Chevy Takes shot at Ford in Superbowl Ad

It's a pickup truck, not a luxury car. Yeah, the F-150's interior is way better. But 90% of F-150's are priced over $30k. Part of the reason GM sells 25% more 1/2 tons than Ford is because they're cheap.

Have you seen the laughable equipment that comes with GM's cheapest trims? 4-speed auto? 4.3L V6 that puts out less than 200 HP?

Go, compare the equipment levels on the GM Work Truck trims to the F150 XL, and tell me which of those you'd rather shell out 5 figures for.

And BTW if 90% of F150s sell for over $30K, you just invalidated your own point. Whatever it was.

I'm glad others noticed the irony of having the bankrupt Hostess Twinkies in a Gov't Motors commerical

Ford's don't need Hollywood and CGI graphics. That Youtube video from a few months back of a real life "apocalypse" cost a lot less, and was a lot more real than that SB commerical.

Crushed F-150 starts and drives off rubble

http://youtu.be/TjCJC2UvDNo

Edited by JasonM

Have you seen the laughable equipment that comes with GM's cheapest trims? 4-speed auto? 4.3L V6 that puts out less than 200 HP?

Precisely. How many trucks are these wonders? Has GM turned their pickup into a Cavalier-like marketing choice for some? When they get the money, they'll get an EB F-150 or some other choice. :)

It's a great commercial with all the CGI stuff. I don't know if mentioning ANY COMPETITION by name is a great idea though.

They did it again with the ATS commercial. But they didn't mention anything about "being better than" the 3 Series in any way... just that they were aiming for it.

Everything is better with ice cream! :D

Tom, I had to run through my mental Rolodex of things that ice cream can't improve... and there was nothing there. :shades:

‎"In the meantime, people who are really worried about the Mayan calendar coming true should buy a Silverado right away." -GM Global Chief Marketing Officer, Joel Ewanick

Well, shoot. Looks like that eliminates just about everybody ... What a stupid thing to say.

This whole thing is just a pissing contest. GM started it ... but Ford shouldn't have taken the bait.

BTW: The plague of frogs ... God must really hate GM.

Very good point about "Imported from Detroit", but seldom do Superbowl ads take themselves as seriously as that one did and then launch a massive marekting effort to turn around a company (most are too broke to start with 2-minute Superbowl ads).

This ad is very successful at one thing, cementing the Chevy Truck ethos in front of a captive audience. In-fact, the entire commercial is a build-up to that punch-line. It's so brilliant, that it even poisons the word "Ford" in the hearts and minds of the audience, it's inflammatory but amusing and I think they did a good job exploting the absurdity of the situation.

You're stretching a bit on this.

Is it a captive audience? Kind of. The impression I get is that the general public is increasingly tired of overwrought SB commercials, and what percentage of buyers will--unprompted, mind you--recall this ad?

Frankly, I'd be surprised if this didn't register as a Twinkie commercial with a lot of viewers, given that it was the brand that got the most screen time.

Finally, do you think that this commercial did any serious damage to Ford's reputation? Which one of the 165M SB viewers takes all commercials at face value?

"Oh noes, Fords will kills you!!! LOLs I'm buying a Chevrolet"

---

On the Ford cease and desist, this is about killing this ad campaign not just the one commercial, and IMO it's a bit heavy-handed and unlikely to succeed, as Chevy can keep the gist of the ad with only minor tweaks.

And I hope there is not a Ford ad in next year's Super Bowl.

While the ad was stupid, I get tired of Farley's theatrics. Just shut up and let the product do the talking.

I will say the same thing about him, that I used to say about Lutz......................... duct tape is your friend.

Oh, I really liked the Acura NSX commercial (the full length one). The rest were pretty forgettable (Corey liked the shoe one, with the bulldog in tennies. I can't remember what shoes they were. LOL).

Edited by Extreme4x4
  • Like 1

While the ad was stupid, I get tired of Farley's theatrics. Just shut up and let the product do the talking.

I will say the same thing about him, that I used to say about Lutz......................... duct tape is your friend.

Oh, I really liked the Acura NSX commercial (the full length one). The rest were pretty forgettable (Corey liked the shoe one, with the bulldog in tennies. I can't remember what shoes they were. LOL).

