Ford Motor Company U.S. sales increased 14 percent in February

* Ford Motor Company U.S. sales increased 14 percent in February compared to February

2011 with 179,119 vehicles sold; retail sales increased 19 percent

* Focus sales totaled 23,350 vehicles in February, representing its strongest February sales

performance since 2000; Escape also set a best-ever February sales record

* February F-Series sales totaled 47,273 pickups, up 26 percent. V6 engines comprised 57

percent of F-150 retail sales in February; EcoBoost accounted for 43 percent of mix

* Ford announces second quarter North American production plan

DEARBORN, Mich., March 1, 2012 – Ford Motor Company posted a 14 percent increase in

February U.S. sales versus year-ago levels, with 179,119 vehicles sold; retail sales increased

19 percent. The Ford brand was up 14 percent, while Lincoln posted a 16 percent increase

versus year-ago levels.

"Sales momentum built as February unfolded, with higher fuel prices driving consumer demand

for more fuel-efficient vehicles in the second half of the month," said Ken Czubay, Ford vice

president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. "Customers are recognizing Ford for investing in

new cars, utilities and trucks with strong fuel economy, especially Focus, Escape and EcoBoostpowered

vehicles."

Ford Motor Company's car sales were up 16 percent in February, with Focus contributing 40

percent to the company's total vehicle growth – more than any other vehicle. Utilities gained 5

percent, with Escape setting a best-ever February sales record with 18,666 vehicles sold.

Escape has had two consecutive best-ever sales months in January and February – its

strongest-ever start to a year.

America's top-selling vehicle for 30 years, the Ford F-Series posted a 26 percent increase,

totaling 47,273 pickups.

Ford Motor Company's North American production plan is to build 730,000 vehicles in the

second quarter of 2012, up 3 percent (20,000 vehicles) compared with the second quarter 2011.

First quarter production (675,000 vehicles) is unchanged from the previous forecast.

SALES BY BRAND

Ford 172,207

Lincoln 6,912

Mercury 0

Total Vehicles 179,119

SALES BY TYPE

Cars 66,368

Utilities 48,116

Trucks 64,635

Total Vehicles 179,119

FORD BRAND

Fiesta 5,518

Focus 23,350

Fusion 21,773

Taurus 4,329

Mustang 7,351

Crown Victoria 548

Ford Cars 62,869

Escape 18,666

Edge 10,535

Flex 2,012

Explorer 10,440

Expedition 3,050

Ford Utilities 44,703

F-Series 47,273

Ranger 4,482

Econoline/Club Wagon 10,100

Transit Connect 2,305

Heavy Trucks 475

Ford Trucks 64,635

Ford Brand 172,207

Inventory

Cars 160,000

Trucks 194,000

Utilities 137,000

491,000 (68 days)

Fleet sales Feb

Rental 15 %

commercial 14%

Govt 3 %

Fleet sales Year to date

Rental 31%

Commercial 12%

Govt 4%

LINK

Edited by jpd80

Farley said in Conferee call that

Inventory

Escape 70 days.

Focus 56 days.

Fusion 71 days.

Fiesta 90 days

Ford views that as almost perfect....a few more sales would be nice..

Ecoboost Edge = 18% of sales

Ecoboost Explorer = 12% of sales

F150

V6 = 57%

Ecoboost 43%

Mustang retail was up significantly year over year adding to the 7,351 figure for February

Re higher fuel prices,

Ford sees the company in recovery mode, economy and employment is improving

so Ford think those factors will more than offset higher gas prices.

National Truck Fleet is aging quicker than other sectors and Ford expects to see a lot more F truck buyers this year.

People cross shop Fiesta and Focus, come in for Fiesta and end up buying a new Focus....

Truck Incentives are quite flat or down, Ford is lower than the industry incentive level..

Edited by jpd80

And inventory.

Earlier this month, I did a search of nation wide Focus Dealer Inventory an found that most were between

$20,000 and $25,000 So if that held up well then Ford had a great February selling well equipped vehicles,

I wonder how manual transmissions fared in sales...probably did well too.:)

I just worked out why Farley, Merkle an Czubay were all very happy this month, good sales mean their bonuses will be big...

