Popular Mechanics Explorer Review: fail

I read through the comparison Popular Mechanics did on crossovers and will say I am very, very disappointed with AWD system in the new Explorer. Based on their article this new vehicle isn't worthy of the Explorer name; perhaps Urbaner or something, it definitely should not be out exploring. I was looking to replace my wives' car with an SUV and will go with either than a previous generation Explorer, Jeep or perhaps a Pilot. The decision that neutered the off-road capabilities of the "Explorer" and brought it's clutch based "AWD" system will go down next to the live axle for the 2005 Mustang as a nickel smart ten cents stupid decision. You've basically regulated the Explorer to the Kia, Traverse status and handed the segment to the Durango. I know this seems harsh but I've seen clutch based AWD systems at work and it isn't pretty, it doesn't really take all that long in the slippery stuff and the vehicle will become an immovable object.

I will say hat's off to Popular Mechanics for actually testing the off-road capability of these new cross-overs, I am not surprised the kia and Chevy AWD systems failed in the sand, but the Explorers? I hope someone gets shown the door for that one, how difficult would it have been to put a center differential vs a clutch pack?

Yes great mpg's deserve acclaim, though without a doubt other manufacturers will follow suit within a few years, however putting a competent AWD system that won't shutdown in an extended limited traction situation will be a considerable undertaking.

Edited by meyeste
  • Like 2

Meh... the Explorer has always been a soccer mom-mobile. Ford just acknowledged it by switching to a FWD unibody platform.

You do realize that the VTM-4 "4WD" (AWD) system on the Pilot/Ridgeline is basically the same as the 2011 Explorer, right? FWD with the ability to send 70% of torque to the rear wheels via electromagnetic clutch packs in the rear differential.

Edited by GTwannabe
  • Like 1

Meh... the Explorer has always been a soccer mom-mobile. Ford just acknowledged it by switching to a FWD unibody platform.

IMHO, where they really screwed up was by not putting the new Explorer on a SERIOUS diet ! By Ford's own admission (via a YouTube video) the new Explorer is only 100 lbs lighter !

Ford management (who sets design goals and is responsible for them being met) must fallen asleep when the price of gas dropped a few years ago.

I read through the comparison Popular Mechanics did on crossovers and will say I am very, very disappointed with AWD system in the new Explorer. Based on their article this new vehicle isn't worthy of the Explorer name; perhaps Urbaner or something

You need a Jeep. Get one with the iron-block Hemi, and knock yourself out.

The Explorer is an urban vehicle, and seems to fill its intended market niche, judging from the sales to date. :)

IMHO, where they really screwed up was by not putting the new Explorer on a SERIOUS diet ! By Ford's own admission (via a YouTube video) the new Explorer is only 100 lbs lighter !

Ford management (who sets design goals and is responsible for them being met) must fallen asleep when the price of gas dropped a few years ago.

You're entitled to your benighted opinion. :finger:

You are aware, of course, that the Explorer has to be the size it is (otherwise, buy an Escape), and you are also aware that it has to meet safety impact regs and NVH benchmarks? Of course, you are also aware that the Explorer has to be price-competitive?

All of that means it weighs what it weighs. Ford could take 500 pounds out of it, but they would have to use expensive materials — and then you'd be bitching about the cost.

Popular Mechanics said they tested the Explorer LTD OFF-ROAD, but Ford does not recommend the Explorer LTD 20" rims OFF-ROAD for a reason. They should of compared the 4WD Explorer XLT with 18" wheels and tires which is designed for OFF-ROAD use.

kinda de-bunks Popular Mechanics a tad doesnt it...i do wonder if ( because they were in sand ) they deflated the tires ( and its quite a bit if i remember rightly, 15lbs rings a bell )

Autoblog;

The Explorer's optional all-wheel-drive system is similar to, but significantly upgraded from what lurks under a Taurus with all-wheel drive. An independent cooling circuit was added to the Power Take Off (PTO), the component that sends power to the rear axle (see above, right). In off-road conditions, the Explorer's PTO must be able to transmit lots of torque rearward for extended periods of time. The heat generated by this could easily damage the unit, so the integrated cooler keeps the PTO working in a safe temperature window during heavy-duty use.

