T6 Ranger Revealed

I have generally agreed with most, if not all, of Mulally's decisions the last couple of years. However, I feel this is a mistake not bringing this vehicle to the U.S. market.

If they had a powertrain that could deliver 30mpg, then it would be a strong seller.

That looks like the perfect size truck. Please Ford, bring it to the U.S.

A couple more photo's can be found here:

http://smh.drive.com.au/sydney-motor-show/revealed-new-ford-ranger-ute-20101014-16lj8.html

One thing though -- are those tail lights big enough? Yikes!

That's one thing I've never understood about the T6 - the taillights are always so huge for some reason:

2009-fordpkranger-xltsupercab-roadtestreview-13.jpg

The Colorado/Canyon are like that too - all their lights (headlights, taillights, HCMSL) are all waaaay oversized and contribute to their ugly look.

Nice looking little truck. Ford could sell a million-of-em here in the states. However there-in lies the problem. That T6 would take away too many F-150 sales.

Slap some sort of F-XXX badge on it and you solve the loss of F-series sales problem. Of course, these likely wouldn't bring as much profit in as an F-150 would.

Slap some sort of F-XXX badge on it and you solve the loss of F-series sales problem. Of course, these likely wouldn't bring as much profit in as an F-150 would.

I don't think they'd be allowed to combine them. The only reason they can get away with it on the F-series is that they are still in the same size class.

Nice looking little truck. Ford could sell a million-of-em here in the states. However there-in lies the problem. That T6 would take away too many F-150 sales.

From what I can tell, in order for Ford to sell an all new Ranger here, I would think it would have to sell much better than the current Ranger to get a decent ROI. In order to do that, where would the sales come from? Do you think people would stop buying Tacomas because Ford has a "me too"? Doubt it. Would it cut into F150 sales? Perhaps, but not by much I wouldn't think. People who buy small trucks don't want big trucks and people that buy big trucks typically don't want small trucks. In order for Ford to be successful in this segment, they would have to build a better Tacoma. If this Ranger is a better Tacoma and small truck sales do go up dramatically, I am confident Ford will bring this new Ranger here.

There's also one other thing we don't know about. What will the next gen F-Series be like? Will the next F150 shrink? Will the F150 & SD stay on separate platforms or will they merge? Will there be an F100 slotted below the F150 that would too close in size to a T6 Ranger to bring it here? There's a lot of unanswered questions that when they get answered, the decision for not bring the T6 Ranger here may make more sense.

Doubt it. People that buy full size trucks don't cross shop with smaller trucks.

They might if the smaller trucks currently available weren't such garbage. With the loyalty in truck buyers, someone looking at a lower trim F-150 might very well consider a Ranger if it wasn't so badly outdated.

• Like 1

Bad and Boring design, especially that interior. The fascia doesn't even look Ford, it reminds me of the new Jetta. Is there nobody at Ford Global or Domestic that knows how to design a trully unique and expressive design while still preserving design quality and balance? I'm getting really annoyed with all the bad or bland design coming from Ford.

Edited by BORG

Bad and Boring design, especially that interior. The fascia doesn't even look Ford, it reminds me of the new Jetta. Is there nobody at Ford Global or Domestic that knows how to design a trully unique and expressive design while still preserving design quality and balance? I'm getting really annoyed with all the bad or bland design coming from Ford.

Everyone else seems to like it. Why are you always the contrarian?

Wow! Did anybody catch that the model on display was a 4x4 crew cab with a *gasp* .... manual transmission?

This is the truck I've been wanting for a while now. Too bad Ford North America only gives me three options:

1) Buy a severly obese and bloated F-150

2) Keep driving my 20 year old, 250,000 mile old Ranger junk I already have

3) Buy the current Ranger that is the same as my 20 year old Ranger junk expect with a shiny new paint job

Ford NA better have an Ace up their sleeve with regards to the Ranger - 'Cause their official decisions regarding the current Ranger and the T6 don't make a lot of sense.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

I forget the exact difference that guy from Ford quoted between this Ranger and F150 to say there wasn't a big enough difference in size. But visually it looks much smaller than the F150.

It's definitely still smaller in size. Where I think Ford has a hard time justifying it for the American market is the size difference in price. A moderately optioned T6 Ranger would likely climb in price well beyond where the F-150 starts.

Nice looking truck. Based on the side view, either the rear seat has limosine-sized legroom or the bed is a wee bit short (IMO). Are they making a long bed version?

The short bed is popular with some, however, I think Toyota has that market covered.

Toyota_Taliban.jpg

Edited by jpvbs

It's definitely still smaller in size. Where I think Ford has a hard time justifying it for the American market is the size difference in price. A moderately optioned T6 Ranger would likely climb in price well beyond where the F-150 starts.

And what, exactly, is wrong with that. So long as a stripped T6 costs less than a stripped F-150, and a fully optioned XLT crew T6 costs less than a fully optioned XLT crew F-150, the T6 would be, by definition, in a lower price bracket than the F-150.

Look at it this way:

If I'm going to buy a truck for a daily driver (keep in mind I already have old F-150 that I keep around for full-size duties) would I buy a $35,000, 20 mpg F-150 that is a pain to park, or a $30,000, 25 mpg T6 that is much more friendly to park and manuever? It's a no-brainer.

And yes, there are plenty of people like me insist on daily driving a truck of some sort rather than a car. We have a very nice car, and I still prefer my 20 year old trucks.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1