Next-Gen Mustang to Have Global Design Input

See thats the problem your assuming that I want nothing but a V8...but your wrong...the Mustang needs an "inexpesive" V8 option on it. I really don't care if, no I take that back...I'd welcome a Turbo I4 or an Ecoboost V6 in the car as long as its not called a GT. But at the same time, how many engines does the Mustang really need? Is it practical to have an EB I4 as the base, a 3.7L V6 as a step up, have both the EB 3.5L and 5L V8 as the mid to high range models and then have a stump pulling Twin Turbo/Supercharged 5L V8 as the ulitmate engine?

The way I see the Mustang "Formula" is this: slightly smaller then a mid-sized car, long hood/short deck, fastback style C pillar, C scoop styling on the sides, 3 element taillights and finally a reasonably priced V8 for those who want it.

'83-'84 Mustang GT had a tubro 4.

Yes, all these terrible things are going to happen, both the apocalypse and rapture will follow

all because Ford is getting tired of appeasing the hero drag car fan who refuses to buy new.

re: The Rapture;

Nope ... that begins when FoMoCo finally announces the GRwdP (which has nothing to do with the Mustang anymore imho)

Frank Marcus, from Motor Trend, suggested the same thing on a recent "Autoline AfterHours." According to his sources, Ford has seen the light regarding RWD and is pursuing a RWD Lincoln. I imagine this will involve the Mustang, and perhaps, Falcon too.

Hopefully the three are combined into a single program and the end result is a 3-Series size chassis.

tho I'm not an engineer, I find it very hard to believe that the Mustang+Falcon+Continental couldn't share a platform...

(note: my Continental would be at most Fairlane-sized,

to be a viable global 'flagship', Not a TownCar replacement)

but

separate Mustang & GRwd platforms is what I see happening (present tense)

((tho likely with related "architecture")

so

the nextgen Mustang + Lincoln coupecabrio +sportsedan

(all just slightly larger than the nextgen 3-series)

then

Falcon + Continental + maybe a Fairlane & a Tbird

is my current thinking

(the Falcon being the smallest GRwdP would be a bit "over-built" which would be fine for AU's rugged requirements)

Edited by 2b2

why does a 2+2 coupe need to be the same size as a midsized car?

moving to an IRS will free up space above the axle, making it possible to shrink the rear over hang, without losing passenger space.

this can be done well, without changing the character of the Car. It must be done.

What are your thoughts on the Genesis Coupe?

re: The Rapture;

Nope ... that begins when FoMoCo finally announces the GRwdP (which has nothing to do with the Mustang anymore imho)

tho I'm not an engineer, I find it very hard to believe that the Mustang+Falcon+Continental couldn't share a platform...

(note: my Continental would be at most Fairlane-sized,

to be a viable global 'flagship', Not a TownCar replacement)

but

separate Mustang & GRwd platforms is what I see happening (present tense)

so

the nextgen Mustang + Lincoln coupecabrio +sportsedan

then

Falcon + Continental + maybe a Fairlane & a Tbird

is my current thinking

(the Falcon being the smallest GRwdP would be a bit "over-built" which would be fine for AU's rugged requirements)

why not, if the Taurus, Flex, Edge and Explorer can, why not the Mustang, Falcon, Continental?

I bought three '05 Mustangs. I ordered two, and bought the third off the floor. The order process is so painful that I will never do that again. I know that I was not alone in that process. There are still posts on this site that date to the problems with the allocation process all the way back to '05. I have checked several times for a Mustang equipped the way I wanted, in the Phoenix market, and I have never found the car would be interested in buying. There just isn't much to chose from out there.

I've had the exact opposite experience when ordering cars. For my Mustang, I went through the AAA Fleet Order program. They made an appointment for me for the closest fleet salesman. I went to Kelly Blue Book to get all of the codes for all the options and colors that I wanted (made a printout with that info and all my personal info). Walked into the fleet office, sat down and said, "This is the car that I want" and handed him the printout. He said "Oh. You did your homework.". I was in and out in 10 minutes. 10 weeks later he called and said that my car was ready to go. All four cars I've owned since 1965 have been ordered. We've never bought a car off the lot.

I agree. I don't like the Genesis Coupe, but the size (height, overhang, width, length) is about right for a modern sportscar.

good stuff, and with use of Boron steel and the new nano tech, i hope we vcan expect further weight reductions......just hope the crown jewel doesnt price itself out of the market.....

Ford needs to develop its own version of GM's upcoming Alpha platform (ATS, CTS, Camaro). The platform could be used a for a new Mustang and a small and mid sized Lincoln sedan. But it looks like Ford will keep the Mustang on its current platform and continue with FWD sedans for Lincoln.

Ford needs to develop its own version of GM's upcoming Alpha platform (ATS, CTS, Camaro). The platform could be used a for a new Mustang and a small and mid sized Lincoln sedan. But it looks like Ford will keep the Mustang on its current platform and continue with FWD sedans for Lincoln.

Did you miss this?

