Chevy Takes shot at Ford in Superbowl Ad

This ad was about positioning the brand.

I disagree entirely. This ad was targeted to the base, not the apathetic. You don't target the apathetic by taking a swipe at the competition. You target the apathetic by cleverly making a point about your product.

Is the best way of endearing yourself to a total stranger a negative barrage directed at a third party?

This ad would've been significantly better with the rewrites that Ford is more or less demanding.

borg, r u stupid, or something?

The scene was a make believe diaster movie, everything's fake, how would anybody believe what they were saying?

The only response from my wife was, guess chevy really hates Ford.

"Where's Dave?"

The best response from Ford would be to make a "Dave" commercial, showing him and his family (very important) are in a better safe place (I like the "in the mountains" idea mentioned here). And Dave would say sth along the lines like, darn are they still strangled in that shit hole, should have driven a FORD. let me go rescue them.

They could have a group of guys in their Raptors going through/around/over all the debris to go get them.

398561_917293240523_69204100_39524770_564815758_n.jpg

This was so appropriate to see on the way home. Two Chevy trucks broken down, with the hoods up. In the middle of a busy intersection. Classic.

Okay, so it was probably only one broken down. Both had the hoods up though.

BTW: Before you get your undies in a knot, the light was red when I took this. I didn't put anyone in danger (except Chevy boys egos) by snapping a photo with my cellphone.

Edited by SVT_MAN

398561_917293240523_69204100_39524770_564815758_n.jpg

This was so appropriate to see on the way home. Two Chevy trucks broken down, with the hoods up. In the middle of a busy intersection. Classic.

Okay, so it was probably only one broken down. Both had the hoods up though.

BTW: Before you get your undies in a knot, the light was red when I took this. I didn't put anyone in danger (except Chevy boys egos) by snapping a photo with my cellphone.

Easy killer... I saw a lot of new F-150's stranded with hoods up during the recent hurricane flooding. Turns out alternators mounted at the very bottom of the motor don't take kindly to being splashed or submerged.

A pathetic commercial. This is REAL world.

(I am shocked nobody rebuttled with this one seriously)

I did. Obviously the truck was driven on top of the rubble for the show. If whatever crushed the bed had landed on the hood/engine it wouldnt have been driven away.

• Like 1

I did. Obviously the truck was driven on top of the rubble for the show. If whatever crushed the bed had landed on the hood/engine it wouldnt have been driven away.

And right as we speak, or type... Some bullshit insurance auto auction, or whatever salvage yard has got that truck for sale for $10,000.00. Yes, sir it lot drives and it's a new F-150 but it needs extensive body work. Low miles as well.

Yeah, that's another bunch of scam artists... Salvage yard auction houses. Insurance auto auctions, etc... To me. That truck right there is worth the price of scrap and that's it. Nothing more. I don't care how new it is.

And right as we speak, or type... Some bullshit insurance auto auction, or whatever salvage yard has got that truck for sale for $10,000.00. Yes, sir it lot drives and it's a new F-150 but it needs extensive body work. Low miles as well.

Yeah, that's another bunch of scam artists... Salvage yard auction houses. Insurance auto auctions, etc... To me. That truck right there is worth the price of scrap and that's it. Nothing more. I don't care how new it is.

Everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Probably not 10k, but there are still good pieces in that F150. The engine, some suspension pieces, etc.

I disagree entirely. This ad was targeted to the base, not the apathetic. You don't target the apathetic by taking a swipe at the competition. You target the apathetic by cleverly making a point about your product.

Is the best way of endearing yourself to a total stranger a negative barrage directed at a third party?

This ad would've been significantly better with the rewrites that Ford is more or less demanding.

Richard, I think if you read the rest of what I wrote you will find that we are in complete agreement: It was targeted at the base, with the purpose of positioning the brand with in Chevy's own base.

Richard, I think if you read the rest of what I wrote you will find that we are in complete agreement: It was targeted at the base, with the purpose of positioning the brand with in Chevy's own base.

You mean aimed at people who used to be big Chevy fans, as opposed to people that just owned Chevy products and had something of a preference for them?

I can see that, kind of, but I still think the 'Chevy's BACK' tactic would work better than, "Eat it, Ford!!" Especially when there was nothing empirical in that commercial with which to club Ford.

Edited by RichardJensen

You mean aimed at people who used to be big Chevy fans, as opposed to people that just owned Chevy products and had something of a preference for them?

