Leno Drives the Interceptor with the LAPD

Not much of a review from Jay on how the car drives.

He also appears to be impatient with the Ford personnel.

Did Ford put this on or did Leno ask for the review?

since last year (when I think Mercedes did it) manufacturers, importers, and dealers have been bringing stuff by his place to fill in time between videos about his collection. From the looks of it, they call and ask if he'd be interested and if he is it goes up on the site.

The impatience thing comes from how he does interviews, he wants to be the center of attention not the person he's talking to. The marketing people, by contrast, want to get their talking points out there for people to hear.

The impatience thing comes from how he does interviews, he wants to be the center of attention not the person he's talking to. The marketing people, by contrast, want to get their talking points out there for people to hear.

You see it a lot on Jay's interviews, he stops the person being interviewed from just rolling out a presentation.

I like his cut and change style, it tends to chop out the boring sales PR and gets to the meat of the story.

So what did I learn from this video? Cop chases on movies are going to suck if they are using the new pursuit vehicles from Ford. :P No drama, no sliding, no sound. BORING.

In all seriousness though - it looks like the Taurus is a lot more stable and easier to drive. Should be easier for a rookie to handle. The Vic looks like oh so much fun though. That V8 sounds glorious.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Unfortunately what will most likely happen is that most departments are going to switch over to the Dodge Charger. The Taurus just costs more than most departments want to spend on their police cars. The police department here is switching the Chargers after running the CV exclusively since about 1992. I know, there's going to be maintenance issues with the Charger, but you're dealing with beauracrats at municipalities now, not people who actually understand cars. The Charger wins out because of the age old saying "all of your equipment comes from the lowest bidder." And frankly a 365 hp police car isn't needed for most police departments. Heck the CV isn't a high performance car by any means with 0 to 60 times that don't even come close to my 4.0 V6 Mustang. What the CV did right was that it was rugged, durable, could hold all their extra stuff to include a prisoner and reasonably quick enough to keep up with a fleeing suspect in traffic. Let's face it, the vast majority of people who run from the cops aren't driving high end sports cars and therefore don't need to be chased by some police car with off the chart horsepower. You can't outrun the radio anyway. Dodge is about to put a 300 hp V6 in their Chargers. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of departments opt for the V6 powered Charger because it will suit all of their needs in that it has enough room to carry their stuff, will have reduced cost because you don't have to buy the V8 model and the fuel consumpton will be less as well. As usual, its all about the money. I like the Taurus too, but unfortunately I think the Charger is about to win out in the police interceptor competition.

Now what I would personally love to see in the way of police vehicles even though I know it won't happen. Put the cops in the new 3.7 V6 Mustang as a patrol vehicle. It's large enough to carry their extra stuff in the trunk and easily fast enough to be a viable car in a pursuit while at the same time getting good gas mileage and the cost is right with an entry level model costing about 23 / 24 K. What about prisoners you say? I give you the Ford Transit. That's right, go back to paddy wagons. Heck with most modern patrol cars the console mounted computers can do everyting from display maps to store their arrest reports and almost all of them are equipped with a data transmitter. When the officer arrests someone he simply fills out his arrest report on this computer and fires it off to the jail so that when the Transit arrives at booking the suspects arrest report is already on file and you don't have to take an officer off the street for two hours to book someone into jail. The only problem with the Mustang is that it's a console shift and that gets in the way of their computer equipment. I know, it's radical and outside of the box and I must be crazy. But it wouldn't be the first time a police deparment bought a Mustang would it?

Unfortunately what will most likely happen is that most departments are going to switch over to the Dodge Charger. The Taurus just costs more than most departments want to spend on their police cars. The police department here is switching the Chargers after running the CV exclusively since about 1992.

I've heard that the new PI's price will be positioned at or below the CVPI and that only the Ecoboost version will be more expensive. The word is that Caprice PPV is pitched about $2,000 dearer than the CVPI but GM is hoping PDs will see the value in the new GM RWD over Chargers. Not sure where that leaves Charger sales, there are stories of PDs switching to it and then going back to CVPI, not sure what to make of it at all..

Does anyone know what happened to Carbon Motors, are they still bringing a car to market?

Edited by jpd80

Unfortunately what will most likely happen is that most departments are going to switch over to the Dodge Charger. The Taurus just costs more than most departments want to spend on their police cars. The police department here is switching the Chargers after running the CV exclusively since about 1992. I know, there's going to be maintenance issues with the Charger, but you're dealing with beauracrats at municipalities now, not people who actually understand cars. The Charger wins out because of the age old saying "all of your equipment comes from the lowest bidder." And frankly a 365 hp police car isn't needed for most police departments. Heck the CV isn't a high performance car by any means with 0 to 60 times that don't even come close to my 4.0 V6 Mustang. What the CV did right was that it was rugged, durable, could hold all their extra stuff to include a prisoner and reasonably quick enough to keep up with a fleeing suspect in traffic. Let's face it, the vast majority of people who run from the cops aren't driving high end sports cars and therefore don't need to be chased by some police car with off the chart horsepower. You can't outrun the radio anyway. Dodge is about to put a 300 hp V6 in their Chargers. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of departments opt for the V6 powered Charger because it will suit all of their needs in that it has enough room to carry their stuff, will have reduced cost because you don't have to buy the V8 model and the fuel consumpton will be less as well. As usual, its all about the money. I like the Taurus too, but unfortunately I think the Charger is about to win out in the police interceptor competition.

