The lap of luxury: Redefining 'personal' cars in the land of Lincoln

Hopefully Ford has sent some of its people to a Lexus, MB, BMW, and Porsche/Audi dealer to buy one of their cars and then researched the experience and dealership experience after purchase to see how different it is from more conventional dealerhip like Ford/Chevy. What is the same and what is different from architecture, signage, ambience, customer luxuries, dealer service area, and so on. It certainly sounds like they have done their homework, and I hope they can pull off the luxury experince from dealership to vehicle itself. That being said, I expect the new MKZ to be a WOW vehicle compared to anything Lincoln has built in many years. Really get your attention outside and inside with exceptional options list and standard features along with outstanding engine options. To go against the likes of Audi/BMW, Lincoln must have a vehicle like this. The new MKZ needs to blow our socks off. Lincoln needs a game changer.

I would think that Mulally and Farley understand the Lexus model pretty well.

along the lines of the Buick Lacrosse and Acura RL.

The RL I can understand, as it is way more capable than the Buick, and a more sophisticated build quality: compare how the door glass is done between the two; the RL is also better than any other Acura, for this, as befitting the position of Acura flagship ($70K?). Why you are in thrall of that Buick badge is a mystery. Entry luxury, OK, especially for people who just don't know better, but really . . . ? :)

"Personal luxury concept" sounds like a Audi A7 or Mercedes CLS... A MKS based 4-door coupe with lower roof and fastback profile. Problem is that this is another in a long line of styling exersizes. How can Lincoln be a success if every three years it changes its mind.

The real question for Lincoln is going to be answered with the execution of the upcomming small MKs... Both the MKFocus and MKEscape, followed closely by the MKZ replacement. If successful this would stabilize Lincoln as it works thru the dealer network. Execution is going to be the key, but the only question marks I have with the current Lincoln lineup in the near term is the MKT and Navigator along with a potential MKExplorer. Once stabilized I think Lincoln needs to decide if it wants to chase the German brands. If so I think the MKS is where the current lineup starts to fall apart. The problem is that without a whole new bespoke large luxury sedan platform I don't think Lincoln can compete one-on-one with the Germans. Another angle is to decide that like PAG was chasing the Germans is a fruitless effort... To instead imagine Lincoln as an elevated Acura or Buick, both in terms of product lines, equipment levels, prices, and dealer experience.

An elevated Buick is a Lincoln. The MKZ is better than any Buick, especially dynamically. The Lincoln has a relatively soft suspension, but it's European heritage can still be felt in the twists.

I think Ford should aim higher with Lincoln and stop trying to out-German the Germans.(Cadillac, Hyundai)

Both of the aforementioned brands are failing at gaining any market share in that foray.

I do agree with the MKS being an outlier. Lincoln has potential(MKZ), but I feel the MKS, MKT, and Navigator are holding the brand back along with a lack of exclusive content, mainly power trains.

Clearly, the changes Ford has made to improve its own brand are paying big dividends, so from a financial point of view,

the contribution of Lincoln with around 6,000 vehicles a month is really small beer but still value adds like a high series trim.

Not starting a pissing contest of Lincoln return on investment versus what's happening at Buick and Cadillac but it's obvious

that GM has spent way more over there on products but in doing so, they have to make more sales to recover their investment.

Clearly, the changes Ford has made to improve its own brand are paying big dividends, so from a financial point of view,

the contribution of Lincoln with around 6,000 vehicles a month is really small beer but still value adds like a high series trim.

Not starting a pissing contest of Lincoln return on investment versus what's happening at Buick and Cadillac but it's obvious

that GM has spent way more over there on products but in doing so, they have to make more sales to recover their investment.

Exactly. How much did they waste on the XLR?

