Ford at NAIAS

With the debut of the NA versions of the Transit and Transit Connect out of the way...Ford still needs a "world-wide" debut in Detroit. The only mjaor option is the 2014 Edge. But some have INSISTED that the next gen Edge will be a 2015 model year vehicle. What are the other options? Mustang, F-150, and Expedition are likely for the 2015 model year and Taurus might be a 2015 as well. So...it has to be the Edge, right?

The need a reveal. The Detroit show is THE biggest automotive event in the New World and arguable in the entire world. Ford is a Tier One brand and it needs a significant presence. The 2011 show was kinda boring for Ford because they only had the Vertrek concept, I think. Ford needs to have more. Now...there is that rumor of a F-150 teaser concept...

Edited by ds91776

That's the plan, apparently, though I don't agree with it.

Rather than showing much of the truck, perhaps it would be better to press home the point of reduced weight and the effect that will have on fuel economy,

GM be damned, if they are pressing on with a heavier truck and believe making a lighter full sized truck is of no advantage.... suffer the consequences.

just had a thought/realization:

the nextgen Mustang to be shown at NAIAS2014 will be so mind-boggling

that all the press the F-150 debut would get then is,

"...oh, and Ford also showed a truck."

whoME.gif

Edited by 2b2

whoME.gif

Good point...that is a bit of a dilemma for Ford. The most iconic nameplate along with the most important vehicle both debuting radically new and different models at the same show could be a bit of an issue.

Good point...that is a bit of a dilemma for Ford. The most iconic nameplate along with the most important vehicle both debuting radically new and different models at the same show could be a bit of an issue.

What issue is that? Getting too much press coverage? Never a bad thing, especially when you are talking two vehicles that couldn't be more different from one another.

Other than Transit launch in 2013, Ford could use a light all new vehicle launch year in order to shore up recent quality fiascos like MFT, 1.6EB problems, Powershift problems, Manual Mustang V8 problems, and so on. Take a year and get it all straightened out and behind them before starting a bunch more super important launches in a row like Fusion and Escape almost at same time. The Transit will be more than enough for now, considering how Ford dominates commercial van segment and needs to get this right out of box. The new MKC will be towards end of year and more of a minor launch for a rather low volume brand.

whoME.gif

That is why I would surmise that the new Mustang will be shown at LA, the new F150 at NAIAS.

What issue is that? Getting too much press coverage?  Never a bad thing, especially when you are talking two vehicles that couldn't be more different from one another.

Well, it could be that the press may not be able to cover both extensively, so they skip out on one for the other. I know the Mustang is going to be the hottest topic since it is the most exciting to most press folks, so the F150 may lag a bit in positive coverage. I just know I may as well take a day off work because I won't be getting anything else done! :)

Well, it could be that the press may not be able to cover both extensively, so they skip out on one for the other. I know the Mustang is going to be the hottest topic since it is the most exciting to most press folks, so the F150 may lag a bit in positive coverage. I just know I may as well take a day off work because I won't be getting anything else done! :)

Eh, I think certain publications would naturally gravitate toward one or the other. I doubt someone like Road & Track would do much of a write up on a new F-150 even if there was no new Mustang.