First Test 2013 Fusion

Solid unbiased review. A little disappointed by the numbers on the titanium though in terms of performance....should be in the low 6's for that price!

http://www.motortren...ion_first_test/

Motortrend didn't do a full instrument test so the time is at best obtained by someone with a stop watch... or it was simply Ford's stated number.

Why are people comparing Fusion's stated 0-60 time with a magazine instrument tested 0-60 time for Camry is beyond me... :headspin:

Why don't you guys wait until someone has a comparison test before we go full panic mode? Same day, same condition, same test track, same driver?

Given Fusion AWD's traction advantage and less weight in the nose vs. Camry V6 but comparable torque, I think Fusion Titanium AWD will easily match Camry V6 in a straight line and leave it gasping for air when the road starts to turn and twist.

Here are the other "first drive" impressions, all done at the same weekend of press event. No one had any instrumented test results because it was a press drive, not a full test.

Automobile Magazine: http://www.automobil...on_first_drive/

Road & Track: http://www.roadandtr...013-ford-fusion

Autoweek: http://www.autoweek....VIEWS/120929976

Autoblog: http://www.autoblog....e-review-video/

The one recurring theme from all the review is that 1.6T is probably the best engine choice.

Edited by bzcat

Ford is clearly not ready to release a performance version of the Fusion just yet, it probably has to do with the coming Nano V6

which I suspect will ultimately replace the 2.5 I-4 as a base version offering more and as an EB AWD version offering so much more.

Something you won't ever see in a Camry

That's when one should consider equipping his vehicle with tires that don't suck. On my 2010 Fusion, I currently have a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport for the warm weather months (just bought them last week - money well spent!) and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 for the cold ones.

For just about any FWD passenger car that isn't an Audi, this approach offers much greater "extra all-round performance value" than overrated, optional AWD systems.

I agree. Winter tires on steelies are a better investment than AWD. Motorists forget that AWD will not help with steering or braking in winter conditions.

And, the new Fusion looks incredable. I can't wait to see one on the local lot.

Big issue I can see is with offering it with AWD...its not set up for that and torque vectoring would have to be employed to keep the front wheels in control ala the Focus ST, which I'm not sure would be profitable in doing?

Doesn't the AWD system already employ torque vectoring even with the auto though?

Please Ford make a Sport or ST or whatever, 2.3 EB and 6 spd manual, AWD, 300 hp and 330 tq and that will pretty much be my dream car! 20 months left on my Focus lease, so one can hope. Of course I might fall in love with the new Mustang also and have a tough choice. Not a bad problem imo.

Edited by twmalonehunter
  • Like 1

Please Ford make a Sport or ST or whatever, 2.3 EB and 6 spd manual, AWD, 300 hp and 330 tq and that will pretty much be my dream car! 20 months left on my Focus lease, so one can hope. Of course I might fall in love with the new Mustang also and have a tough choice. Not a bad problem imo.

Damn, I couldn't agree more!! Except auto trans, it's the wifes car.

Please Ford make a Sport or ST or whatever, 2.3 EB and 6 spd manual, AWD, 300 hp and 330 tq and that will pretty much be my dream car!

I doubt we'll see an AWD product with a stick from Ford...but given those numbers, the Performance out of the ST would make it roughly equal to a 2005-2009 Mustang GT performance numbers..not a bad thing!

Another thing, does anyone know why there aren't that many AWD plus Stick combos out there? I know the Ford AWD system is electronically controled, so adding a manual to that could case it to grende or something if someone isn't nice with shifting (powershifting etc)

Hey a woman can be taught to drive a stick! JK...a sporty auto with paddle shifters would be pretty sweet too.

On whose car as the pungent odor of clutch lining burning gets stronger. PDK is best way to go for those who don't know how to drive a stick or cheap, second hand car that has seen its better days and happens to have manual. I saw a guy with $150,000 sports car ride clutch so long that you could smell the clutch lining for many minutes after he left. Don't want to know how much it would cost to replace clutch on that vehicle.

Auto123.com

2013 Ford Fusion First Impressions

Swapping the 2.0L for the less powerful 1.6L 2013 Ford Fusion with MT, we were surprised to discover this powertrain made a delightful combination

And the 1.6L also delivers the best fuel economy (other than the hybrid) with 8.0L/100 km city and 5.3 hwy.
29.4 mpg US / 44.38 mpg US
(53.3 mpg Imperial)

So has the 2013 shipped yet as the 2012 Fusion seems to be sold out? I suspect the Fusion S has shipped to fleet so that Ford can count a few 2013 sales this month, but as of yet have not even seen one new Fusion at dealers around here. Meanwhile, new Escapes are filling up dealer lots around here big time. Bill Brown has more new Escapes on lot than any other vehicle....hundreds parked all over the place. 2012 Fusions at dealers around here are long gone and not even included in their advertising.

So has the 2013 shipped yet as the 2012 Fusion seems to be sold out? I suspect the Fusion S has shipped to fleet so that Ford can count a few 2013 sales this month, but as of yet have not even seen one new Fusion at dealers around here. Meanwhile, new Escapes are filling up dealer lots around here big time. Bill Brown has more new Escapes on lot than any other vehicle....hundreds parked all over the place. 2012 Fusions at dealers around here are long gone and not even included in their advertising.

At the moment Cars.com is showing the following national dealer inventory:

10,311 Ford Fusion models ...LINK

YEAR

2013 (2327)

2012 (7876)

2011 (84)

2010 (21)

2008 (3)

PRICE

$15,001-$20,000 (374)

$20,001-$25,000 (2840)

$25,001-$30,000 (4468)

$30,001-$35,000 (1186)

$35,001-$40,000 (93)

$40,001-$45,000 (2)

Not Priced (1346)

DRIVELINE

AWD (462)

FWD (9831)

Unknown (18)

MODEL

S (394)

SE (5910)

SEL (3206)

Sport (382)

Titanium (396)

Base or Unknown (23)

Edited by jpd80

....... I suspect the Fusion S has shipped to fleet so that Ford can count a few 2013 sales this month,

The 2.5 did just fine in the "old" Fusion. And it's still the base engine in the SE. Everyone seems to assume the S is for fleet, but with Sync standard now I don't see a need to move up for me, sounds like a the best bang for the buck. It's hardly a "strippo" model anymore!

Edited by timmm55