Ford's Superbowl presence

Just reading on DetNews.com today that Ford will skip the game this year but have 3 spots during the pregam show -- two featuring the new Focus and one for the F-150.

I'm kinda disappointed by this, yes I realize that Ford has been leading when it comes to social media and alternative marketing but I was hoping they'd come out big this year with a cool/funny/entertaining spot that would leave people talking. I feel like they could've done that with a Fiesta spot or something.

Meanwhile GM's going all out with 5 spots and Chrysler has Eminem in one of their commercials Any thoughts??

Detroit News: 9 Automakers will vie for Superbowl attention

yes, yes, YES, HECK YES

Skipping the SB was brilliant, I tell you, BRILLIANT.

People talk about the ADs, they never talk about the PRODUCT.

Remember the commercial that had a guy working with a bunch of monkeys? Great ad. Remember what company it was for? Of course you don't. That's the problem with SB ads.

Heck, you wanna know the answer to your question:

Which Detroit mfrs. went through a government financed bankruptcy?

Which Detroit mfr. didn't?

Which Detroit mfrs. are advertising during the SB?

Which Detroit mfr. isn't?

Exactly.

GM & Chrysler are fiscally irresponsible. That's why they needed the government to GIVE them money in order to survive. Skipping the SB is a sign of financial responsibility.

Edited by RichardJensen

I gotta agree with the choice, Ford's got high recognition and high favorables already. A SB spot is a whole bunch of money that could be better spent elsewhere, especially with the associated risk of a bad commercial being completely ineffective or even hurting their image.

On the other hand, however, I think a SB spot might be risk worth taking with Lincoln. Not this year, but when they re-launch the hot new MKZ it could be a good way to get people re-acquainted with the brand. Maybe.

While, as a FMC fan I want to see a commercial on there like the Steve Mcqueen, or the Military one from a few years back (was that superbowl?), I think I have to agree with the idea that the money is better spent elsewhere. The right commercial will definitely get people talking about Ford, however the amount of money it costs to get on there is out of hand. So while I do think that it gets you more recognition than a regular TV spot, I don't think that the cost per viewer would be the same as playing the same spot 20, 30, 100 times (what's the cost of a normal spot compared to a SB spot?) on regular programming. Now, I just pulled this whole post out of my ass with no numbers or evidence to support it, but it's just a gut feeling I have on it.

I think they should have done a tear jerking commercial (like the military one) , but in two parts. While everybody is anticipating the funny ads nail them with a serious ad early first quarter. Then say to be continued..... and play the second part around the end of the 3rd quarter. The serious ad would be remembered early on and you leave them waiting for the second part. Hopefully at the same time reinforcing Ford's new "great" image :shrug: .

I wonder if those logos will all get covered NCAA tournament style....

I doubt it. Ford is pretty proud of their affiliation with the Cowboys. The big blue oval should be pretty prominent in the West end zone.

4265831543_4b779d70e7.jpg

Which is probably why GM is doing so many commercials.

Edited by NLPRacing

The NCAA mandates that all non-approved advertising be covered, and the advertisers have no say in the matter. Ford ads were covered up at Ford Field during the NCAAs.

I was watching some highlights of Super Bowl XXXVII and there was a huge Ford logo next to a screen in the end zone at the San Diego Stadium. I'm not sure if it was there all season or not. Either way, Ford and Cowboys Stadium are pretty synonymous around here. There is Ford signage everywhere. If Ford was smart, I'm sure they made Super Bowl exposure part of their deal. Did Ford signage get covered up at Ford Field when they hosted the Super Bowl?

I was watching some highlights of Super Bowl XXXVII and there was a huge Ford logo next to a screen in the end zone at the San Diego Stadium. I'm not sure if it was there all season or not. Either way, Ford and Cowboys Stadium are pretty synonymous around here. There is Ford signage everywhere. If Ford was smart, I'm sure they made Super Bowl exposure part of their deal. Did Ford signage get covered up at Ford Field when they hosted the Super Bowl?

I believe this pic is from from Super Bowl XL. The Ford logo is visible.

98958145_eb201d7cc1.jpg

Edited by TomServo92

I gotta agree with the choice, Ford's got high recognition and high favorables already. A SB spot is a whole bunch of money that could be better spent elsewhere, especially with the associated risk of a bad commercial being completely ineffective or even hurting their image.

On the other hand, however, I think a SB spot might be risk worth taking with Lincoln. Not this year, but when they re-launch the hot new MKZ it could be a good way to get people re-acquainted with the brand. Maybe.

Does anyone remember the Ford GT commercial Ford did during the Super Bowl a number of years ago when Ford was celebrating its 100th Anniversary? A 2012 Focus spot would have been nice at this year's Super Bowl. And maybe an awesome Mustang commercial with warmer weather not that far away now. I believe Ford did some nice Mustang spots in past years probably back in 2004 when 2005 Mustang was introduced.

Ford will be all over the pre-game shows at a fraction of the price for 60 second spots during the game.

With a fraction of the audience also.

With the price of the ads I guess I don't blame Ford for taking a pass. I certainly wouldn't think it would be wise to spend the money on a Fusion, Taurus or Flex commercial but I like the idea of showing off the all new Focus or Explorer. Why not take a shot at the Corrolla, Civic and Cruze by showing off the MFT and other features available in the titanium trim Focus? Why not have a commercial about the eco boost engine in the F150 or Explorer?

I get CTV and the FOX feed. No commercials except the Hyundai Elantra plugging 49 MPG (Best Non-Hybrid FE in Class).

The Focus Rally at the beginning was not well branded as Ford....GM ads seem ho hum ho hum...the Chrysler ad, was too long but had good messaging I think.