I liked the Veloster Turbo Ad going against the Cheetah, and then the Cheetah turning on its trainer after watching the Veloster take off like a bat out of hell. It got a chuckle out of me anyway, and I wish it was Focus ST doing same instead of Turbo Veloster. And I certainly agree that Farley's antics are getting rather old. If you are truly good, you don't have to draw attention to yourself, and you certainly don't have to have such thin skin against such a vulnerable adversary. Farley reminds me of the kid in class who thinks out loud instead of knowing when to keep quiet.

The only great ad was Teleflora. Adriana Lima is #1 on my top 5 list - and #2 isn't even in the same zip code.

• Like 1

I thought Madonna sucked last night, even though she is from Borg's hometown and wants her daughter to become a Wolverine. The sound was horrible and lip syncing made it look cheap like an old school dance show from the 60's with over the top theatrics out of movie "Cleopatra." Time to retire and let Lady Gaga have her time before she gets old too.

I thought Madonna sucked last night, even though she is from Borg's hometown and wants her daughter to become a Wolverine. The sound was horrible and lip syncing made it look cheap like an old school dance show from the 60's with over the top theatrics out of movie "Cleopatra." Time to retire and let Lady Gaga have her time before she gets old too.

I actually thought it was one of the better halftime shows in recent memory. With or without lipsyncing.

• Like 3

Right on about Farley. He actually helped the ad with his tirade which naturally hit all the media. He is another Lutz! Just shut up and let the product sell. If I was African American/Black I would be pissed since the ad depicts the black guy as slow to respond and totally oblivious to anything other than eating a bankrupt Twinkie.

Did you see Madonna in the ad with Jay Leno on the elevator....Wow...major facelift....no wonder she was always at a distance at half time! Must be the same backyard butcher that did Floreen of Weight Watchers Commercials..........scary! Halloweenish!

I actually thought it was one of the better halftime shows in recent memory. With or without lipsyncing.

Mr Mulally...please put a muzzle on Farley in the future whenever he opens his mouth to the media. He actually hurts our Blue Oval with his worthless whining about the competition. Our product sells itself!

Hey Ford, congrats on giving this commercial even more exposure! :drop:

Wow, I actually agree with you. The last decade or so worth of SB halftime shows have mostly been pathetic or simply horrible shows. While it was clear she was lip syncing, I thought the overall show was well done. Except for Madonna almost falling backwards off the bleachers. Sure could have been better, but when compared to previous halftime shows, it was clearly better.

As for the Silverado add, me and my friend (Chevy fan), got a chuckle out of the add and it's stupidity. Not a memorable add at all. GM needs help marketing the Silverado. Anymore, it's more about trying to bash Ford than talking good about their product. Reminded us too much of Romney. Both (GM & Romney) appear more worried about making their competition look bad than talking good about their own products or ability. Not trying to make this a political debate, those were just some observation my friends and I discussed.

And my favorite commercial was actually the M&M commercial when the red M&M took off his candy coating. Took a little bit for the build up, but ending was great.

Going on a very unscientific polling between my GF and my Facebook updates about the halftime show...nearly every man hated it while it was the opposite for women...LOL I didn't think it was awful, but it wasn't the best either.

Another suggested bringing back Bruce Springsteen...lol

I have a soft-spot for old-school Madonna since I grew up with that music (along with Michael Jackson)...and of course she went to my High School ;) I only saw about half of the show, and it looked fine.

Did I mention Eminem is a neighbor?

Edited by BORG

As for the Silverado add, me and my friend (Chevy fan), got a chuckle out of the add and it's stupidity. Not a memorable add at all. GM needs help marketing the Silverado. Anymore, it's more about trying to bash Ford than talking good about their product. Reminded us too much of Romney. Both (GM & Romney) appear more worried about making their competition look bad than talking good about their own products or ability. Not trying to make this a political debate, those were just some observation my friends and I discussed.

I agree! What do you do when you can't think of anything good to say about yourself? You bash the other guys!

And my favorite commercial was actually the M&M commercial when the red M&M took off his candy coating. Took a little bit for the build up, but ending was great.

That one was great!