As we were blasting through the desert on tires deflated to 15 psi, Ford's Ufford would repeatedly ask one of his engineers riding in the second row to monitor the PTO's temp, as well as the condition of the rear axle's clutch assembly. Located just ahead of the rear differential, the clutch manages the torque split to the rear axle. While the rear differential is an open unit, individual brake application makes the entire assembly work as if the unit is a limited-slip differential.

Even after a particularly rough run through deep sand, the Explorer's PTO temperatures remained comfortably within a safe zone, attesting to the functionality of the new cooling unit. This is quite a feat given the frying pan temperatures and the power-sapping characteristics of the UAE's desert sand.

Edited by LoveTaurus

I read through the comparison Popular Mechanics did on crossovers and will say I am very, very disappointed with AWD system in the new Explorer. Based on their article this new vehicle isn't worthy of the Explorer name; perhaps Urbaner or something, it definitely should not be out exploring. I was looking to replace my wives' car with an SUV and will go with either than a previous generation Explorer, Jeep or perhaps a Pilot. The decision that neutered the off-road capabilities of the "Explorer" and brought it's clutch based "AWD" system will go down next to the live axle for the 2005 Mustang as a nickel smart ten cents stupid decision. You've basically regulated the Explorer to the Kia, Traverse status and handed the segment to the Durango. I know this seems harsh but I've seen clutch based AWD systems at work and it isn't pretty, it doesn't really take all that long in the slippery stuff and the vehicle will become an immovable object.

I will say hat's off to Popular Mechanics for actually testing the off-road capability of these new cross-overs, I am not surprised the kia and Chevy AWD systems failed in the sand, but the Explorers? I hope someone gets shown the door for that one, how difficult would it have been to put a center differential vs a clutch pack?

Yes great mpg's deserve acclaim, though without a doubt other manufacturers will follow suit within a few years, however putting a competent AWD system that won't shutdown in an extended limited traction situation will be a considerable undertaking.

Then buy a Durango or Grand Cherokee if you need to get through sand dunes. It's your money, buy what works for you.

Would Ford have been able to upgrade the BOF Explorer with new V6 and Ecoboost?

Probably so but judging by their research, going off road is no longer a high priority with Explorer buyers,

that's why they changed it to unitary and FWD/AWD, the strong need for a truck based BOF and 4WD is not there..

Durango sells at about half the rate for new Explorer, I'd say that Ford chose the right path.

Perhaps you should actually go try the new Explorer before dismissing it and unless your wife

is into serious off roading or rock climbing you'll find the Explorer is adequate for most duties.

Edited by jpd80

Heck, you can't rock climb in a Durango.

And in any event, I question the methodology here---If it were a true test of off-roading chops no way the Pilot should've completed the course if 5 other vehicles failed.

Not that there was a course. This was just idiots in a sandbox.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Bingo, thread closed.

So the question is...who is the Explorer's intended customer base? People who want a vehicle that looks like it is capable off road...but isnt. A minivan posing as an SUV. Ok, I get it kind of like the Mustang II looked like a sporty / performance car but wasnt.

The simplest description is the Explorer is no longer an SUV it is now a very big crossover and that's ok if Ford markets it as an all-weather FWD / AWD road car and nothing more.

• Like 1

So the question is...who is the Explorer's intended customer base? People who want a vehicle that looks like it is capable off road...but isnt. A minivan posing as an SUV. Ok, I get it kind of like the Mustang II looked like a sporty / performance car but wasnt.

The simplest description is the Explorer is no longer an SUV it is now a very big crossover and that's ok if Ford markets it as an all-weather FWD / AWD road car and nothing more.

You can bitch and moan all you want about it not being what you think it should be but it's a sales success so there is an intended customer base.

Edited by TomServo92
  • Like 1