Ford Unveils New Seat Design

Good to hear. The seat comfort in my New F150 is VERY disappointing. The materials are cheap, hard and not formed well in my opinion.

Having owned F150's ( and other Fords) in the past, I would have never thought seat comfort would have ever been an issue....

Ford definitely needs to do a little work in this area....

Good to hear. The seat comfort in my New F150 is VERY disappointing. The materials are cheap, hard and not formed well in my opinion.

Having owned F150's ( and other Fords) in the past, I would have never thought seat comfort would have ever been an issue....

We get it dude. You don't like your seats.

• Like 1

Eh, I really like the seats in my Edge. :shrug: Can't wait to replace the ones in my Cobra though!

I liked the seats in my Edge even though they were narrower than the seats in this F150. Even the narrow seats in my Corvette are far more comfortable.

It may sound like I am whining about the seats, but to be honest, I am more shocked than anything that the seats have turned out to be so uncomfortable in this big truck...

The modifications I did to it makes it tolerable....

Edited by sranger

Eh, I really like the seats in my Edge. :shrug: Can't wait to replace the ones in my Cobra though!

I really like the front and back seats in my 2002 Taurus ;) . Comfortable whether the trip is long or short, and showing no wear after 9 years. The only thing I don't like about them is the cloth seats attract lint, but easy to clean. I also like that they are two toned light and dark grey. The contrast is pleasing to the eye. Not a fan of leather seats as they age and get cracks.

Well, while we're at it...

I love the seats in my Fusion: Supportive, deep cushion (for this 6'1" frame), and strong bolsters. I hate the seats in our Escape: Short cushion, no lateral support, and narrow shoulder area.

The Fusion's seats are probably my favorite of any car I've owned, followed by my Expedition. The Escape's are worse than all but my '96 Contour. Thankfully we're hardly ever in the Escape, as it's my wife's daily driver. Our last roadtrip in it killed my back though.

This is the 2nd Gen of F Family seats...Flex, MKT, and MKS launched Ford's new internally designed Gen I seats. It was pretty crazy how much seats cost for a mid to high level ride before the design responsibility was brought back in house...starting around 2006 the seat group was reborn. Wonder how long before upper management has a bright idea about outsourcing the entire design to Tier 1 suppliers.

SparcEE

The Fed has been talking about new seat/head restraints standards for years. IIHS has been doing seat/head restraint testing for a couple of years. Ford results are a mixed bag.

You will notice that the old Five Hundred, which used seats designed by Volvo, passed with flying colors, while the rest of the Ford fleet in those years did not do so well.

I wonder what generation the Fiestas are. I am really enjoying my Leather/heated seats. The Cloth in my fathers Fusion and the Fiesta I test drove seemed harder and abrasive compared to older generations of cloth. I'm sure the durability and use of recycled materials was the trump card. I could live with that.

• Like 1

Ford definitely needs to do a little work in this area in my opinion

Fixed. People always happy to be bitching about something... Just because you have minor quips doesn't mean auto manufacturers should shut down their fucking assembly line and have a massive recall.

Anyway, I haven't sat inside a 2009+ F-150 but I have a 2004 and the seats were very supportive and really made you feel like you were apart of the chassis instead of just protruding above it. Some people didn't like the "numb" feeling, however compared to my uncle's 2001 Screw, it was like riding atop a spaghetti noodle as opposed to a spear.

Ford's chassis seems to be light years ahead(hyperbole) of the competition.

Ford definitely needs to do a little work in this area in my opinion

Fixed. People always happy to be complaining about something... Just because you have minor quips doesn't mean auto manufacturers should shut down their assembly line and have a massive recall over your minuscule problem.

Anyway, I haven't sat inside a 2009+ F-150 but I have a 2004 and the seats were very supportive and really made you feel like you were apart of the chassis instead of just protruding above it. Some people didn't like the "numb" feeling, however compared to my uncle's 2001 Screw, it was like riding atop a spaghetti noodle as opposed to a spear.

The seats in my Ranger are still comfortable (even if the material is getting pretty worn after almost 19 years). They are the buckets that came with the electric pump-inflated bladders for the side bolsters and lumbar support. I have no idea if these were ever used in any other Ford model (Explorer?)

But..........

I sat in a Flex a year or two ago, and I can't imagine a more comfortable (leather) seat to sit in for a long haul. Seriously, it was like sitting on a cloud.

I would agree, the Flex loaner I received for a day had the best seats I have been on in a long while. It matched the car perfectly. I like my seats in my LS because of the side bolstering, I have broad shoulders but skinny 29in waist, so it "grabs" my sides well when doing spirited driving. Now doing those sames turns (in my neighborhood), the Flex while having cushy seats I did slide a bit on it, and my MKX takes them well actually for what it is, might be the preferations in the leather. By my LS and MKX have a somewhat similar feel.

Well, while we're at it...

I love the seats in my Fusion: Supportive, deep cushion (for this 6'1" frame), and strong bolsters. I hate the seats in our Escape: Short cushion, no lateral support, and narrow shoulder area.

