T6 Ranger Revealed

And what, exactly, is wrong with that. So long as a stripped T6 costs less than a stripped F-150, and a fully optioned XLT crew T6 costs less than a fully optioned XLT F-150, the T6 would be, by definition, in a lower price bracket than the F-150.

Look at it this way:

If I'm going to buy a truck for a daily driver (keep in mind I already have old F-150 that I keep around for full-size duties) would I buy a $35,000, 20 mpg F-150 that is a pain to park, or a $30,000, 25 mpg T6 that is much more friendly to park and manuever? It's a no-brainer.

And yes, there are plenty of people like me insist on daily driving a truck of some sort rather than a car. We have a very nice car, and I still prefer my 20 year old trucks.

It's not a no-brainer if you've previously owned a fullsize truck (so the fuel economy and parking concerns are non-existent) or if you are looking for a more capable vehicle but you are limited to a particular budget. You can buy a plenty capable F-150 for under $30,000 (why you handicapped it with a $5K higher price in your scenario is puzzling). A lot of buyers are looking for capability (towing/payload) over options and other content.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

It's not a no-brainer if you've previously owned a fullsize truck (so the fuel economy and parking concerns are non-existent) or if you are looking for a more capable vehicle but you are limited to a particular budget. You can buy a plenty capable F-150 for under $30,000 (why you handicapped it with a $5K higher price in your scenario is puzzling).

Actually, I've owned and/or driven more full size trucks than I can count. This is precisely why I realize that there is a problem with fuel economy and parking as a daily driver.

Yes, it's easy to get a regular (or maybe even supercab) F-150 for under 30K. However, you can't touch a 4x4, crew cab F-150 for 30 grand anywhere around here (actually I just checked Ford's website and the XLT 4x4 supercrew starts at $35.7K). A crew cab is a necessity for a daily driver. Like I said, for work truck duties, I already have a regular cab F-150. I just want a daily driver truck that comfortably seats 4, has 4x4 for winter driving, and still has a outside bed I can throw junk in, for that application, the T6 would be a no-brainer over an F-150.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

It's definitely still smaller in size. Where I think Ford has a hard time justifying it for the American market is the size difference in price. A moderately optioned T6 Ranger would likely climb in price well beyond where the F-150 starts.

fully optioned out Fiesta vs base Focus

fully optioned Focus vs base Fusion

fully optioned Fusion vs base Taurus

shall we go on?

• Like 1

fully optioned out Fiesta vs base Focus

fully optioned Focus vs base Fusion

fully optioned Fusion vs base Taurus

shall we go on?

The overlap would be far larger on the F-series than any of the ones you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if T6 Ranger prices climbed into the high 30's if it were to be brought here.

The overlap would be far larger on the F-series than any of the ones you mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if T6 Ranger prices climbed into the high 30's if it were to be brought here.

crewcabs and 4wds for sure.

but let's compare similar vehicles.

A, XLT, crewcab 4x4 Ranger will still be many thousands less than the same in an F150 and should not be compared to a regular cab 4x2 F150..

I haven't done an analysis, but I'm sure the same costing situation is in play at Dodge and Toyota. Dakota and Tacoma crewcab 4x4s are not cheap at all.

Edited by J-150
  • Like 1

For you maybe. Not for plenty of other buyers. My brother's F-150 extended cab was his daily driver for years. :shrug:

Yeah, and I've daily driven regular cab pickups for multiple stretches of time as well. So long as it's just you, they're great. For a work truck, where I want to haul a huge load of firewood or something, the regular cab/ 8' box is perfect. But now that I have a family, a 2 seater just doesn't cut it. A supercab pickup is not really anymore than a regular cab pickup with some extra dry space to lock up valuables/tools. They work in a pinch for extras passengers, but they're not ideal by any strech of the imagination.

crewcabs and 4wds for sure.

but let's compare similar vehicles.

A, XLT, crewcab 4x4 Ranger will still be many thousands less than the same in an F150 and should not be compared to a regular cab 4x2 F150..

That's the thing though. I'm not asserting that people would be shopping for comparably equipped versions of each vehicle. Plenty of them would be F-150's with far fewer options than the similarly priced Ranger they may have been considering.

I haven't done an analysis, but I'm sure the same costing situation is in play at Dodge and Toyota.

Yes it is. And Dakota sales are nearly kaput compared to Ram 1500. Tacoma and Tundra appear to compete with each other a bit more evenly, as the Tacoma is (at least in my opinion) the best small pickup available here. But does Ford really want the Ranger competing more evenly with the F-150 for sales? Based on suspected profit margins, probably not.

That's the thing though. I'm not asserting that people would be shopping for comparably equipped versions of each vehicle. Plenty of them would be F-150's with far fewer options than the similarly priced Ranger they may have been considering.

I don't think that would happen to very great extent. I doubt any one walking into a showroom looking for a crew cab 4x4 is going to settle for a 2wd regular cab just because it will tow a little more trailer. Besides that based on current F-150 V6 specs and current V6 Ranger specs (which I assume the T6 only improves upon) the V6 F-150 is not rated to tow significantly more than a V6 Ranger.

