also designed the Cosmopolitan a few years ago now, which you've probably seen before:

cosmopolitan7.jpg

MK -alpha letters are in line with the desire to have the customer want a Lincoln...not a Continental, or Navigator, or Town Car.....The old names need to stay right where they are, in the history books.

An improved naming scheme would include the MK series for the standard line and a higher performance line titled with LK or a similar alpha designation. Like it or not...names are definitely out when it comes to luxury vehicles,,,,

Edited by twintornados

I voted for names. I cannot for the life of me quickly connect which MK(insert letter) name goes with which Lincoln vehicle without thought. I am always getting the MKZ confused with the MKS in conversations even though visually I can see the cars in my head. And I always have to try to remember which vehicle is named MKT and MKX...

Well established names like Continental automatically still have an instant recognition as being a Lincoln. It's not a tarnished name.. It's not an old sounding name. It just needs a modern representation of that model that defines the name's image as relavent and still contemporary.

On the other hand, the Town Car name need not reapply. It sounds like something permanently antiquated and not contemporary.

The Mark Series as a stand alone name for a single high end halo model for the entire Lincoln brand could return.

Mercury just got done using the Premier name on it's premuim models. It was a Lincoln name from the 1950's. That name is still contemporary and evokes something special and exlusive.

I always liked the Comopolitan name from the past but I think it is too associated with the magazine of the same name as people relate to it these days.

I will always be a fan of the Zephyr name which is the name of the Greek god of the west wind. It's phonetic sound has always appealed to me not to mention I remember reading about these as Lincoln models when I was quite young.

Navigator can stay as a name for a premium CUV. Aviator was a perfect name for the smaller companion to the Navigator.

If the Taurus can gain respect for redefining it's namesake, then the same can be applied to any of the historic Lincoln nameplates.

MK -alpha letters are in line with the desire to have the customer want a Lincoln...not a Continental, or Navigator, or Town Car.....The old names need to stay right where they are, in the history books.

An improved naming scheme would include the MK series for the standard line and a higher performance line titled with LK or a similar alpha designation. Like it or not...names are definitely out when it comes to luxury vehicles,,,,

How about K-Series for all?

How about K-Series for all?

NO! That makes me think of the K car that Chrysler did back when they needed federal bailout money. Never was a fan of the "K cars." I do like the name Cosmopolitan that Lincoln did many decades ago and Sentinel is cool. Remember, there are lots of former Lincoln customers out there waiting for Lincoln to do something that interests them. I don't know that Lincoln has to follow the crowd and do Alpha-Numeric names like them that take longer to get used to and remember. Porshce uses names like Boxster and Cayenne, and numbers like 911. Lincoln could mix it up like they used to with names and Mark 7 or whatever. Not a big deal....doesn't take years of lead time to glue on a chrome namelplate on trunk. You have to spend a lot of money to market vehicle no matter what the name. it's not like any present Lincoln name has caught on anyway, there are so few buyers of MKS, MKT especially. Aviator is a cooler name than MKT. And Sentinel is cooler name than MKS.