The RL I can understand, as it is way more capable than the Buick, and a more sophisticated build quality: compare how the door glass is done between the two; the RL is also better than any other Acura, for this, as befitting the position of Acura flagship ($70K?). Why you are in thrall of that Buick badge is a mystery. Entry luxury, OK, especially for people who just don't know better, but really . . . ? :)

Not really entralled with Buick other than a bit intreged that Buick of all the GM brands it has seemed to have departed bankrupcy with the best sense of self. Reason I keep mentioning Acrua and Buick is that share the same heavy platform sharing stragegy as Lincoln. And as such give a comparision as to how far and how short Lincoln's current platform sharing stategy can take it. Not saying Buick is the same price/equipment point as Lincoln... But that it represents the floor of expectations. While Acura potentially represents the roof. One only needs to look as the Acura RL which is a rebadged Honda Legend, just like the MKS is a Taurus. Interesting the RL is gettting a new version within a year of so (will be shown in NY) and is sticking to same spec but getting larger (to seperate it from the TL). The question for Ford is that Acura is excellent in what they do, but because it follows a "different path" doesn't take sales or critic headlines. I personally think this might be a good direction for Lincoln... But in exchange we should expect Lincoln products (at least sedans) to run into the same anti-FWD platform bias that dominates the automotive media.

Edited by Kris Kolman

Ford has turned itself around without any help from Lincoln. Considering Lincoln is a North America only brand and sells in such small volume is it really that important to the health of the Ford Motor Company? I mean I can see it is nice to have a luxury brand that is sold for a higher level of profit, however if it is a weak brand then just maintaining separate designers, marketers, sales channels, etc. has to be expensive.

Now everyone assumes that the new Lincoln vehicles will be hot "gotta have it" products and Lincoln will be a very popular, highly regarded luxury brand in just a few short years. What if the new products don't do well should Ford keep dropping millions into Lincoln and continue their attempt to rebuild the brand?

How many of you think this time it is do or die for Lincoln? I thinkthey might do alright, but you have to admit the brand is very damaged and putting a damaged brand up against the very best in the world is not an easy task. You are asking everyone to forget everything they know right now about this dated old school luxury brand and imagine it being fashionable and in-style. That's not an easy task at all.

Ford has turned itself around without any help from Lincoln. Considering Lincoln is a North America only brand and sells in such small volume is it really that important to the health of the Ford Motor Company? I mean I can see it is nice to have a luxury brand that is sold for a higher level of profit, however if it is a weak brand then just maintaining separate designers, marketers, sales channels, etc. has to be expensive.

Now everyone assumes that the new Lincoln vehicles will be hot "gotta have it" products and Lincoln will be a very popular, highly regarded luxury brand in just a few short years. What if the new products don't do well should Ford keep dropping millions into Lincoln and continue their attempt to rebuild the brand?

How many of you think this time it is do or die for Lincoln? I thinkthey might do alright, but you have to admit the brand is very damaged and putting a damaged brand up against the very best in the world is not an easy task. You are asking everyone to forget everything they know right now about this dated old school luxury brand and imagine it being fashionable and in-style. That's not an easy task at all.

I believe Ford has already answered your question. Ford has stated that this is a final attempt to turn around the Lincoln brand. As had been stated many times by Ford and on here, Ford is comprehensivley trying to get Lincoln competitive again. Patience is required. If this final attempt doesn't work, then Lincoln will go the way of Mercury eventually. I believe in time Lincoln can be a Tier One luxury car maker if it wants to be and invests the money required. Over next few years it needs to get Lincoln brand to be at least on more luxury buyer lists, then from there up their game a bit and at least try to move up another notch. Lincoln is on life support now, and all that can be expected next couple years is to move off critical list. Then we will see what Ford does to get the patient healthy again. Certainly more than $1 billion will be required then if Lincoln is to join the big boys eventually.

...What if the new products don't do well should Ford keep dropping millions into Lincoln and continue their attempt to rebuild the brand?...

this is something I wonder about - almost lose sleep over

& tho it doesn't have to be black or white

and would be better if it wasn't;

I'm curious to see just how committed Fomoco is to making Lincoln

- a success in every sense

- a worldclass Lux Brand in particular

Instead of continually expecting Lincoln to compete with other luxury sedans, how about changing tack to Utilities?

MKX shows the way, so why not MKEscape, new Explorer based Aviator and a refreshed Navigator with EB V6 and 5.0 V8.