So I don't agree. In order to get an F-150 with significantly more capability than a Ranger, you are looking at some of the more expensive F-150 models. Besides that, probably only a small minority of even full-size truck owners actually have a use for capability in excess of the 6000 lbs the Ranger is rated to tow. Once again, I'm guessing the T6 probably does even better than the current Ranger, probably more like 7000 lbs.

Yes it is. And Dakota sales are nearly kaput compared to Ram 1500. Tacoma and Tundra appear to compete with each other a bit more evenly, as the Tacoma is (at least in my opinion) the best small pickup available here. But does Ford really want the Ranger competing more evenly with the F-150 for sales? Based on suspected profit margins, probably not.

This goes back to my earlier example on cars. Some people would actually prefer a decked-out Fusion over a lesser equipped Taurus. Same here. You can get a decked-out Ranger, or an F150 without a lot of bells and whistles. If the buyer also prefers the smaller truck then a sale is made.

As far as Dakota ales, it wasn't always that way. At one time they sold on par, just like Toyota. I think it has more to do with the last few redesigns being unattractive.

• Like 1

well the t6 is about the same size as the 97-03 f150. so the new ranger (f100?) could be same size class.

What is that based on? If I get out my tape measure, the current F-150 has pretty much the same dimensions as my '95 F-150. The only difference is that it weighs about 1000 lbs more and just looks bigger - much of which is due to the very high belt-line.

The T6 is definitely smaller than the 97-03 F-series (which also happen to be roughly the same dimensions as every other F-150 made in the last 30 years, according to a tape measure.)

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

As far as Dakota ales, it wasn't always that way. At one time they sold on par, just like Toyota. I think it has more to do with the last few redesigns being unattractive.

Exactly, the Dakota redesigns have been ugly and non-competitive (drivetrains, etc), the Colorados have been junk since the beginning, the Ranger is more or less the same as 1984, whereas the Tacoma has been given competitive powertrains and at least acceptable styling. And guess what, the Tacoma outsells everything else by quite a bit. The Ranger is 2nd in sales because they have the best gas mileage 4 cylinder for fleets, and because the 1984 design was so great that it is still at least marginally competitive 25 years later.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

This goes back to my earlier example on cars. Some people would actually prefer a decked-out Fusion over a lesser equipped Taurus. Same here. You can get a decked-out Ranger, or an F150 without a lot of bells and whistles. If the buyer also prefers the smaller truck then a sale is made.

The exact opposite happens quite often as well though. During my brief stint selling Fords back in the late 90's, I would get several customers who had to have an Expedition...or had to have an F-150, despite their ability to buy a much nicer equipped Explorer or Ranger.

Oh yeah, and with current incentives on the F-series, you can get a XLT Supercab 4x4 V8 for under $30K.

The exact opposite happens quite often as well though. During my brief stint selling Fords back in the late 90's, I would get several customers who had to have an Expedition...or had to have an F-150, despite their ability to buy a much nicer equipped Explorer or Ranger.

Oh yeah, and with current incentives on the F-series, you can get a XLT Supercab 4x4 V8 for under $30K.

Gas was a $1.20 back then. I loved my F150 4X4 extended cab when gas was cheap. Now, I wouldn't even consider one as my daily driver with it's mpg rating around 14-16mpg combined. I'm driving a Dodge Diesel that makes 20mpg. If this new Ranger can average in the middle 20's say 23-27 mpg combined, I'd own one in a second. The current Ranger just doesn't have the body styles I'm interested in. The Sportstrac seemed like a nice design, but it only would get a mpg or so better than an F150 (why bother with that).

• Like 1

Exactly! If I could get a crew cab T6 for the same price as a supercab F-150, than it's a no-brainer to get the T6 for daily driving. If I'm buying a truck for it's capabilities, it'd be either an F-150 4x4 regular cab ecoboost, or a 4x4 regular cab F-250 SD.

And peoples preferences for huge trucks in the late 90's when gas was a buck a gallon doesn't really mean much today. If Ford offered buyers a well-appointed smaller truck that got 3-5 mpg better and offered a crew cab for the same price as a supercab F-150, but still retained significant truck capabilities (like the current Ranger) I have no doubt that Ford wouldn't have any trouble moving them.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

What is that based on? If I get out my tape measure, the current F-150 has pretty much the same dimensions as my '95 F-150. The only difference is that it weighs about 1000 lbs more and just looks bigger - much of which is due to the very high belt-line.

The T6 is definitely smaller than the 97-03 F-series (which also happen to be roughly the same dimensions as every other F-150 made in the last 30 years, according to a tape measure.)

it was based on reports from about a year (i believe, maybe older) that it would be about 7/8th the current f150.

The T6 styling doesn't look appreciably different than the current Sport Trac. The crew cab bed length is probably a little longer and that is a good thing. Bring it here and make it available with a 3.7L V6, manual trans and 4x4 and it would be my next truck. Although I know it will never happen, drop in a 5.0L and I would be in heaven. One can always dream though.

Can't wait to see how well the I5 TD gets up and boogies! :D

The interior is on par, if not just above the current crop of large utes here in Aus. Looks well put together, thought out and specced as well.

The exterior is also well above the current crop as well - easily the best looking ute out of the lot! :)

Again, can't wait to have a go at one! Could be the next family rig...