Name that FWD Coupe.

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should Ford North America call the European Ford Capri?

• Capri
    • Focus Coupe
    • Focus ZX2 ( or something like that )
    • Probe
    • Reflex
    • Cougar
    • All-New Name

Sorry, I don't count "that" as a Capri.

A lot of us agreed with you and sales sucked and it got liquidated. Ford product development at its brain-dead ultimate. Woof. IIRC, the Oz-built sled had atrocious build-quality.

Drove a 1972 2.6 V-6 4-speed, a delightful car. Had decent punch, great handling, super-slick shifts. Then they hung safety bumpers on it starting in 1973 and emissions took the power away.

Apparently Ford did have fuel injection technology but chose not to bring to market, even in the EU, and Ford got into a decline in its power trains in the following decade. Gradually, VW and others ate their lunch in EU.

There's another one. It should have been the new Ford Probe not the Cougar.

An argument for a different day, but the '99 Cougar did more to give the brand its own identity than any other Mercury of the last 15 years. Some of us coveted them, actually, for their aggressive styling, sporty tuning, and hatchback utility. :shift:

I came this close to buying an '02 French Blue Cougar V6 in 2003, but ultimately preferred the color of the ZX3 I ended up getting (Jackpot Gold).

An argument for a different day, but the '99 Cougar did more to give the brand its own identity than any other Mercury of the last 15 years. Some of us coveted them, actually, for their aggressive styling, sporty tuning, and hatchback utility. :shift:

I came this close to buying an '02 French Blue Cougar V6 in 2003, but ultimately preferred the color of the ZX3 I ended up getting (Jackpot Gold).

It was a nice car no doubt but it did nothing to save Mercury. It would have been better off as the Probe IMO.

I agree, it would have done better in the Ford showroom than in Mercury. Well the Capri thing was before my time, can't remember much about the vehicle, what it was, how it was. Seems as it's irrelevant otherwise. I guess we'll have to wait till images are released. Maybe some new name is being trademarked?

To me "Capri" just sounds too...old. I don't know why I feel that way. I mean, if Buick brought back Riviera or Ford the Thunderbird ( both "old" sounding names ) I would love it...perhaps because I have a soft place in my heart for both of those cars and because I think the general public at large feels the same way. Capri, however, doesn't bring any nostalgia with it among the vast majority of people...and so its name should not be used when weighed against the negatives of using the name. I would much prefer Probe ( which this car would be its spiritual successor ), Reflex, or some other never-before-used name.

Don't call it Pea Sticks Bundle????

From Wikipedia:

A faggot in the meaning of "bundle" is an archaic English unit applied to various-sized collections of sticks:

1 short faggot of sticks = 2 ft girth × 3 ft long bundle of short wood sticks/billets

1 long faggot of sticks = 2 ft girth × 4 ft long bundle of long wood sticks/billets

1 faggot of iron = 2 ft girth × 1 ft long bundle of iron/steel rods/bars