Lincoln MKC Concept Debuts! (Photos and Video!)

I give Lincoln full props for the exterior styling Genuinely impressed! I'm particularly happy that the right size or maybe nose-to-grille ratio was nailed in this case...which has been awkward in some recent models, leading to the "krill grille" comments.

This is an amazing upgrade over the Escape, at least visually, and I dearly hope it gets into production without losing this stance or proportion.

The interior...I'll admit, I'm not a fan of the "kill buttons and knobs" approach. Some basic analog controls still feel better, and respond more quickly. Submenus can't compete with the simplicity of just turning a knob a few degrees. This isn't purely a Lincoln issue, it's been increasingly industry-wide as more functions go into the various touchscreens. As I've mentioned before, I used to repair touchscreens while I was in music stores, and I will always distrust 'em somewhat. MFT seems to add some weight to that state of mind.

However, were I shopping for a small luxo-ute, even beyond brand loyalty...this one is the most attractive I've seen by miles. I'll be very interested to see if the powertrain gets upgraded as well.

See the difference:

MKZ - Solomon Song Lead design - last minute changes by Max Wolff, resulted in an attractive vehicle that 50% of buyers are asking for in high series trim.

MKC - Max Wolff influence two years before release, hard points set by Escape but much more time to change design, very impressive product.

MKX - Max Wolff head of design from start on new CD4 Architecture shared with next gen Edge, what's the bet it will be a knock out....

Edited by jpd80

See the difference:

MKZ - Solomon Song Lead design - last minute changes by Max Wolff, resulted in an attractive vehicle that 50% of buyers are asking for in high series trim.

MKC - Max Wolff influence two years before release, hard points set by Escape but much more time to change design, very impressive product.

MKX - Max Wolff head of design from start on new CD4 Architecture shared with next gen Edge, what's the bet it will be a knock out....

I'm counting the days for the next-gen MKX, haven't been this geeked about any car in a long time.

Edited by BORG

See the difference:

I can only imagine what the MKX could look like - I'm sure it'll look fantastic.

I'm counting the days for the next-gen MKX, haven't been this geeked about any car in a long time. I'm just hoping they don't screw up the for formula, add seats, etc.

I'm with you - keep it the same 5 passenger vehicle it is and give if phenomenal rear legroom.

Also, what were you saying earlier about the MKC's version of MLT? I didn't understand or see what you were referring to.

I'm still hoping for a more sophisticated design language for the MKX, meaning less fussy sheet-metal sculpting and more architectural slickness. The MKC still isn't quite my design ideal. I guess look a bit more at the MKZ and current MKX.

Edited by BORG

I'm with you - keep it the same 5 passenger vehicle it is and give if phenomenal rear legroom.

Also, what were you saying earlier about the MKC's version of MLT? I didn't understand or see what you were referring to.

Look at the monotone version of MLT with the Lincoln wallpaper and virtual skeuomorphic chrome accents at the quadrants. I thought this looked very slick, something I'm sure is concept only.

Edited by BORG

Look at the monotone version of MLT with the Lincoln wallpaper and virtual skeuomorphic chrome accents at the quadrants. I thought this looked very slick, something I'm sure is concept only.

Ah yes! I did notice that! Like you said, though, I'm sure it's probably just for the concept, as the colored quadrants make them more readily differentiated and discernible.

I thought you were referring to the design itself. Sure, the entire cabin won't be covered in leather, and some of the concept details that you mentioned won't be there on the production model, but how its that any different from what any other companies do? For the sake of using a recent release - look at the BMW 4-series 'concept' - you think it'll look like that in production form? No - mirrors, door handles, bumpers, etc will all be changed.

I don't see too much need for concern - again, look at the MKZ concept vs. the production form - I'm sure that's what we're in line for with the MKC.

MKZ concept:

Lincoln-MKZ-concept-interior.jpg

MKZ production:

2013-lincoln-mkz-interior-photo-450724-s

Your MKZ example is perfect example of the totally different ambience created with concept details compared to the production details.Thanks.

BTW, again my comments are not a shot a Lincoln to undermine for showing a concept., as you mention this is common with all manufacturers.

As I originally said I cannot comment on the interior before seeing the production version.

Edited by MKII

While the MKZ was an exciting debut, I always thought that the MKC would be a much better barometer for Lincoln's future. I had high hopes, and Wolff's team didn't disappoint. Even the controversial split-wing (spread eagle?) grille looks wonderful here. Assuming it doesn't get watered down moving to production trim, this is going to be a hit.

I'm still hoping for a more sophisticated design language for the MKX, meaning less fussy sheet-metal sculpting and more architectural slickness. The MKC still isn't quite my design ideal. I guess look a bit more at the MKZ and current MKX.

The simplicity in shape of the Edge/MKX is one of the biggest appeals to its design I think. I hope they don't overdo it as well. It works on the MKC, but I'm not sure it'll translate to larger vehicles. This does give me hope that Wolff is the guy to do it though.

This does give me hope that Wolff is the guy to do it though.

Same here. When I first saw the leaked pics with that front end, there was this moment of disappointment, then I saw that it actually worked with the rest of the design. It's not a '61 Conti or an LS, but it's still a stunning design, and it bodes very well for the future of Lincoln's products, IMHO.

Eh, anything's certainly possible, but they're at opposite ends of the spectrum - MKC being small, MKT large, so I'd say that wouldn't happen too often, but what do I know. That coming from someone that drives a Flex and would love to have one (an MKC) lol.

Yup, it'll definitely be interesting to see what the MKS, MKX, and Navigator will look like. I'm most intrigued by the Navigator to be honest. Not sure how well this styling language will translate to that type of vehicle, unless it going to look a lot different from how it does now (I don't mean design wise, that's a given - I mean stature, overall shape, etc.).

Hey bud :D

I can't wait to see the new Naviagor... I saw the current model on the road today and it's just blah.. It's not bad but it's not great either... It's just blah. I don't really know how to describe it other than saying blah. I loved the model it replaced and the original Navigator but the current one does not appeal to me. While the current MKX is a rebadged Edge, I do like the MKX's smoked quartz color. The MKS is nice looking but like the MKX, it resembles it's Ford counterpart. Lincoln hit a home run with the MKC and MKT because they are based on the Escape and Flex but look nothing like them.. A whole different vehicle... And lets hope they can continue that streak with the MKX and MKS.

At the press conference, Farley told the media to NOT think of the MKC as a concept ;)

Escape is pretty much identical to the concept so I would imagine MKC will be too.

Just add door handles and door frames (concept has frameless doors which I don't expect to make production), and conventional 2-piece panaramic sunroof instead of the large 1 piece sky roof.

I especially like the interior. On the Left Lane video, check out the front seats. The seat back and seat cushion are tied together, no gap between the back and the cushion. Inside and out, all the surfaces flow into each other, taking the kenetic design and applying it throughout the vehicle.