2013 Toyota Avalon

silvrsvt

Lets see how many manufacturers we can rip off... lets take the Oddessy's upper bumper/grille, 6's front fenders, Ford's lower facia, a Kia/Hyundai body, and finish it off by photoshopping in a 1990 Dodge pickup center stack in the interior. Well maybe not the dodge, but come on, that center stack is pasted on and HORRIBLE.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Avalon continues its trend of not really offering any good enough incentive to upgrade from the Camry.

:yup:

This issue afflicts nearly the entire front drive, large sedan segment (for mass market brands) in the U.S. market today. Just like Avalon vis a vis Camry, there's not much of a rationale to choose Maxima, Azera, Taurus, or Impala over Altima, Sonata, Fusion, or Malibu respectively.

• Like 1

This issue afflicts nearly the entire front drive, large sedan segment (for mass market brands) in the U.S. market today. Just like Avalon vis a vis Camry, there's not much of a rationale to choose Maxima, Azera, Taurus, or Impala over Altima, Sonata, Fusion, or Malibu respectively.

Well, in many of those cases it's simply because the larger product was often the less frequently updated one.

Jesus that center stack is atrocious. Aside from the screen, of course, it reminds me of the controls on my grandmothers "hi-fi". I mean, I get designing controls for a target demo that prefers larger controls with big fonts, etc...but that's just insulting and hideous. Essentially, it screams, "Don't buy unless you're 80 and shouldn't be driving in the first place". (My point being, is if you can't read or handle controls--even if they are small buttons, I don't want you driving a 4,000 lb machine at me on the highway).

• Like 1

Not for the Taurus in 2013. While the Taurus will offer a 2.0L I4 like the Fusion, the standard engine is an almost 300hp V6, and a 365hp EB while Fusion is going to all I4's. I believe there are still a decent percentage of drivers out there still not ready for a 4 cylinder engine. They still equate it with their younger years when they drove econoboxes. So the Taurus is an island for those drivers. Looks to me like those drivers demanding a V6 or V8 will have to go to upmarket Ford or Lincoln, or buy used.

Yet the 2013 Taurus with a EB20 will have close to the same HP, better Tq and FE then a 1990 Lexus LS. Just a matter of perspective IMHO. Concerning Avalon, I have to give credit. The centre console with the narrow shifter and cupholders. Compared to the Taurus, that is better executed.

Jesus that center stack is atrocious. Aside from the screen, of course, it reminds me of the controls on my grandmothers "hi-fi". I mean, I get designing controls for a target demo that prefers larger controls with big fonts, etc...but that's just insulting and hideous. Essentially, it screams, "Don't buy unless you're 80 and shouldn't be driving in the first place". (My point being, is if you can't read or handle controls--even if they are small buttons, I don't want you driving a 4,000 lb machine at me on the highway).

I'm sure Toyota will sew a silk purse out of a sow's ear on that. Bigger, better more legible controls. You don't have to look at them, spend your time reading the 'Minority Report' personalized road advertising GM is buying patents for instead of I don't know, eyes on the road. :shrug:

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, their "Spindle grille" also known as "Why design when you can style?" or "Hmm. Is there a grille shape no one is using? Okay let's do that." (this maneuver was last used by Edsel in '58).

I think you nailed it Richard. My internal dialog was verbally abusing an Infiniti JX I saw the other day for the same ridiculous kinked line on the 'C' pillar. Infiniti is also doing the "spindle" grille - squeezed in at the waist for God knows what reason. They remind me of my old 1961 Plymouth Belvedere - another product of stylistic desperation - by Virgil Exner who, understandably, had suffered a heart attack in 1956 while working on the styling for the 1961 models.