Edited by jpd80

Ford division within 20% of all of GM. :hysterical: :happy feet:

And Chrysler coming up quickly in the rear view mirror led by its $199/month Ram pickups. Who would have thought Chrysler would be competing with Toyota for North American total sales a year ago? The new Dodge Dart will probably add another 10,000 sales/month to total. Even the Fiat 500 had its best sales month.

I was pleasantly surprised how well Lincoln did for month with MKX and MKZ making up about 70% of total sales. But even the MKT was up year over year. That was a real shocker. MKS up year over year. And Lincoln was up year over year without its usual boost from TC. So maybe the MCE MKS and MKT can give it a 20% boost in sales when they hit dealerships.

I wonder if Ford would be better served if they dropped the price of each Focus model $1,000 and dropped the incentive to $1,000. Would that help with resale values?

Yes, but domestic auto buyers are conditioned to expect inflated MSRP's and some incentives. They're going to balk if they have to pay close to asking price. Look at Honda; their quality/volume has taken a massive dump over the past few years, but they don't offer any incentives to boost sales. Their customers pay Honda prices because "It's a Honda!"... even if that means jack today.

Glad to see this, but I have mixed feelings about it since it was spurred by increased incentive spending. Ford's incentive spending jumped from $2541 to $2935.

Well, with three of their highest volume vehicles getting a bit long in the tooth (Fusion, Escape, and F-150), it's got to be pretty difficult to keep overall incentive spending in check. Just so long as their incentives aren't leaping ahead of where competitors are then I'm okay with it.

Glad to see this, but I have mixed feelings about it since it was spurred by increased incentive spending. Ford's incentive spending jumped from $2541 to $2935.

I think the incentives would be a concern if the new escape, mustang, taurus, flex, mks, and mkt weren't coming out in the next couple of months...plus the new fusion and mkz in the fall.

"Focus sales totaled 23,350 vehicles in February, representing its strongest February sales

performance since 2000"

Take that all the mo-fos saying 'Focus is a flop' and 'it's too small another flop like the Contour'. And to the WSJ saying 'Focuses are piling up, not selling'. A big F U!!

Yes, combined incentives rose $500 a vehicle but the nett gain in revenue was huge and because it wasn't linked to fleet dumping, all is well.

"Focus sales totaled 23,350 vehicles in February, representing its strongest February sales

performance since 2000"

Take that all the mo-fos saying 'Focus is a flop' and 'it's too small another flop like the Contour'. And to the WSJ saying 'Focuses are piling up, not selling'. A big F U!!

Those same doomsayer will now switch sides gushing with praise to Ford for being so insightful...

Edited by jpd80

Yes, combined incentives rose $500 a vehicle but the nett gain in revenue was huge and because it wasn't linked to fleet dumping, all is well.

Those same doomsayer will now switch sides gushing with praise to Ford for being so insightful...

The problem is, Ford is a bit on the low side already when it comes to revenue per vehicle, about $31K vs $33K at GM for example. Thankfully, it did increase significantly however.

I'm curious about the Focus fleet sales for the month as well, I know a security firm we hire just ordered dozens of them in February to replace Rangers.

Edited by BORG

Revenue per vehicle my foot.

I think GM is getting into trouble buying part of Peugeot, a fading company. They will have to make or break it.

And to quote a Ford exec, 'F-GM'. I see them going BK again in a few years, some bad habits never change.

Edited by 630land

The problem is, Ford is a bit on the low side already when it comes to revenue per vehicle, about $31K vs $33K at GM for example. Thankfully, it did increase significantly however.

I'm curious about the Focus fleet sales for the month as well, I know a security firm we hire just ordered dozens of them in February to replace Rangers.

Significantly?

Man, Ford/Lincoln is withing 30,000 sales of a GM roaring back to life.......

And, let's not immediately assume that Ford and GM have the same cost base and profit margins either...

Edited by jpd80

You can partially attibute that to Cadillac selling 5000+more units than Lincoln and at a higher price. They moved about 1,000 more Escalade, than Navigators and the Escalade starts at about $6,000 more than a Navigator. I'm also sure that a lot of those Escalades are not base ones and have options bringing ATP up to around 70K.