The lap of luxury: Redefining 'personal' cars in the land of Lincoln

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/the-lap-of-luxury-redefining-personal-cars-in-the-land-of-lincoln

Ford is doing pretty well as 2011 comes to a close, but not so much the rather nebulous Lincoln division. In the wake of the company’s selloff of Jaguar and Land Rover, Lincoln (which might have been dropped altogether) has instead been anointed as the depository of all things luxury, but even Ford acknowledges its image is a little fuzzy. And it’s not helped by an alphabetically challenged product line — MKT, MKS, MKZ, MKX (below) — that the public is having trouble keeping straight. Lincoln is looking for a new image, and that’s why I was invited to the “What’s Next for Luxury?” forum in New York with Ford’s vice president of marketing and Lincoln’s chief designer.

Lincoln will unveil a new personal concept car, priced somewhere between $40,000 and $60,000, at the big auto show in Detroit next month, Farley told me.

MKZ or something else?

I don't think it would be the MKZ, which is a sedan, not a "personal concept car". My guess is the concept will be Max Wolff's full on representation of what he wants Lincoln styling to be. A Lincoln Evos, so to speak. The big question is which chassis, or better put, might this concept be on a RWD chassis? Or could Lincoln build a "personal car" (i.e. coupe) on one of the existing FWD chassis now in the stable?

Edited by Harley Lover

"Personal Concept Car" could mean just about anything, including MKZ with a new name. I mean we already know Lincoln has been teasing the MKZ concept which we can assume is showing in Detroit, but could they have another concept alongside? I don't think so, they might package it with the marketing speak of 'personal' to refer to the dramatic 4-door coupe design architecture.

Edited by BORG

"Personal Concept Car" could mean just about anything, including MKZ with a new name. I mean we already know Lincoln has been teasing the MKZ concept which we can assume is showing in Detroit, but could they have another concept alongside? That would be peculiar so I'm pretty sure they are referring to a renamed MKZ concept variant and the 4-door coupe design is part of that 'personal' nomenclature.

I don't think they would call the MKZ a "personal concept car".

Unless they are renaming it and don't want to call it "4-door sedan concept". They are using very nebulous marketing speak which is usually a good indicator that they are up to something and the MKZ successor is involved.

I don't think it will be the MKZ because they say the personal concept car will occupy the $40k to $60 and that would mean a $5k jump in the price of the MKZ if it is the MKZ.

imho the "personal concept" could refer to a bespoke/customization program

&

afaik the Z starts about $35k now - if they add a few more std features (in addition to the new intelligent suspension & powered rear window shade), to match the average trim purchased; $39,995 seems ok - esp. since we don't know about new drivetrains yet...

&

with all opts + sliding glass roof + EB + customization, $60k should be quite realistic imho

Edited by 2b2

I'm pleased to see they're having the right conversations.

Talking about differentiation and buyer expectations, not 'how can we out-BMW BMW?'

To the extent that customization can be offered profitably, it may be a *huge* differentiator. We're living in the long-tail era, people expect.. if Ford can solve this puzzle, it'll be huge.

Maybe not, but the way they're discussing "personal luxury," they're not talking about a "personal" car so much as one that's customized to the buyer's tastes. I recall reading something about them introducing a "concept" MKZ at NAIAS with the production car bowing at NY, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they'd use the MKZ as a springboard for the "personal luxury" idea.

Then again, maybe it's that long-rumored/-awaited/-debated C-segment Lincoln, though the price point sounds more like an MKX or MKS (that seems like a stupid-high price for a C-segment car, IMHO).

"Personal Luxury Car" was the term for Mark II and III, and the 58-66 T-Bird.........maybe a nod to that?

I also caught this irony, it isn't likely accidental. You would have to think that if they are going to roll out a term like "personal luxury car" that they either pulled it out of their own history or at least checked to see if it had been historically used.

Competing against Acura with old Mazda and Volvo platforms seems like a recipe for failure. Why make a really lame attempt to capture a market which barely exists. Ford/Lincoln doesn't appear willing or ready to take the Germans on head-to-head. This leaves them needing to come up with a strategy that is different than what other makers are doing.