Now what I would personally love to see in the way of police vehicles even though I know it won't happen. Put the cops in the new 3.7 V6 Mustang as a patrol vehicle. It's large enough to carry their extra stuff in the trunk and easily fast enough to be a viable car in a pursuit while at the same time getting good gas mileage and the cost is right with an entry level model costing about 23 / 24 K. What about prisoners you say? I give you the Ford Transit. That's right, go back to paddy wagons. Heck with most modern patrol cars the console mounted computers can do everyting from display maps to store their arrest reports and almost all of them are equipped with a data transmitter. When the officer arrests someone he simply fills out his arrest report on this computer and fires it off to the jail so that when the Transit arrives at booking the suspects arrest report is already on file and you don't have to take an officer off the street for two hours to book someone into jail. The only problem with the Mustang is that it's a console shift and that gets in the way of their computer equipment. I know, it's radical and outside of the box and I must be crazy. But it wouldn't be the first time a police deparment bought a Mustang would it?

Isn't the base 3.5L V6 Interceptor going to be priced about the same as the V6 Charger? Not every Ford Interceptor is going to come with the EB 3.5 and AWD.

I doubt you'll ever see the Mustang gain any widespread acceptance either. It is simply not versatile enough. Departments aren't going to want to "double dip" for vehicle purchases in order to have something that can pursue people and then something different to transport them when one vehicle like the Interceptor or Charger or Caprice is perfectly capable of filling both roles already. As for the shifter issue, eh, it can always be moved -- they did it in the Interceptor.

I've heard that the new PI's price will be positioned at or below the CVPI and that only the Ecoboost version will be more expensive. The word is that Caprice PPV is pitched about $2,000 dearer than the CVPI but GM is hoping PDs will see the value in the new GM RWD over Chargers. Not sure where that leaves Charger sales, there are stories of PDs switching to it and then going back to CVPI, not sure what to make of it at all..

Does anyone know what happened to Carbon Motors, are they still bringing a car to market?

As far as I know the entry level Taurus and entry level Charger will be priced the same, although the Charger will have more hp. As for the Caprice, the last I heard the problem with it was the console shift instead of column shift. And as for Carbon Motors, I think they are still around but they want a lot of money for the things.

I doubt you'll ever see the Mustang gain any widespread acceptance either. It is simply not versatile enough. Departments aren't going to want to "double dip" for vehicle purchases in order to have something that can pursue people and then something different to transport them when one vehicle like the Interceptor or Charger or Caprice is perfectly capable of filling both roles already. As for the shifter issue, eh, it can always be moved -- they did it in the Interceptor.

I doubt we will ever see it either, but not because it's not versatile enough. The Mustang is plenty versatile enough for patrol duty. And as for double dipping, it's not like you have to buy one transit (paddy wagon) for every patrol car you buy, Far from it. Probably more like 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 and it's not like an empty Transit is expensive to buy. As far as I know Philidelphia has been using transport vehicles for a long time instead of carrying prisoners in patrol cars. The idea behind transport vehicles is a good one and if you ask any Officer in a reasonably large department you'll understand why. Everytime an Officer arrests someone and takes them down to the jail they spend an average of 1 to 3 hours waiting to get their prisoner booked in. That's 1 to 3 hours that the Officer is not available on the street to take calls. It's a huge waste of manpower.

Now if you really want me to get scary radical about what would be a good patrol car, here goes. The Subaru Outback. That's right the Outback. It has more than enough cargo room to carry all of their equipment and with the turbo engine it's fast enough to be used in a pursuit. It's AWD with a rugged suspension which makes it ideal for bad weather with snow and ice on the roads or whenever you have to hop a curb. The back seat can easily be sectioned off both in front and behind to carry a prisoner and it gets reasonably good gas mileage. But I'd still rather see the Mustang. lol

Edited by BlackHorse

I doubt we will ever see it either, but not because it's not versatile enough. The Mustang is plenty versatile enough for patrol duty. And as for double dipping, it's not like you have to buy one transit (paddy wagon) for every patrol car you buy, Far from it. Probably more like 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 and it's not like an empty Transit is expensive to buy. As far as I know Philidelphia has been using transport vehicles for a long time instead of carrying prisoners in patrol cars.

But your argument for it being a time-saver isn't really a starter. The arresting officer would have to waste just about as much time waiting with their prisoner for the paddy wagon to show up to take them off their hands. Plus the Mustang has a smaller trunk, limiting its ability to carry all the required patrol gear. Sure, I suppose you could remove the rear seat and use that area for storage, but that's yet more money spent for customization compared to the other choices. It's not like the V6 Mustang is a bargain-priced vehicle anymore either. Lastly, I doubt any officer over age 30 would want to spend most of their shift sitting in and getting in and out of the narrow seats in a relatively cramped, low to the ground coupe.

Now if you really want me to get scary radical about what would be a good patrol car, here goes. The Subaru Outback. That's right the Outback. It has more than enough cargo room to carry all of their equipment and with the turbo engine it's fast enough to be used in a pursuit. It's AWD with a rugged suspension which makes it ideal for bad weather with snow and ice on the roads or whenever you have to hop a curb. The back seat can easily be sectioned off both in front and behind to carry a prisoner and it gets reasonably good gas mileage. But I'd still rather see the Mustang. lol

I believe a few states in the northeast use a few of those. I'm not really sure how "rugged" the suspensions really are though compared to any other CUV. It's not like they are all built to rally spec. :)

Edited by NickF1011