New Light & Medium Duty News

• ice-capades changed the title to New Light & Medium Duty News
3 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

It looks like the F-Line is replacing the older Cargo. 

RIP to the Cargo nameplate...

I do believe  that is intent - Looks like the numerical designation is same as the corresponding Cargo

6 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Would need a hood for the North American market, even though that cab covers the engine just fine. Don't know if Ford-Koc's engines can meet EPA 2027 standards, but Cummins would be happy to fix any problems there...

Arne't the Euro standards as tough if not tougher than ours?

Euro 6 is pretty similar to EPA 2010 except the EPA's NOX standard is much tighter. That and the EPA standard being an oddball as most of the world has gone with the Euro standards has resulted in even Toyota and Isuzu going with Cummins engines instead of their own in the U.S. market. The tougher California standard that is about to take effect is giving Ford compliance problems and EPA 2027 looms, so several manufacturers may be forced to source engines from Cummins in the coming years. 

Very true, no more diesel 650's or 750's in California starting next year.  The Cummins-Isuzu partnership likely also had something to do with Isuzu going to Cummins for their class 6 and 7 trucks.  Which BTW seem to be selling quite well here.  

Edited by 7Mary3

15 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Euro 6 is pretty similar to EPA 2010 except the EPA's NOX standard is much tighter. That and the EPA standard being an oddball as most of the world has gone with the Euro standards has resulted in even Toyota and Isuzu going with Cummins engines instead of their own in the U.S. market. The tougher California standard that is about to take effect is giving Ford compliance problems and EPA 2027 looms, so several manufacturers may be forced to source engines from Cummins in the coming years. 

Even though NOX limits are higher with Euro VI, diesels are now compelled to use Adblue and SCR,

so the level of NOX is most likely way under that. We can thank VW ‘dieselgate’ for proving that the

alternative NOX trap and software they used was ineffective.

I guess a one door closes on technology, another opens……

Edited by jpd80

12 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Very true, no more diesel 650's or 750's in California starting next year.  The Cummins-Isuzu partnership likely also had something to do with Isuzu going to Cummins for their class 6 and 7 trucks.  Which BTW seem to be selling quite well here.  

I wonder if some sort of turbo CNG set up is possible with the 6.7 Powerstroke,

or whether that is even viable now?

It may be easier to pursue forced induction with the 7.3, just a thought….

Remember that dual fuel high boost set up Ford was developing with MIT,

used E85 through the DI for detonation suppression and regular ULP through the PFI

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I wonder if some sort of turbo CNG set up is possible with the 6.7 Powerstroke,

or whether that is even viable now?

It may be easier to pursue forced induction with the 7.3, just a thought….

Remember that dual fuel high boost set up Ford was developing with MIT,

used E85 through the DI for detonation suppression and regular ULP through the PFI

Far easier to convert the 7.3L gasoline engine to CNG or propane (which upfitters already offer) than to convert the 6.7L Powerstroke.  

The 2025 MY 650/750 diesel CARB sales restriction raises some interesting questions.  First and foremost, will Ford be able to CARB certify the 6.7L Powerstroke for the 2025 F-250 through 600?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just spotted another new F750 CT DOT truck with a huge plow on the front. I mean huge! I don't know why; we only got rain so far here! This truck had an approx. one foot gap between the back of the cab and the dump body. I couldn't see if there were salt spreaders located BEHIND the cab/BEFORE the dump body, but isn't that the only reason why this gap would be there if the dump body tilted forward? I'm going to contact someone I know there and see how many they bought, what the engine is and who approached whom.

23 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

I just spotted another new F750 CT DOT truck with a huge plow on the front. I mean huge! I don't know why; we only got rain so far here! This truck had an approx. one foot gap between the back of the cab and the dump body. I couldn't see if there were salt spreaders located BEHIND the cab/BEFORE the dump body, but isn't that the only reason why this gap would be there if the dump body tilted forward? I'm going to contact someone I know there and see how many they bought, what the engine is and who approached whom.

