SPIED: New MKZ

I think this MKS mock-up's grill is what we have under this MKZ's camo. Also I see a lot of Aston, Jag XF and, dare I say it, Kia Optima in the tail treatment.

What the...where did this come from? Why can't I find an origin on it, Autoblog doesn't have an article. And it looks badly photo-chopped, I want the original.

• Like 1

I've read from 2 different sources (including our favorite insider) that the MKZ will be riding on a modified CD4 platform featuring a wider track than the Fusion. So it's entirely possible that the new MKZ comes out larger than the current model.

How much longer will the CD4 be around?:confused:

The CD4 is to heavy for the new MPG goals.

So, only one Lincoln platform (Navigator) will not be a CD4?

Edited by mettech

I'm looking at the driver, relative to the window and such, and either the driver is short or has a short torso, or the car is getting quite bigger. The window beltline is pretty high. I'm not too keen on the claustrophobic bathtub feel of the MKS and I'm hoping the MKZ doesnt go down that route. Can he see over the dashboard??

Thats what I was wondering myself...I thought the belt line was very large for the new MKZ, but after looking at the Mondeo covered prototypes, they have the same thick beltline.

whatever it is, it looks FAR better then the current MKS...

I don't necessarily agree, although I don't really want to go on criticizing a fake chop. The design does have some evidence that it was professionally done and isn't some shoddy dreamt up scheme. I'm mostly unsettled by the lack of creativity in that design and the over abundance of compound curves. But I am relieved that they seem to have the Lincoln grille design under control and didn't look to the MKT for inspiration.

Edited by BORG

I don't necessarily agree, although I don't really want to go on criticizing a fake chop. The design does have some evidence that it was professionally done and isn't some shoddy dreamt up scheme. I'm mostly unsettled by the lack of creativity in that design and the over abundance of compound curves. But I am relieved that they seem to have the Lincoln grille design under control and didn't look to the MKT for inspiration.

If you take out the obviously photoshopped on (or sticker?) current-gen headlight, which doesn't fit in the new opening, I think there's definite potential there. The lower grille insert isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still prefer it to the current car's unharmonious design. The smaller slats in the grille look much more refined, and the hood detailing help convey more sense of fluidic motion, as opposed to the current hood's blocky creases.

However: A mostly uncamo'd prototype left sitting plain as day at a shopping center parking lot? I'd be more likely to believe that this may be the pre-Wolff MKS MCE, now just being used by engineers to make coffee runs.

If you take out the obviously photoshopped on (or sticker?) current-gen headlight, which doesn't fit in the new opening, I think there's definite potential there. The lower grille insert isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I still prefer it to the current car's unharmonious design. The smaller slats in the grille look much more refined, and the hood detailing help convey more sense of fluidic motion, as opposed to the current hood's blocky creases.

However: A mostly uncamo'd prototype left sitting plain as day at a shopping center parking lot? I'd be more likely to believe that this may be the pre-Wolff MKS MCE, now just being used by engineers to make coffee runs.

The only element of the designs I can trust are the grille and lower bumper...the rest are insinuated by the artist. I suspect this fascia was partially covered or painted over...and the chopper extrapolated an image... after-all it's raining and there is no evidence of water droplets on the hood. I like the grille pieces and it's clear the lower air-dam was done by professional designers...but it just all looks like a very tepid evolution of what was already there...they just want to correct the mistakes from the last design. I'm more likely to believe that these are elements in the final design, but we've seen last minute changes before in the Ford Fusion prototypes for example.

Original Non-Sport Trim Fusion Prototype:

2010-ford-fusion.jpg

Edited by BORG

I think this is at best a mule built for testing. The roofline and hard points look way too close to the Mondeo prototype. Ford has promised that Lincoln would receive 100% unique sheetmetal including the greenhouse so I don't think this is the final version at all.

This the final prototype, no questions about that on my end...this vehicle has already been previewed to the press and dealers.

The chrome door/window frame is a nice improvement over the current Fusion/Z doors, IMHO.

Maybe the Z gets a different C-pillar, which, with all the rest of the panels being different, means that even if the door openings are the same shape and door frames can be shared, the Fusion and the Z may still look quite different. :)

The last picture in the series of spy photos shows what looks like to me a window in the C-pillar, much like the Jaguar XJ had three generations ago. Does anyone else see that or am I just seeing a headrest outline?

I really hope these are just mixed up mules (although I do doubt that) as the MKZ mule and the Fusion mule both appear to have the same roofline and greenhouse. Prior to the MKZ being spotted I was already concerned with how close the new Fusion/Mondeo mule looked to the existing Mondeo but this just adds to my concern! One possiblity...maybe the Mondeo and MKZ will share parts but the Fusion will be different? I highly doubt that but just trying to figure this out...

The last picture in the series of spy photos shows what looks like to me a window in the C-pillar, much like the Jaguar XJ had three generations ago. Does anyone else see that or am I just seeing a headrest outline?

I see that too! It clearly shows the inside trim around a quarter window (thats covered).