Look at the sedans and without using Jaguar based DEW, is there any reason why Lincoln couldn't have their own XK, XF and XJ

by combining the resources of Ford's two remaining RWD cars. Pick the best parts, unique top hats, lots of luxury and style...let's go.

I believe a plan like that harvests the very best of Ford North American Utility selection and current technology while also adding the

uniqueness of a line of cars unparalleled in the Ford company - unique, distinctive and exclusive without the cost of unique platforms

Edited by jpd80

Instead of continually expecting Lincoln to compete with other luxury sedans, how about changing tack to Utilities?

MKX shows the way, so why not MKEscape, new Explorer based Aviator and a refreshed Navigator with EB V6 and 5.0 V8.

Look at the sedans and without using Jaguar based DEW, is there any reason why Lincoln couldn't have their own XK, XF and XJ

by combining the resources of Ford's two remaining RWD cars. Pick the best parts, unique top hats, lots of luxury and style...let's go.

I believe a plan like that harvests the very best of Ford North American Utility selection and current technology while also adding the

uniqueness of a line of cars unparalleled in the Ford company - unique, distinctive and exclusive without the cost of unique platforms

Merry Xamas by the way J, my 2c on where lincolns headed....AWD w eco drivetrains and GRWD rearing its head in the larger models , including a new Flagship with quite possibly the 5.0 being underhood.......

Edited by Deanh

Short term (1-3 years), Lincoln can probably double sales by offering stronger CUV/SUV lineup with more depth. Long term, hopefully, more competitive sedans will come, and maybe one will be RWD with a chassis to rival the best from Germany. Ford has done it with Mustang, so why not something with MB luxury. If I were Tier Two luxury competition like Acura, Infiniti, and Cadillac, I would be a bit worried about Ford without a distraction like Mercury and very focused on reviving its luxury brand. I believe Lincoln could be very formidable by 2016 or so and sooner in SUV/CUV segments.

I think a low-volume, high profitability RWD sedan could work for Lincoln especially if Lincoln expands to China where these big cars are popular; A 5-7 series competitor.

I can't see any RWD sedan slotting beneath the 5-series segment. The MKZ is in a perfect position to fill that void, in my opinion.

It seems China is regarding "big cars" much in the same way we were. Ford would be foolish not to take advantage of that emerging market.

The problem is that a GRWD platform is going to be hugely expensive, and if aimed at the 5-series/E-class is going to need extreme resources to get it "just right". DEW wasn't very successful, and that wasn't because of Jaguar... It was because the platform and execution wasn't really as good as the vehicles it was compared against. In fact the 5-series/E-class competition is much more cutthroat and a higher bar than the 3-series/C-class. Reason is that the lower priced vehicles you can entice people to "jump up" to a premium brand on price. This is how Lexus got traction with the inital IS, which was great dynamically but was really small and short equipment/finish wise. Same thing with the Cadilac CTS which has gained traction against the 3-series with higher power ratings, but is short equipment/finish wise. So the quesiton is does Ford have ~$3+ billion to dump into a new RWD platform, which is what it will take. Or does Ford instead go the route of Acura and Audi... A dynamically competent AWD focused platform to repalce D3 that has much wider applications. No reason D3 couldn't out du the Audi A6.

The problem is that a GRWD platform is going to be hugely expensive, and if aimed at the 5-series/E-class is going to need extreme resources to get it "just right". DEW wasn't very successful, and that wasn't because of Jaguar... It was because the platform and execution wasn't really as good as the vehicles it was compared against. In fact the 5-series/E-class competition is much more cutthroat and a higher bar than the 3-series/C-class. Reason is that the lower priced vehicles you can entice people to "jump up" to a premium brand on price. This is how Lexus got traction with the inital IS, which was great dynamically but was really small and short equipment/finish wise. Same thing with the Cadilac CTS which has gained traction against the 3-series with higher power ratings, but is short equipment/finish wise. So the quesiton is does Ford have ~$3+ billion to dump into a new RWD platform, which is what it will take. Or does Ford instead go the route of Acura and Audi... A dynamically competent AWD focused platform to repalce D3 that has much wider applications. No reason D3 couldn't out du the Audi A6.

The current XK, XF and XJ Jaguars are on a new version of DEW.