Joe-good  guess on reason for space..I'm seeing more Mass DOT 650/750's  not sure which they are.  I  did see one the other day when we were "anticipating" some snow and it had the plow on..not what I would call "huge"-10', but a square blade or "straight" blade-not a big "casting" type.  Again  I think these are "clean up" trucks for service areas, not intended for front line interstate use.  Then again I've seen the DOT using some pretty small contractor trucks in a "conga" line.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:44 AM, GearheadGrrrl said:

Are the DOTs in New England still buying any tandems? Here in southwest Minnesota where drifting is a big problem MN DOT is still buying some tandems but mostly single axles which aren't adequate out here. Towns mostly buy single axles but the county highway fleets are almost 100% tandems.

I Mass has some as do Conn..not sure about others.  Town next to me has one on order and its all about the route it covers..too many miles and a single axle exhausts sand supply before it completes one cycle. A few others do  as well but single axles prevail..and like 550's are becoming very popular for clean up work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you go to the Ford website...commercial vehicles then click on the the 750 gas thread they are listing model year '25..so does this mean another lost model year?  Also great news  650/750 with Godzilla now available with air brake option.  Makes sense huh?... if you want to sell class 6 and 7 trucks in that huge economy known as California as well as Oregon.  And I might add the only gas powered class 6 and 7 truck ignoring the 22,900 GM/Navistar.

Checked with a good source..."Nope another marketing mistake..posted in error..working on it however"

Can't imagine just how complicated  this must be..too bad Mr. Westinghouse isn't still with us..or did he just do trains??

The 650 and 750 have been running a model year ahead, the 2024's were introduced first quarter 2023.  The 2025's will be out shortly and that's what got Ford in trouble with CARB, as it appears the 6.7L Powerstroke does not meet 2025 CARB diesel emissions standards.  Thus 2025 650 and 750 diesels cannot be sold in California.  The 600 and lighter trucks get to keep the Powerstroke through 2024 as those trucks are 2024 MY. 

Last I heard GM and Navistar still have not released a gas engine option for the Silverado Medium Duty/International CV.  That is surprising considering all the rumors that the gas engine option was 'coming soon', and the GM 6.6L gas engine has been EPA and CARB certified for medium duty trucks.  Isuzu and Freightliner currently offer in it several medium duties.  One story I heard was that the gas 6.6L could not be teamed with certain Allison transmissions, but if true even that has been resolved. 

Freightliner will have a gasoline Cummins 6.7L available in the M2 soon.  I suspect Navistar will follow, and possibly even Isuzu in their larger F series will offer the Cummins gasser shortly.    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

The 650 and 750 have been running a model year ahead, the 2024's were introduced first quarter 2023.  The 2025's will be out shortly and that's what got Ford in trouble with CARB, as it appears the 6.7L Powerstroke does not meet 2025 CARB diesel emissions standards.  Thus 2025 650 and 750 diesels cannot be sold in California.  The 600 and lighter trucks get to keep the Powerstroke through 2024 as those trucks are 2024 MY. 

Last I heard GM and Navistar still have not released a gas engine option for the Silverado Medium Duty/International CV.  That is surprising considering all the rumors that the gas engine option was 'coming soon', and the GM 6.6L gas engine has been EPA and CARB certified for medium duty trucks.  Isuzu and Freightliner currently offer in it several medium duties.  One story I heard was that the gas 6.6L could not be teamed with certain Allison transmissions, but if true even that has been resolved. 

Freightliner will have a gasoline Cummins 6.7L available in the M2 soon.  I suspect Navistar will follow, and possibly even Isuzu in their larger F series will offer the Cummins gasser shortly.    

Why can't they just keep the '24 MY going through the end of '24 and avoid it in the short term?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Why can't they just keep the '24 MY going through the end of '24 and avoid it in the short term?

No idea.  But Ford isn't the only truck manufacturer to advance the MY's of medium duty trucks.