spied: 2013 fusion hybrid

Looks like the drivetrain has changed a ton!

They either integrated the DC to DC converter (read: hybrid's alternator) into the transmission or that is the high voltage battery in the engine compartment.

The converter grew or the battery shrunk.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be switching from NiMH to Li-ion batteries (the Hyundai Sonata is already using them), in which case MAYBE the battery pack is small enough to fit into the engine bay, restoring the fold down rear seats. That's actually a make or break deal for me, I could never live with a sedan without the pass through to the trunk, and yet every hybrid sedan that's come out so far (Accord, Camry, Fusion, and I'm assuming Altima and Sonata) have tossed this feature out in order to fit the batteries back there.

Really looking forward to the Gen 3 hybrids.

Agree with 4cyl-only for the Fusion/Mondeo but what about the MKZ???

Not sure if MKZ will be on the same platform. It should have a v6 option. If the MKS goes to a larger Flex platform then the MKZ might go to a longer version of CD4 like the Taurus.

Edited by akirby

Not sure if MKZ will be on the same platform. It should have a v6 option. If the MKS goes to a larger Flex platform then the MKZ might go to a longer version of CD4 like the Taurus.

If that turns out to be the case Lincoln will definitely need a smaller/cheaper model to slot in under it.

If that turns out to be the case Lincoln will definitely need a smaller/cheaper model to slot in under it.

We keep hearing from insiders that the MKS is getting bigger, and the MKZ is getting "smaller", leaving a nice hole in between for the mysterious 7th new Lincoln. We pretty much know that the MKS is stretching to the MKT's wheelbase, so it is indeed getting bigger. What if the MKZ is staying size-wise where it is, but will lose the V6 option in lieu of the EB 2.0L I4 and gen-III Hybrid powerplants?

Edit: Further musings from insiders at the "other" site:

There are hints about a new sporty Lincoln, saying it will be essentially a RWD vehicle with electric motors to drive the front wheels. Picture a heavily-updated I-6 (from the Falcon) with Twin Turbos on top driving the rear wheels. This would apparently allow enough room inside the engine bay for the electric drive motors and possibly the battery packs. It sounds absolutely insane, but I love the concept. RWD tire-shredder when you want it to be, Electric FWD fuel sipper when you don't.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

With Ecoboost, I think a V6 in a midsize sedan is no longer needed.

wow have people's perceptions changed, as little one year ago the idea of the Mondeo's I4 and i5 lineup made it a non starter for N.A..

no we are willing to bet the farm so to speak, a turbo charged I4 lineup. amazing.

How does the next gen fusion's engine compartment compare to the upcoming focus? Would we possibly see the same hybrid powertrain in the focus?

yes, GEN III is designed to fit in the space of a I4 FWD engine bay. the previous models were designed to fit in the place of a V6.

i think ford will design the GEN III, to be and order more flexible than previous hybrid systems.

this means, wider variety of engines to be mounted to the unit, both turbo and NA engines,V6s and I4's, with the ability to scale up and down, as needed. and to enable a plug in hybrid capability, and component sharing with the BEV.

all this is being done in-house, and being built at a ford plant, in the USA.

There are hints about a new sporty Lincoln, saying it will be essentially a RWD vehicle with electric motors to drive the front wheels. Picture a heavily-updated I-6 (from the Falcon) with Twin Turbos on top driving the rear wheels. This would apparently allow enough room inside the engine bay for the electric drive motors and possibly the battery packs. It sounds absolutely insane, but I love the concept. RWD tire-shredder when you want it to be, Electric FWD fuel sipper when you don't.

That sounds like a very fun design. Would love to be working on that! Oh, and you left out the 3rd option: AWD beast with plenty of power to put down, including power that was harvested while slowing down towards the last turn à la Porsche GT3 Hybrid.

yes, GEN III is designed to fit in the space of a I4 FWD engine bay. the previous models were designed to fit in the place of a V6.

A hybrid Focus hatchback would be my dream car.

With the sale of Volvo, there's no reason that Ford can't sell product in the European luxury segment with either a Blue Oval or a Lincoln star.

It would make it unnecessary to offer a V-6 in the Mondeo, if there were a V-6 luxo offering above it. in the E-class/5-series/A6 market. :)

if ford can keep the next fusion around the weight of today's Mondeo 3164lbs (1.6)-3450lbs (ecoboost 2.0). fusion is 3285-3446lbs FWD. 3638 AWD

I cannot stress the importance of the Mondeo essentially being a large Focus, sharing a common architecture.

I think that the AWD Fusion is DEAD.

The Mondeo with the 2.0 EB 240hp. 0-62 in 7.5 secs. top speed 152mph. should be about 35-36 mpg hwy.

the EB Mondeo is running a 2.682 final drive in 6th gear, (.97) 2.6 overall ratio.