CR F150 Beats V8 on Towing, Not Efficiency

truth be told the 5.0 is a real sleeper...superb engine, and something a few customers are more comfortable with. That eco engine though, if you can get over the "complexity" hurdles truley is something else....and from what I have heard from actual owners...mileage is pretty damn good for a pickup as well....

truth be told the 5.0 is a real sleeper...superb engine, and something a few customers are more comfortable with. That eco engine though, if you can get over the "complexity" hurdles truley is something else....and from what I have heard from actual owners...mileage is pretty damn good for a pickup as well....

My Dad got the 5.0 in his new SuperCrew 4x4 6.5' and I love the engine. He has been very happy with it's fuel economy and performance. It also sounds awesome when you romp on it! :D There is just something about a Ford with a V8.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Got the FX4 Ecoboost and pull a fifth wheel ultra light. The engine has no problem getting around 17-18 MPG on the highway and its not even broken in yet. While I like the 5.0, I wanted to give new tech a try and see if its worth the hype. It is, and personally, I see no reason to go back to a V8 (ask me that when I start paying for maintenance).

They need to be testing the EB against the 6.2, not the 5.0. It is a replacement for the 6.2 in terms of torque and tow ratings - down on HP, but given the superior tq curve of the EB3.5 it might be faster than the 6.2 as well as way more efficient. Has anyone compared the two directly yet?

They need to be testing the EB against the 6.2, not the 5.0. It is a replacement for the 6.2 in terms of torque and tow ratings - down on HP, but given the superior tq curve of the EB3.5 it might be faster than the 6.2 as well as way more efficient. Has anyone compared the two directly yet?

Well some say that the EcoBoost was actually a replacement for the 5.4 and the 5.0 was actually a replacement for the 4.6. Either way both the 5.0 and EcoBoost outperform the 5.4 so I think you could say both engines replaced it depending on how much one wants to spend and if they prefer a new tech turbo V6 or the good old V8.

Well some say that the EcoBoost was actually a replacement for the 5.4 and the 5.0 was actually a replacement for the 4.6. Either way both the 5.0 and EcoBoost outperform the 5.4 so I think you could say both engines replaced it depending on how much one wants to spend and if they prefer a new tech turbo V6 or the good old V8.

5.0 replaces the 5.4 and the 3.7 replaces the 4.6.

The 5.0 will be more competitive when it gets direct injection; it's detuned a bit from the Mustang so it can tow on 87 octane. Still, the EB will do much better towing at high altitude. If I was in the market for an F-150 land barge, I'd buy the EB.

• Like 1

EB V6 kills the 6.2 on fuel economy and has just a tad more low down torque.

That's why Ford isn't seeing that many F150 6.2 sales but the 5.0 is a winner.

Good work Ford, two large groups of buyers wanting different F150 engine packages.

Edited by jpd80

Seems the EB doesn't do that great on fuel economy when towing (obviously it has to dump fuel and keep the boost up), wonder how the 6.2 compares to the EB when towing near the max payload in fuel economy? I'd almost venture to say that EB would have better acceleration numbers than the 6.2, but very curious on the fuel economy numbers... Has pickuptrucks.com had a comparison of all the new F150 engines yet??

We also have to consider the fact that the 6.2 is SOHC 2v... I wonder if DOHC 4v would improve efficiency ?

I also wonder where a 5.7/5.8 is with the tall deck modular block with a 5.0 bore and all the tech of the 5.0... seems that would make a great top of the line engine for the F150.. Though I don't know if it would be robust enough for the superduties, which is probably why the 6.2 is thrown in the f150.. to share development costs...

Seems the EB doesn't do that great on fuel economy when towing (obviously it has to dump fuel and keep the boost up), wonder how the 6.2 compares to the EB when towing near the max payload in fuel economy? I'd almost venture to say that EB would have better acceleration numbers than the 6.2, but very curious on the fuel economy numbers... Has pickuptrucks.com had a comparison of all the new F150 engines yet??

