New Light & Medium Duty News

..Just saw on another site, looks like it's the mid-sized Transit Custom.

If I recall - Transit Custom is front wheel driven. Bigger that Transit Connect but smaller than Transit 150/250/350, aka "midsize"....sounds like they are aiming at both Mercedes Benz Metris as well as RAM Promaster.

Edited by twintornados

Just saw on another site, looks like it's the mid-sized Transit Custom.

The Transit Custom has been available in ROW since early/middle of 2007. It appears to be a FWD version of the Transit and shorter than the Transit. Because it is FWD only, the nose is much shorter. ROW calls it "mid-sized", but it looks like it is what we would call a mini-van.

If it does show up in the US, I will bet there will be a 4 cylinder diesel option, likely the rumored Ranger diesel that won't show up until 2020MY.

EDIT : correct intro date

Edited by theoldwizard

Check out January HDT. Big teaser ad from Hino announcing new class 7 and 8 's with tandem axle-shot of a tandem chassis-back of cab so no clue if its conventional or cabover. Says wait til Work Truck Show in March.

Can't wait to see Ford's big news for Work Truck Show. I think 7M3 is correct on another version of Transit.

But better than my original fear..."New cup holders for 650-750...or "New Desert Beige seat fabric" :headscratch:

Suppose any of those old heavy truck guys who left to go with Sterling might like to come out of retirement?? They sure could use some truck guys.

OH but I forgot -Mr Steelcase wants to cut engineers, get cheaper parts and whatever else his Silicon pals suggest.

Yep. The "Street" sure is responding to his leadership.

So, funny side comment....friend of mine works at a local bakery and they had a Transit full size van for deliveries...owner was "panicked" over the driveshaft recall even though at 75K miles, he had zero problems on the van which was a couple of years on now...he is friends with the owner of the local RAM/JEEP/CHRYSLER/DODGE dealership so he got talked into trading it in for a new ProMaster....well, two weeks into new ownership and the transaxle valve body crapped out, and now the brake warning light on the dash keeps coming on...

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 2

So, funny side comment....friend of mine works at a local bakery and they had a Transit full size van for deliveries...owner was "panicked" over the driveshaft recall even though at 75K miles, he had zero miles on the van which was a couple of years on now...he is friends with the owner of the local RAM/JEEP/CHRYSLER/DODGE dealership so he got talked into trading it in for a new ProMaster....well, two weeks into new ownership and the transaxle valve body crapped out, and now the brake warning light on the dash keeps coming on...

At work, we just picked up a used 2016 Transit T-250. It was a used U-Haul van with about 15k on the clock. We couldn't pass up the deal and so far, everyone loves it.

• Like 1

Gee I thought for sure that was the new one. I just searched 2017 Cargo 1846T and the images are the same Bob.

Joe, I had scrolled down on that image and there were comments made in 2013. I did think that 1846 was upgraded but I guess not. And I went on the Ford Turkey site and it is in fact the same truck. By the way you can get a translation on that site but when you click on specs, it is in Turkish.

It took me a while to find an English version, I kept getting the Turkish language. But now I know that "yeni" means "new" in Turkish! Also, Hino taunts us with an ad in Transport Topics with a picture of tandem rear axles and entry into Class 8! And check out these Dec figures: Ford has no comment on the 42 percent drop in class 6 but Freight sold even less!

Medium-Duty Segment Ends Year With Steady Growth - Trucking News - BigMackTrucks.com

So, funny side comment....friend of mine works at a local bakery and they had a Transit full size van for deliveries...owner was "panicked" over the driveshaft recall even though at 75K miles, he had zero problems on the van which was a couple of years on now...he is friends with the owner of the local RAM/JEEP/CHRYSLER/DODGE dealership so he got talked into trading it in for a new ProMaster....well, two weeks into new ownership and the transaxle valve body crapped out, and now the brake warning light on the dash keeps coming on...

At work, we just picked up a used 2016 Transit T-250. It was a used U-Haul van with about 15k on the clock. We couldn't pass up the deal and so far, everyone loves it.

Regardless of the fiasco over the u-joint/flex plate whatever they call it, everytime I've talked to a guy running one, the comments are always positive in terms of the truck. I can't believe it is taking them so long to get the correct fix out in the market.

Regardless of the fiasco over the u-joint/flex plate whatever they call it, everytime I've talked to a guy running one, the comments are always positive in terms of the truck. I can't believe it is taking them so long to get the correct fix out in the market.

look at how long it took for them to admit a problem with the Focus RS head gaskets let alone fix it

Ford doesnt do anything fast

The company where my brother works does automated highway pavement surveys. They started with E-Series vans and have been replacing them with Transit 350s. The drive teams in the Transits love them, and the ones who've moved from E-Series to Transits love them even more. I spent a week in one, and I have to say that it's a pretty good vehicle, very well thought-out.

The most negative comment I have heard about the full size Transit is the OEM tires do not work well in rain or snow.

Someone also said the narrowest part of the rear floor between the wheel wells is about 2" narrower than the E-Series.

The company where my brother works does automated highway pavement surveys. They started with E-Series vans and have been replacing them with Transit 350s. The drive teams in the Transits love them, and the ones who've moved from E-Series to Transits love them even more. I spent a week in one, and I have to say that it's a pretty good vehicle, very well thought-out.

So they are hauling workers ? Something I have been vocal about is the skinny rear seats ! My kids grew up in a Chateau Club Wagon with the Quad Captain's Chair. The Transit Wagon rear seats look way too narrow, especially for my FAT A$$ !

• Like 1

So they are hauling workers ? Something I have been vocal about is the skinny rear seats ! My kids grew up in a Chateau Club Wagon with the Quad Captain's Chair. The Transit Wagon rear seats look way too narrow, especially for my FAT A$$ !

That's because they were designed for European butts!

The most negative comment I have heard about the full size Transit is the OEM tires do not work well in rain or snow.

Someone also said the narrowest part of the rear floor between the wheel wells is about 2" narrower than the E-Series.

I can attest to that about the tires. The OEM Hankook tires are no good in snow! We found that out a couple weeks ago with the recent winter storm around here. As soon as we wear the OEM tires out, we're looking to go to something more aggressive. We're up to 19,000 miles on it and we're hoping they get us through this winter.

Nope--just a driver and someone to run the instrumentation package. They only have two seats up front, so I can't comment on the rear seats, but the passenger seat fit my bucket OK, and my bucket is definitely not Euro-spec.

• 2 weeks later...