Rolling out a modern version of what the Mark II, III and the generation 2-4 T-Birds represented could make some sense, at least in comparison to the other options available. Trying to sell customized versions of the awkard wardrobes wrapped around the old Mazda and Volvo platforms would really seem like a fatal flaw. Let's hope they have more than that in-mind. Most people who have this kind of money in America, today, earned it by being pretty smart. Nearly all will research the heck out of this scale of a luxury and status purchase. They know how to find internet reviews. Not many will be fooled by inbred hillbillys posing in emperors clothing.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

I also caught this irony, it isn't likely accidental. You would have to think that if they are going to roll out a term like "personal luxury car" that they either pulled it out of their own history or at least checked to see if it had been historically used.

Competing against Acura with old Mazda and Volvo platforms seems like a recipe for failure. Why make a really lame attempt to capture a market which barely exists. Ford/Lincoln doesn't appear willing or ready to take the Germans on head-to-head. This leaves them needing to come up with a strategy that is different than what other makers are doing.

Rolling out a modern version of what the Mark II, III and the generation 2-4 T-Birds represented could make some sense, at least in comparison to the other options available. Trying to sell customized versions of the awkard wardrobes wrapped around the old Mazda and Volvo platforms would really seem like a fatal flaw. Let's hope they have more than that in-mind. Most people who have this kind of money in America, today, earned it by being pretty smart. Nearly all will research the heck out of this scale of a luxury and status purchase. They know how to find internet reviews. Not many will be fooled by inbred hillbillys posing in emperors clothing.

The new MKZ will no longer reside on the CD3 (old Mazda platform as you put it). It will share a platform with the new Mondeo/Fusion which is the EUCD platform.

Ford didn't have the resources to put into Lincoln until a couple of years ago so there's no way they could have an all new RWD flagship platform right now even if they wanted to. Nor would it be financially prudent right now given all the Lincoln needs to do to be competitive.

Is Lexus successful? What are their 2 biggest selling vehicles? Here is a hint - neither are RWD. One of Caddy's 2 successful vehicles are FWD.

Would most of us like to see a RWD high performance flagship Lincoln? You bet. Is it "necessary" for Lincoln to be successful as a brand? Not at all.

• Like 1

Ok.

BMW and Mercedes, by all measures, are successful luxury brands. They also field RWD cars with dedicated platforms.

Are they successful luxury brands BECAUSE they have RWD cars with dedicated platforms? Or are there other more relevant reasons?

I'm glad Ford is trying to think outside the box with this one. What does 'taking on the Germans' even mean? You will never meet a Truer Believer in German cars than me, but I don't want to see Lincoln building an S-Class clone. Or a 3-Series clone. Why not try something different? Or are we at the point in history where there are just no more new good ideas?

At the very earliest I surely wouldn't expect one before the next gen Mustang is launched.

I'm chiefly concerned with Lincoln's CUV efforts, I would like to see something from them on the MKEscape or MKExplorer, they need to get moving on those. Personally, I'm not that interested in what Lincoln is doing with cars, although I'm sure the MKZ will be nice. If I'm buying a luxury car, for me it has to be a SUV/CUV and Lincoln's only viable entry is the MKX.

I don't think it will be the MKZ because they say the personal concept car will occupy the $40k to $60 and that would mean a $5k jump in the price of the MKZ if it is the MKZ.

The MKS fits the $40,000-$60,000 price range much better than the MKZ which is Lincoln's entry level vehicle. If the new MKZ is supposed to be in that range, then good luck Lincoln as the MKZ will cost as much as present MKS, its flagship for now. I can think of a lot of luxury vehicles better than Lincoln at that price range. I know the new MKZ will have more options to choose from, but Lincoln better keep base price same as present one.

I'm chiefly concerned with Lincoln's CUV efforts, I would like to see something from them on the MKEscape or MKExplorer, they need to get moving on those. Personally, I'm not that interested in what Lincoln is doing with cars, although I'm sure the MKZ will be nice. If I'm buying a luxury car, for me it has to be a SUV/CUV and Lincoln's only viable entry is the MKX.

I don't see any reason for concern, except in relation to the MKExplorer, since there has been no hinting at that one yet at all. However, even if they announced it now, I wouldn't expect it at least until another 8-12 months after the MKEscape is launched. New vehicles don't come out of thin air. How many times does this need to be rehashed?