Don't forget the Ecoboost still gave better fuel economy than the 5.0 V8 and towed the load much easier, both vehicles

giving closer to their city mpg figures during the test, so I doubt that the 6.2 Ford or GM would get anywhere near that

economy. The best a 6.2 F150 gets is 16 mpg highway so no doubt it would drink closer to 12 mpg in that test

Ford F150 Eco Boost Bitch Slaps Dodge, Chevrolet

Edited by jpd80

We also have to consider the fact that the 6.2 is SOHC 2v... I wonder if DOHC 4v would improve efficiency ?

Problem with 6.2 is Bore size, to get shorter flame front two spark plugs are needed.

The 6.2 2V valves flow like sewer pipes, a four valve head improves breathing at the

top end but also allows independent VVT which is important with emissions and low

speed torque.

I also wonder where a 5.7/5.8 is with the tall deck modular block with a 5.0 bore and all the tech of the 5.0... seems that would make a great top of the line engine for the F150.. Though I don't know if it would be robust enough for the superduties, which is probably why the 6.2 is thrown in the f150.. to share development costs...

I have heard that internally, there was a competition between the Mod motor supporters and those favoring and the Hurricane engine program

and apparently, a smaller 5.8 Boss and a hi deck 5.9 Coyote really didn't live up to expectations in internal testing

So the 5.0 and 6.2 engines sound like they are the optimum configurations in their respective engine families....

Edited by jpd80

...That's why Ford isn't seeing that many F150 6.2 sales...

Um, respectfully disagree on that one. 6.2 sales are limited by the fact that the engine isn't available on any but the upper-most trim levels. I can seriously name 10 friends who've wanted to order an F-150 with the 6.2 but can't or won't because they can't/won't pay the price of entry for an upper-trim F-150.

• Like 2

Um, respectfully disagree on that one. 6.2 sales are limited by the fact that the engine isn't available on any but the upper-most trim levels. I can seriously name 10 friends who've wanted to order an F-150 with the 6.2 but can't or won't because they can't/won't pay the price of entry for an upper-trim F-150.

Lets also mention the fact that reason this is that it doesn't affect Ford's truck CAFE ratings as much either.

I thought most people already knew the 5.0L typically gets better millage while towing than the Ecoboost....

The Ecoboost is for better economy when not towing. It it for the typical suburb dewller that only ocassionaly tows or hauls anything. If you tow/haul a lot, the 5.0L is probably a better choice. If you exceed the capacity of the 5.0L you really should get a F250 or F350 IHMO....

I thought most people already knew the 5.0L typically gets better millage while towing than the Ecoboost....

The Ecoboost is for better economy when not towing. It it for the typical suburb dewller that only ocassionaly tows or hauls anything. If you tow/haul a lot, the 5.0L is probably a better choice. If you exceed the capacity of the 5.0L you really should get a F250 or F350 IHMO....

the 5.0 does NOT get better mileage when towing, in this test they are basically the same, from customers word of mouth the eco trumps the 5.0 by an average of 2-3 mpgs...add some elevation and get back to me......that said, the 5.0 is a true sleeper....

the 5.0 does NOT get better mileage when towing, in this test they are basically the same, from customers word of mouth the eco trumps the 5.0 by an average of 2-3 mpgs...add some elevation and get back to me......that said, the 5.0 is a true sleeper....

I have several friends and customers that have bought both and that is not what they are seeing. What they are seeing is that the 5.0L is getting better gas millage than the Eco when towing in the 4000 - 5000lb range. One friend has a 5.0L and his dad ( who drives less aggressive ) has the Ecoboost. They both occasionally tow the same (approx 5000lb) boat. The 5.0L has always got better mileage than the Eco when towing that boat....

All seem to agree that the Eco gets better mileage when not towing....

I guess results vary....