Farley: Ford accelerates plans to reduce global vehicle platforms

...and it can be done with "existing" architecture as the MKT is 5" longer than MKS yet both share D3 chassis....put a stretched (at the rear doors) MKS tophat on an MKT chassis....done!

Yes, it can be done. Requires a whole new set of dies, and that's a lot of money. Because Ford did that with the Mondeo in China, it shows that they are aware of the possible market benefits. IMHO, we may see a LWB model with the next MKS. Ford will have the new Lincoln look more sorted-out, and the money to make as many tooling changes as necessary. :)

Yes, it can be done. Requires a whole new set of dies, and that's a lot of money. Because Ford did that with the Mondeo in China, it shows that they are aware of the possible market benefits. IMHO, we may see a LWB model with the next MKS. Ford will have the new Lincoln look more sorted-out, and the money to make as many tooling changes as necessary. :)

:headscratch: Not sure on the "whole new set of dies" comment since I do not work in the automotive business, but since the MKT and MKS both are D3 based and since the only change to MKS long wheel base would be to the roof panel and related under-structure and rear doors, thus keeping all else the same...(i.e. hood, cowl, deck, fenders, front doors, etc etc) it would seem to be a pretty easy "in house" stretch conversion....similar to what they did with Crown VIc police/taxi and Town Car livery vehicles....

I also do not understand Fords' reluctance to roll out Lincoln in the Chinese market.

Edited by twintornados

1) Mk5 Fiesta isn’t going away… Ford needs a price leader for developing markets as the Mk6 Fiesta comes in at too high of a price. Ford has made it clear the Figo is key to their expansion into Asian markets, and the Brazil older Fiesta is key to continued strength in Latin America

2) See 6 for the Ka, and the Courier and Bantam have already been targeted for cancelation. The Ikon in South Africa and Mexico is not the same Mk4 Fiesta based Ikon that was once sold in India. They are Mk5 Fiesta sedans sourced from India (no local production in South Africa or Mexico).

3) This would be in contrast to what Ford said earlier… They said they would convert all Focus production to the new global version and eliminate the older generations. Numbers don't support the older Focus and Escape living on and getting down to the 9 platforms by next year. Farley wouldn't have said what he said unless the plan is to cancel them.

4) See 3

5) Its obvious Farley was talking about non-commercial platforms as 9 isn't enough... For example there are cab-forward commerical vehicles in South America. I figure a combination Transit Connect, Transit, and E-Series could replace any van worldwide.

6) Ford just a month ago released a press release saying that Brazil is working on a new Ka based on the Mk6 Fiesta. This will replace the current Fiat sourced version, and will replace the older Ka in Brazil.

The South African Ikon is the same as the Indian Fiesta Classic, which is a Mk4Fiesta sedan

2051213_002_mini4L.jpg

The Mexican Ikon is the same as the Brazilian Fiesta, which is a Mk5 Fiesta sedan

Untitled-4.jpg

Mexican Ikon =/= South African Ikon

And C1 Focus and Mk1 Escape are here to stay. At least for a while longer.

Edited by bzcat

I think some people are looking at this too hard....I'd assume most platforms are basically the same with improvements to them on the "premium" models. Having a Cheap B platform and a expensive B platform isn't as huge of a stretch as saying a having a B car vs CD car. I'm sure that the cheap and expensive B platforms share wiring harnesses etc....

I agree - might it be possible that a B platform (in the context of Farley's comments) might represent more than one generation, thus the prior gen B platform cars in developing markets would be lumped together with current gen B platform cars, etc.?

Edited by Harley Lover

I don't see Territory replacing the Edge..maybe as an Explorer replacement or even maybe as a Bronco? It would make no sense having a FWD small CUV, a RWD Mid CUV and then a FWD CUV

Well that's exactlywhat Ford has now with Escape, Edge,Explorer..

The only difference is the RWD bit for Edge replacement...

Explorer is and SUV, not a CUV, look at the roof line.

Edited by jpd80

The South African Ikon is the same as the Indian Fiesta Classic, which is a Mk4Fiesta sedan

The Mexican Ikon is the same as the Brazilian Fiesta, which is a Mk5 Fiesta sedan

Mexican Ikon =/= South African Ikon

And C1 Focus and Mk1 Escape are here to stay. At least for a while longer.

Ok... I read something that made it seemed like the Mexican Ikon was sourced from India... But Mexico = Brazil and South Africa = India makes more sense. But help me understand something... The older Indian Ikon was a local market varient of a Mk4 Fiesta that started sales in 2000, right? While on the same market Ford had the Mk5 Fiesta sedan and hatchback on sale up until a year ago, right? When they introduced the Mk6 Fiesta Ford cancelled the Mk4 based Ikon, and gave the "other" Fiesta sedan/hatchback restyling (relaunching them as the Fiesta Classic and Figo). Indian motorpress has been quite clear that the Fiesta Classic = / = Ikon. What am I missing?

If the older Focus and Escape live on as regional platform how does that jive with "4 regional platforms" from Farley? D3/D4 isn't disapearing next year, Falcon is staying for at least 5, and Farley mentioned the F150... older gen Focus + Escape = 2, which is greater than 1, which means Farley can't count?

Edited by Kris Kolman

Farley is an Ad guy WTF does he know about platforms?

How could Farley work for Ford in a senior management role and not know the intricacies of product design and development,

that to and fro between marketing, design and developemnt is critical to the process of continual improvement.

I believe he was also given another management role within Ford that involved more running of the business.

Even if he just the "ad guy" it would makes sense for him to be involved in a decision if they plan on keeping two generations of the same model on the market... Just makes since the "ad guy" is one who has to sell it :reading:

How could Farley work for Ford in a senior management role and not know the intricacies of product design and development,

that to and fro between marketing, design and developemnt is critical to the process of continual improvement.

I believe he was also given another management role within Ford that involved more running of the business.

Would that be the same as saying:

"Mulally is just an airplane guy. What does he know about the automotive industry?"

Exactly, an outsider like Mulally has no chance of making any real changes at Ford......

what was trying to say, was the Guys is supposed to market the cars ford sells, not understand the intricacies of engineering those cars. My poorly thought out statement was meant to add a grain of salt to the statement he made.

as we have pointed out here in this thread, the Idea of reducing platform is sexy, and winning but the reality is We are build cars like the Ikon, and C1 focus for asia, and emerging markets, becuase it is the right thing to do, not to prescribe to an absolute platform philosophy that ignores the reality of those markets.

I would not waste too much time trying to make these platform numbers work, because the reality is We will always have orphans and redheaded step children platform, because being a global full line manufacture requires them.

• Like 1