I can see that, kind of, but I still think the 'Chevy's BACK' tactic would work better than, "Eat it, Ford!!" Especially when there was nothing empirical in that commercial with which to club Ford.

You mean surviving the apocolypse isn't empirical enough? :banghead:

As sad as it is, Chevy is in the position of having to reclaim it's own fan base.

I do not come to the conclusion lightly. As a Ford truck owner, I was invited to participate in a blind (host brand name was not disclosed until the end). The group was evenly split with Ford, Dodge Ram, and Chevy owners included plus a lone Toyota owner. They were trying different ads on us trying to see what got traction. In most cases you could swap out the truck and the ad was the same patriotic, down home, blue collar, appeal. Nothing was stirring the group. Then they went to sort of a word association session where they held up a picture of a truck, brand clearly displayed, and asked for words that described the truck and the brand. The Dodge and Ford people were clearly identifying themselves as brand supporters. The Chevy guys were not even in the hunt, almost embarrassed to admit they owned the truck. This was about 7 months ago. I spoke with one of the marketing research people and asked her in a round about way if Arizona truck owners were different, from say Texas. Her response was that all the groups seemed to be pretty well on the same page, with the exception of urban and rural being different (construction versus farm and ranch). I left thinking how grim it must be to fight the truck wars with the same old product and a disappointed fan base.

Actually, that's what a cease-and-desist letter looks like. They're sent not exactly all the time, but fairly often.

There's nothing whiny about the letter.

Had GM, for instance, showed, a horrifically mangled F150 from a real-life traffic accident and said, "Dave didn't make it, Dave was driving a Ford", a similar cease-and-desist letter would've been sent. Or, had GM shown a Crown Vic blowing up after a rear-end impact in a staged event, etc...

On the one hand, I can see the reasons why Ford basically wants GM to take the word "Ford" out of the ad--which is all this letter amounts to, really. But the "TOMA" part of me says that Ford isn't exactly harmed by having the Chevy logo relegated to the final shot and the brand name voiced once or twice in the narration, while a main character in the commercial says "Ford".

In fact, my opinion is that Ford, in asking for name removal, is in effect pushing GM to make the Chevy commercial better. The fact that the commercial, at present, comes across as mostly an insult would be altered by removing the "Dave drove a Ford" line. Suddenly it becomes a "Chevys survive everything" not a "Fords kill you" commercial.

Most commercials, in our memories, turn into so much undifferentiated goo. What sticks with us are the names of products and memorable lines.

I'm not sure I'm following you; that's what cease-and-desist letter's look like therefore cease-and-desist letters aren't whiny?

Not arguing, just trying to understand the logic here.

Don't you think Ford would be better off coming back at them with their own commercial setting the record straight, that Ford is more durable, longer lasting, and safer?

The letter just comes across, to me, as "we can't take on chevy ourselves (the bully), so we're going to get our mommies to tell them to leave us alone (the lawyers)"

More or less, I'd rather see Ford "grow a set" instead of doing it this way. Does that make sense?

Don't you think Ford would be better off coming back at them with their own commercial

No. For two reasons:

1 - why should Ford spend money countering misleading and possibly improper ads?

2 - how do you ensure that your retort/setting-things-straight ad undoes whatever damage is done by the unethical ad? Even if you figure out how to air your response ad immediately after the unethical ad, how do you ensure that your ad gets traction?

I mean what if GM airs an ad that says, "Ford uses live babies and the indigent poor in its crash tests", and then Ford airs an ad that says, "No we don't." Will that undo the damage of the initial allegation? No.

Easy killer... I saw a lot of new F-150's stranded with hoods up during the recent hurricane flooding. Turns out alternators mounted at the very bottom of the motor don't take kindly to being splashed or submerged.

Yeah, I kind of figured it was the alternator when I saw it. I just thought it was ironic to see it the day after the ad =).

My dad had the alternator go bad on him in a 89 Mercury Sable that he had. He was stuck in the middle of traffic on an on-ramp at one of the busiest interchanges in the state (known as the Zoo Interchange on I-94). After that incident, he decided to get a cell phone.

I haven't read all the posts in here, but Ford may have gotten the last laugh. I saw a picture of the Manhattan parade and Ford trucks are pulling at least two floats! One was a Super Duty, the other an 80's pickup.

Here's a pic showing just the 80's Ford.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1056958-new-york-giants-parade-2012-live-reaction-video-highlights-and-recap