Just a quick update, ladies and gentlemen. Couple of notes from recent conversations.

RHD global Mustang is forthcoming.

Range of globally-sold RWD vehicles of various body-styles, door counts, and price points also forthcoming.

This includes Australia.

Stay tuned...

...I find it very hard to believe that the Mustang+Falcon+Continental couldn't share a platform...

why not, if the Taurus, Flex**, Edge and Explorer can, why not the Mustang, Falcon, Continental?

hey, it's not my idea (as I said^ )

but it sure seems like that's what Ford believes from what I've read online

so

I'm just hoping that Mustang (plus a couple 3-series-sized Lincolns)

AND a group of GRwdP cars can both happen

** btw, I've yet to see anything proving that the Flex-or-MKT will be part of the Mondeo/Fusion/Taurus merger

Edited by 2b2

I agree. I don't like the Genesis Coupe, but the size (height, overhang, width, length) is about right for a modern sportscar.

The Genesis is roughly the same size as the current Mustang. It's the same width 73", longer wheelbase 111" vs 107" for the Mustang. The overhangs are slightly less. Overall length for the Genesis is 182", Mustang is 188".

So, does anyone want a smaller Mustang or just some more slippery skin to make it appear smaller?

Edited by Blue II

The Genesis is roughly the same size as the current Mustang. It's the same width 73", longer wheelbase 111" vs 107" for the Mustang. The overhangs are slightly less. Overall length for the Genesis is 182", Mustang is 188".

So, does anyone want a smaller Mustang or just some more slippery skin to make it appear smaller?

The Mustang isn't big, and shouldn't get too much smaller. I'm all for some more efficient packaging (which would improve with IRS), but dimensionally it shouldn't change too much.

funny, sure LOOKS a lot smaller, probably courtesy of the longer Wheel base and smaller overhangs.....but I would be happier with a 6 inch reduction ( insert John Holmes jokes here )...in the Mustang....

Be prepared to see a lot of new mustangs at the strip hacked up and a v-8 jammed in then.

Leave out the v-8, you'll still sell millions to 16yo girls.

Ford shouldn't be building Mustangs for the 1 or 2% of owners that drag race them. They should be building for the other 98% that use them as daily drivers.

I'd rather they sell the car to millions of 16 year old girls than a few thousand drag racers. Most of whom don't buy a new car anyway.

The last Mustang I drove was a 2007 Shelby GT-H convertible... and I never got out of the car thinking to myself, "I wish it was a little smaller". I'm thinking the latter would be nice.

** btw, I've yet to see anything proving that the Flex-or-MKT will be part of the Mondeo/Fusion/Taurus merger

Have you seen anything proving that the Explorer will, or for that matter, the Taurus?

why not, if the Taurus, Flex, Edge and Explorer can,

The Edge does not share a platform with the other three.

The point your missing is that currently the car really doesn't have that much room for 2 people in back of the car already and hacking off a couple inches off the legth of the car isn't going to save much if any weight from the platform. What it seems like is people just want to make the car smaller just to make it smaller because they perceve it as a bigger car, when it boils down to styling that can be changed. The only way the Mustang will get smaller is if it gets another platform, which isn't going to happen.

the move to an IRS will create more interior room, the rear passenger can sit further back, without the live-axle hump in the way.

Just don't be suprised when you don't recognise the car in 5 years and then it's just a name.

But hey! It's selling like hotcakes and ford is making a profit so it doesn't matter right? Course now it's a 3cyl turbo based on the fiesta chassis....but 16yo girls are buying millions so what's the problem right?

Bang! Spot on. You said it.

F..k Euro-trash, screw Asia, they dont get to say shit about an American icon like the Mustang. Ok Hau Thai-Tang copied the 1967 Mustang good job, not original but that was expected.

Mulally is a great businessman but he isnt a car enthusiast...hell even Farley knows better than to outsource Mustang design and he came from Toyota...who would kill to have an iconic car that spans generations.

Mustang will be the only Ford car with a V8 and the only Ford rear wheel drive car. It is Ford's only convertable, and it is Ford's true high performance car...not a "sporty" version of some family sedan (SHO) or economy subcompact etc.

Why is the current Mustang not selling? Ford over priced it plain and simple. And its greed not because the car cost that much to build. $23k for a stripped base model climbing to a top of over $55k! There is no way a base GT should cost $30k that is not what made Mustang so popular with previous generations of Mustang buyers. Too bad a car so clearly designed for America's youth is priced out of their reach.

The company that Henry built should have at least one car that is clearly an American Ford...and the Mustang is just about the only thing left.

Sorry, but the days of the cheap tin bucket with the big, cheap iron-block V-8 are over. That was then, this is now. Ford doesn't do 3-speed automatics, anymore. :)

Agreed. It's over guys. It was fun, but it's over. Don't worry, Ford is not going to screw up the Mustang. It will still be sporty and actually perform better than what we have now. But it will change. I know that change is hard to accept sometimes, but it still happens.