I'm not prescribing Ford return to DEW, the Mustang/Falcon collaboration could quite spawn a series of vehicles with unique top hats

that are surprisingly cost effective to Ford and delivering near Jaguar luxury levels and performance than most people could ever imagine.

The key with any RWD Lincoln flagship would be positioning it as a Lincoln flagship, honest to the Lincoln identity, instead of casting it as a fill-in-the-blank fighter.

I used Jaguar above as an example of what could be achieved cost effectively for lincoln without using a dedicated platform,

I also accept that lincolns should be their own identity, not BMW, MBs or even Jaguars but Lincoln needs to start somewhere.

I know that FNA prefers to use it's FWD/AWD vehicles, I'm mreely showing that RWD/AWD could also be developed at reasonable cost.

Edited by jpd80

There is far less vehicles than you would think: Ford is on pace to sell <32,000 Falcons and Territories, <70,000 Mustangs, and <17,000 MKS’ and MKTs. The export potential for these vehicles is very limited, and as such growth potential. So can Ford reasonably invest $3+ billion into a platform that can only reasonably expect ~120,00 nominal sales plus ~20,000 premium sales.

Really problem here is that the Falcon no longer selling at the 73,000 pace we saw in ’03. And this last year has been particularly bad this year with sales collapsing to 37% to last year’s pace. Some of the blame for this year’s decline is due to a poor rollout with significant time without a LPG option and cancellation of the wagon (offset by increased Territory sales). But the entire Australian large car segment in Australia is struggling with a 21% decrease from '10. FoA is hanging its hat on the new 2.0L EcoBoost along with LPG options to give a charge into sales, but if it doesn’t happen this could be the end of the Falcon.

I was over on the NY Daily News Website this AM and they had a couple polling questions asking what people thought of Lincoln Cars...the most interesting thing about the answers was 51% of people who answered it had neither a bad nor good option of Lincoln...which hopefully means with the right marketing with good products to back it up Ford can do some considerable improvements to sales...

I was over on the NY Daily News Website this AM and they had a couple polling questions asking what people thought of Lincoln Cars...the most interesting thing about the answers was 51% of people who answered it had neither a bad nor good option of Lincoln...which hopefully means with the right marketing with good products to back it up Ford can do some considerable improvements to sales...

I agree. There are lots of luxury auto buyers out there that used to own Lincoln products, now drive Audi, Lexus, or whatever, and would come back to brand if Lincoln offered something competitive. Now that Lincoln is getting much more of Ford's attention and focus without previous distractions like PAG and Mercury, I would be absolutley shocked if new MKZ is not a wow vehicle inside and out. I expect it to be a class leading luxury vehicle in its segment in may ways.

I don't know that Lincoln absolutely has to have a RWD sport sedan in its lineup to be taken seriously, but I still believe a RWD sport sedan/coupe off of new Mustang platform would be a great bonus for Lincoln lineup. Getting the new MKZ right is far more important, but an exciting RWD sportier Lincoln in future would make a statement for sure. For me, it would mean LIncoln has fully arrived as a serious luxury brand competitor able to take on anyone.

the most interesting thing about the answers was 51% of people who answered it had neither a bad nor good option of Lincoln...

Which to me means 51% of people couldn't pick a Lincoln out from a lineup of cars. Current Lincolns are as bland as a Camry in their eyes...they just don't get noticed.

This is VERY good because expectations will be low. I guess the 2 decades of neglecting Lincoln is going to pay off.

Edited by Boss444
  • Like 1

Which to me means 51% of people couldn't pick a Lincoln out from a lineup of cars. Current Lincolns are as bland as a Camry in their eyes...they just don't get noticed.

This is VERY good because expectations will be low. I guess the 2 decades of neglecting Lincoln is going to pay off.

