2013 Ford Escape Uncovered

First of all, this is quite old...but I never saw it posted here or anywhere else. That's odd because it has the most import spy photos of the Escape yet and reveals nearly every detail about the design. Most interesting to me is the shape of the rear tail-light which mirrors the Focus & Explorer.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/latest-2013-ford-escape-spy-photos-confirm-ecoboost-power-vertrek-inspired-design/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+caranddriver%2Fblog+%28Car+and+Driver%29

2013-ford-escape-spy-photo-205.jpg

2013-ford-escape-spy-photo-207.jpg

2013-ford-escape-spy-photo-204.jpg

2013-Ford-Escape-spy-photo-206-626x382.jpg

2013-ford-escape-spy-photo-201.jpg

Looks like they took a 2012 Focus and stretched it out over a Escape hardpoints.

Also the C pillar doesn't look as "sloopy" as other CUVs on the market..the windows do, but the actual pillar isn't. That might make Explorer2005 happy :P

I also see alot of Explorer influences too...the camshell hood and tail lights esp...

Edited by silvrsvt

First of all, this is quite old...but I never saw it posted here or anywhere else. That's odd because it has the most import spy photos of the Escape yet and reveals nearly every detail about the design. Most interesting to me is the shape of the rear tail-light which mirrors the Focus & Explorer.

2013-ford-escape-spy-photo-204.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I recall seeing them at the time, thought I commented on these new pics then somewhere and I was surprised no one ran with these pics! (even C&D didnt pick up on these new details)

Notice the "new" profile is very similar to the current Kuga...the new taillight shape proves its not a mule, its the real thing...

ford-kuga-05.jpg

Essentially, the new Escape is an updated Kuga...the existing greenhouse is carried over. I hadn't realized that, I just assumed the design was very similar.

Another detail that surprises me is that they retained the fender vent from the Kuga.

I like it very much, I think it's a guaranteed hit for Ford in this country.

Edited by BORG

Essentially, the new Escape is an updated Kuga...the existing greenhouse is carried over. I hadn't realized that, I just assumed the design was very similar.

Another detail that surprises me is that they retained the fender vent from the Kuga.

I like it very much, I think it's a guaranteed hit for Ford in this country.

I hope the greenhouse just looks the same, and the new Kuga/Escape is instead actually all-new sheetmetal. If the spy shot interiors are correct, it will share the dash from the new C-Max too. The current Kuga is still handsome and sharp looking, so no need to drastically change it!

I hope the greenhouse just looks the same, and the new Kuga/Escape is instead actually all-new sheetmetal. If the spy shot interiors are correct, it will share the dash from the new C-Max too. The current Kuga is still handsome and sharp looking, so no need to drastically change it!

This prototype is the final production design, and it does indeed have the identical greenhouse...the sheet metal below it is otherwise all new. I guess you could call this type of update a re-skin, which is a little disappointing because it's an older chassis (but not nearly as old as the current Escape).

The fender vent is an important element in the design of the side, you can see that it's the point where the belt-line creases start. I'm going to assume it stays...which is fine...not a big deal...It looks attractive. Regardless, I'm waiting on that Lincoln version which has a high probability of landing in my garage.

Edited by BORG

This prototype is the final production design, and it does indeed have the identical greenhouse...the sheet metal below it is otherwise all new. I guess you could call this type of update a re-skin, which is a little disappointing because it's an older chassis (but not nearly as old as the current Escape).

The fender vent is an important element in the design of the side, you can see that it's the point where the belt-line creases start. I'm going to assume it stays...which is fine...not a big deal...It looks attractive. Regardless, I'm waiting on that Lincoln version which has a high probability of landing in my garage.

I guess we'll know in about 8 weeks just how new it will be! Btw the 5th pic you posted, which shows the passenger side uncovered, shows the fender vent and also the new body contours with the door handles moved to the side charactor line. Suble but different than the current Kuga. The newest changes seem to be directed at the front...I wonder if America will get a unique front (think Edge) and Europe will get a look more inline with the rest of their lineup?