The Fusion's seats are probably my favorite of any car I've owned, followed by my Expedition. The Escape's are worse than all but my '96 Contour. Thankfully we're hardly ever in the Escape, as it's my wife's daily driver. Our last roadtrip in it killed my back though.

That is funny because my experience has been different. I actually prefer the leather seats in my 2011 Escape over the leather seats in my 2008 Fusion. The only thing that I miss is that for some reason there is no lumbar adjustment in the Escape. I had it in the Fusion, but even in the Limited there is no lumbar adjustment unless I am just blind and never found the control. The back seat in the Escape is pretty wimpy and flat, but I don't ride in the back so I can't really comment on comfort. I have sat back there just to see how much room there is and it is fine in that area.

Lets hope its comfortable with good ergonomics, Focus seats are as hard as ole iron its like sitting cast iron l could not travel more than 25 miles in one. Sometimes l think Ford are going backwards in design.

Ford seem to be taking the weight out of everything filling in the new Escape using cheap recycled bottle plastics everywhere, l like the idea of making it as light as possible as it will give a massive improvement in MPG , as long as the shitty boring new shape that will lose the Escape a lot of sales does not get all the credit as the aerodynamics will not play any part in better MPG at all. Lightness & Engine technology should get all the credit but Ford will market the aerodynamic bullshit just like the fins of 50's but at least they added to sales.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Fixed. People always happy to be complaining about something... Just because you have minor quips doesn't mean auto manufacturers should shut down their assembly line and have a massive recall over your minuscule problem.

First of all where did I say that Ford needs to shut down it's production and recall the seats?????

Second, when the seats in your new vehicle are uncomfortable to the point of cause leg and hip pain, it is not a minor issue to the owner. I do realize that different size people will find these seats to be comfortable. However, I know several people my size 6'-4" 225lb that find them to be quite uncomfortable. I have talked to people who are smaller that loved them and people who are larger that loved them.

The issue for me is that I sink deep into the middle of the seat. My hips are just wide enough to be on the edge of the side bolsters. Ford uses a foam injection bottom. There is a very sharp raduius on the inside of the seat bolster on the left. Because of the way injection foam cures, this radius is fairly hard foam. It tended to poke into the side of my hip and leg. Over time this causes pain. I removed the cover and cut the radius out and chamfered the inside edge of the left seat bolster and it reliever the pressure. Ford could have eliminated the issue by simple having a shallow taper from the middle section to the side bolster ( the way most seats are made ) instead of the sharp radius that caused the foam to form a hard ridge on the inside of the seat bolster....

I don't know how they are going to pull this off, seating comfort is a very cultural thing and it's nearly impossible to satisfy all with just one design.

Agreed, it seems like this is one area where regional differences could be tolerated. There are differences in height, weight, ideas of what comfortable should be (some like to sit on a cloud, some like a firm supportive seat with lateral support, etc) in every culture/region. Maybe they will have side bolsters that are adjustable to mimmick changing the seat's width for the wider Americans, skinnier Europeans, etc. I have a set of old fox body seats where the front of the seat extends out, presumably for taller people to have more support under their legs, something like that could be used for different heights of people. Now, obviously, I realize that there are people of different sizes in every culture, but I'm speaking in generalities about the regional differences. I'm fairly short and lightweight, and personally prefer a harder seat with nice big side bolstering to hold me in on the twisties in a smaller car, while on a truck I'd prefer a softer seat because they generally ride pretty rough and for the long haul towing trips I do fairly regularly. Short answer to this is I don't think you can have one seat for every vehicle in the lineup, or even one seat for every model of a single vehicle worldwide.

That is funny because my experience has been different. I actually prefer the leather seats in my 2011 Escape over the leather seats in my 2008 Fusion. The only thing that I miss is that for some reason there is no lumbar adjustment in the Escape. I had it in the Fusion, but even in the Limited there is no lumbar adjustment unless I am just blind and never found the control. The back seat in the Escape is pretty wimpy and flat, but I don't ride in the back so I can't really comment on comfort. I have sat back there just to see how much room there is and it is fine in that area.

I'd chalk it up to my unusual body proportions. I'm 6"1", long legged (34" inseam), and pretty dang lanky. I have a hard time getting comfortable in dangnear anything!

I'd chalk it up to my unusual body proportions. I'm 6"1", long legged (34" inseam), and pretty dang lanky. I have a hard time getting comfortable in dangnear anything!

Well I think the main reason I am more comfortable in the Escape is because the seat naturally sits higher and keeps my right knee from banging so much in the console. I am also 6'1, but I have a longer body and just average legs so with the Escape I can sit a little higher with more head room and keep my knees from bending upwards as much. In the Fusion I had to keep the seat (especially with a moonroof) all the way down or my head would hit the ceiling. Make sense? LOL :)

Edited by 2005Explorer

Is your truck a 2011? Leather? Just curious because I thought the leather seats were extremely comfortable.

Monte