My sister isn't really into cars, and when she first saw my 2010 MKZ she said, what is it? When I told her it's a Lincoln, she laughed at me and said I'm an old man or a Soprano.(stereotypes, gotta love 'em!) On Xmas Eve, I drove around her in-laws to see the National Xmas tree, etc. and they kept on commenting how "snazzy" the Lincoln was. They loved the ambient lighting especially. They drive Nissans by the way and they seemed very impressed with the front end and interior! A buddy of mine always comments on how cool and distinctive the horizontal LED's look at night, when he's following me. I think most people I know, who are not into cars, vaguely know a Benz from a BMW or Audi by glance and some even confuse a 3 or 4 year old one as a brand new one. So the general public is pretty clueless about where their cars are made or whether they're front, rear or all-wheel-drive! The thing that always cracks me up is when friends or family try to seem knowledgeable about cars around me, but I can tell they're reading the nameplate or logo on a particular car as they feel obligated to comment about it to me. LOL In the past few years, when I go to auto shows, I notice non-fanboys' reactions as they sit inside of a Ford or Lincoln model. They are usually impressed and say something like "I can't believe this is a Taurus!" So even with the current lineup at Lincoln, if people would bother just to look, they would be pleasantly surprised. It's the same battle Hyundai and Kia or even Buick have been fighting recently: peoples' inaccurate perceptions and negative assumptions. It often takes years for them to catch up to reality. Meanwhile, Toyota continues to get a passing grade based on their "excellence" in the past.

Edited by hbalek
  • Like 1

And, ironically enough, GM, after spending all of that money on Cadillac, appears to be adopting the Lincoln strategy for Cadillac. It is largely using shared platforms and engines for new Cadillacs. The unique Sigma platform, meanwhile, is only used for the CTS.

And, ironically enough, GM, after spending all of that money on Cadillac, appears to be adopting the Lincoln strategy for Cadillac. It is largely using shared platforms and engines for new Cadillacs. The unique Sigma platform, meanwhile, is only used for the CTS.

A unique platform that now runs Zeta suspension.....

There is far less vehicles than you would think: Ford is on pace to sell <32,000 Falcons and Territories, <70,000 Mustangs, and <17,000 MKS' and MKTs. The export potential for these vehicles is very limited, and as such growth potential. So can Ford reasonably invest $3+ billion into a platform that can only reasonably expect ~120,00 nominal sales plus ~20,000 premium sales.

Three billion you say?

The whole of FG cost less than $700 million and the recent upgrades to both cars cost $120 million a piece

of which the Aussie government assisted with $40 million. With a starting price North of $37,000 the business

case for Falcon is still good especially now that over 80% of Territory sales are diesels in excess of $45,000 each.

Really problem here is that the Falcon no longer selling at the 73,000 pace we saw in '03. And this last year has been particularly bad this year with sales collapsing to 37% to last year's pace. Some of the blame for this year's decline is due to a poor rollout with significant time without a LPG option and cancellation of the wagon (offset by increased Territory sales). But the entire Australian large car segment in Australia is struggling with a 21% decrease from '10. FoA is hanging its hat on the new 2.0L EcoBoost along with LPG options to give a charge into sales, but if it doesn't happen this could be the end of the Falcon.

Blah, blah, take an look at the aerials shots of Broadmeadows and Elizabeth on nearmaps.com.au and tell me what you think.

At roughly 4,000/mth production, Ford is selling everything they make but over at Holden they are producing 300/day Commodores

and 185/day Cruze, that adds up to 6,000 Commodores and 4,000 Cruze when Holden struggles to sell 3,700 and 2,800 respectively

in a month. Holden is drowning in stock, while Ford is clean and efficient, right sized for true market capacity.

Ford Australia is doing OK because they are asking the right $ for their locally built products and increasing the imports

to fill the gaps in its products. Sure, the Falcon is less of a player to day than it once was but Ford has stepped away from

taxis and government fleets where 30-40% discounts were common, It mackes much better sense not to expend resources

on empty sales and by making less vehicles, Ford actually adds clarity of purpose ot its business plans.

Edited by jpd80

...cost $120 million...of which the Aussie government assisted with $40 million...

hmm

maybe I've been going about my GRwdP rants all wrong

Has anyone asked the Australian gov'mint how they'd like to have a world-class-Luxury Lincoln Continental flagship built in Australia?

groucho.gif

btw, how's shipbuilding down under? Think they might also pick up (part of) the tab for shipping the Continentals over here?