Looks like they took a 2012 Focus and stretched it out over a Escape hardpoints.

Also the C pillar doesn't look as "sloopy" as other CUVs on the market..the windows do, but the actual pillar isn't. That might make Explorer2005 happy :P

I also see alot of Explorer influences too...the camshell hood and tail lights esp...

I've seen the tail lights many times in person and they don't look anything like the Edge or Explorer - both of those have lights that have a high quality look to them. The actual tail lights look like the Nissan Rogue. No Amber Turn Signals, No LED's or Reflectors like the Edge, just a regular all red rear display, brake light over the turn-signal (also Red). Was disappointed as Ford had been moving the direction to going with Amber Rear Turn signals on new vehicles as well as LED Tail/Brake lights.

This prototype is the final production design...

And you know that how?

The back (after C pillar) looks like a tacked on shell. So the real skin underneith may still look different. But it could look exactly like current Kuga, because the shell does not look exactly the same .

It's not a Kuga mule, it's a shoddy prototype with all new sheetmetal. Look at the two together and you'll see. Besides, mules do not need camo ;).

well its thrown you off.....Im thinking the production vehicle will actually come with a front end....lol, and look more like the concepthan a Kuga re-fresh....

It's not a Kuga mule, it's a shoddy prototype with all new sheetmetal. Look at the two together and you'll see. Besides, mules do not need camo ;).

Looks like they did recycle part of the greenhouse (I guess new glass is expensive) but everything below the belt line should be new. The new Escape is supposed to be much larger than the outgoing Kuga (based on the dimension of the Vertrek concept car) so we know it is not just a simple tophat redesign.

Looks like they did recycle part of the greenhouse (I guess new glass is expensive) but everything below the belt line should be new. The new Escape is supposed to be much larger than the outgoing Kuga (based on the dimension of the Vertrek concept car) so we know it is not just a simple tophat redesign.

That's pretty much what Ford was indicating with Vertrek when they said that it was near production ready,

less of a concept and more a precursor for what was coming...

Which then makes me wonder about the Edge and what Ford plans to do with it, still a very important model but I'm wondering

how a new and enlarged Escape below it and a very popular Explorer above it will affect sales, Ford could keep marketing it as

the sporty five seat crossover that's lighter than Explorer yet roomier than Escape...

Meh, I guess Ford already has all of that in hand at the moment as all products seem to live well together so new versions of both

Escape and Edge can only make things even better.

Edited by jpd80

Its not a mere reskin. The Kuga is longer this time in wheelbase to fend off the Qashqai.

Notice the "new" profile is very similar to the current Kuga...the new taillight shape proves its not a mule, its the real thing...

ford-kuga-05.jpg

Nissan called and they are upset that Ford put groves and fender vents on the side of their Murano.:)

nissan-murano.jpg

I'd say this is probably just about what we are going to be getting as an Escape replacement if you compare the prototype to this production version. Could I drive it? I suppose. Do I think it looks wimpy and metro? Yes, but it should appeal to the typical CRV driver which is more important then appealing to current Escape owners according to most on this forum.

Flatten that roofline out a bit Explorer style and put a normal rear quarter window on it and you would have an excellent Escape replacement that would appeal to both new and old customers. It would have better visibility and more head and cargo room. Plus it wouldn't have the same copy cat profile every stinking CUV on the market has these days.

• Like 1

Looking at it very closely it does seem to me the rear quarter glass is a big longer then the existing Kuga, so (hopefully) they didn't just do a refresh of the existing Kuga.

Looking at it very closely it does seem to me the rear quarter glass is a big longer then the existing Kuga, so (hopefully) they didn't just do a refresh of the existing Kuga.

Maybe I am blind, but the existing Kuga looks exactly like this prototype except the roofline does appear raised a bit in the back of the prototype which I would like. Camouflage? Not sure.

It is possible that they just bolted on Kuga sheet metal to fool everyone, but darn it seems we are close to production for that. We have been promised the new Escape would be much more then just a slightly refreshed Kuga and actually be larger so I'm not sure what to think.