Ford SuperCar Rumor spreads.

Reigner92

Amid its onslaught of new and improved mainstream cars and trucks, Ford needs to front-load its near-future product lineup with high-profit models, which is another reason a loss leader like the Volt is out. The interest rates on Ford's line of credit, presciently taken in 2006, go up from near zero to prime rate on January 1, 2011.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2010/1011_new_gt_for_ford/index.html#ixzz11F0IRv2E

Ummm ok

Zero net Debt by 2011

So Motor Trend thinks Ford needs to spend money it doesn't have to pay of debt? WTF

• 2 weeks later...

As ridiculous as MotorTrend's antics are, the rumor is absolutely true. It will be a mid-engine (GDi twin-turbo V6) driven flyweight with dangerously sharp handling potential; per Blue II.

All of which I would assume must be based on a completely new platform too? Sounds like a stupendous waste of resources at this time.

All things that can also be said for the far more important revival of Lincoln.

Sounds like this will be more of a technology showpiece than just another supercar. Replace the flywheel with a plug-in battery and you have a parallel plug-in hybrid with the batteries driving the front wheels and the engine driving the rear wheels.

Sounds like this will be more of a technology showpiece than just another supercar. Replace the flywheel with a plug-in battery and you have a parallel plug-in hybrid with the batteries driving the front wheels and the engine driving the rear wheels.

So package all of that into a state-of-the-art Lincoln showpiece instead. :idea:

I personally would love to see a product by Ford that would compete and best the Chevy Corvette. I'm tired of hearing the Chevy fools yap about the stupid Corvette. It would be nice to put their sorry posteriors on the shelf. I'm not sure Mulally is the guy to do that though. He's probably too practical of a thinking guy to do something like that BUT there are enough "car" guys with him that they may be able to convince him to give it a green light.

Nice to think about.

I personally would love to see a product by Ford that would compete and best the Chevy Corvette. I'm tired of hearing the Chevy fools yap about the stupid Corvette. It would be nice to put their sorry posteriors on the shelf. I'm not sure Mulally is the guy to do that though. He's probably too practical of a thinking guy to do something like that BUT there are enough "car" guys with him that they may be able to convince him to give it a green light.

Nice to think about.

GM has had half a century to get the Corvette to become the icon that it is, and it is an icon. There's a reason it's really the only car in its class (it obviously competes on paper quite favorably with many vehicles far above its class, but that's another argument). If Ford is going to go back into the sports car arena, it needs to do something completely different. They will fail if they try to "out-Corvette the Corvette".

GM has had half a century to get the Corvette to become the icon that it is, and it is an icon. There's a reason it's really the only car in its class (it obviously competes on paper quite favorably with many vehicles far above its class, but that's another argument). If Ford is going to go back into the sports car arena, it needs to do something completely different. They will fail if they try to "out-Corvette the Corvette".

Truth. What Ford needs is a more revolutionary design. Something that just screams next-gen.

In my opinion, an R8 competitor would be most appropriate... Style, quality, lightweight construction, and a knife edged body.

All of which I would assume must be based on a completely new platform too? Sounds like a stupendous waste of resources at this time.

Could be recycling the Ford GT platform, with it being able to pass crash regs....which would be a smart idea and does what this rumor is talking about. The GT only went out of Production in 2007 or so

• 2 weeks later...

low volume platforms like this are a magnitude cheaper to develop, than highvolume platforms.

It wont be that expensive.

remember the GT made a profit.

I wonder if it might be the Shelby GR-1 that was so well received at the Detroit auto show? If I recall it used 3/4 of the Ford GT platform, only turned around so it was front engine. It could be built by Shelby in small volumes too!

Yes please! Shove a fully tuned Miami V8 in it and a sturdy manual and I'm gone! :D

A person who happened to be in a small group (<20) being addressed by Alan brought up the "zero debt by the end of 2011" goal. Alan smiled and basically said, that was the "official" position, but he had "seen the numbers" and they will beat that by a long way.

He also said that even though Ford did not have a "investment grade" bond rating yet, they could borrow today at that rate.

Edited by theoldwizard

A person who happened to be in a small group (<20) being addressed by Alan brought up the "zero debt by the end of 2011" goal. Alan smiled and basically said, that was the "official" position, but he had "seen the numbers" and they will beat that by a long way.

He also said that even though Ford did not have a "investment grade" bond rating yet, they could borrow today at that rate.

If that is the case then Ford could probably refinance most of their debt at that better rate too.

That would bring Ford another step closer to investment grade, inch by inch....