New Light & Medium Duty News

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/08/chevy-silverado-4500-5500-medium-duty-commercial-truck/

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado-4500HD-and-5500

At least from the front, it looks like a pretty handsome thing. It blends design cues of the current Silverado with the last medium-duty truck Chevy sold, the Kodiak (and its GMC twin, the TopKick). It has split headlights and the classic cross-bar grille of the Silverado, but also the big-rig-style high hood that drops down toward the headlights.

Chevrolet didn't reveal much about the new trucks' specifications. All it said was that it would be available in regular and double-cab configurations, as well as offering two- or four-wheel drive. Powering it will be Duramax diesel engines with Allison transmissions. We can at least tell from the teaser image that it uses a solid front axle up front. We also assume that Chevy will only be offering this truck to commercial buyers, at least at first. We don't expect the company to offer sales to private consumers, but we can't rule it out completely. After all, International sold consumer-ready versions of its trucks in the form of the CXT, MXT and RXT. Chevrolet will reveal more details and images when the trucks make their debut at the Work Truck Show in Indianapolis in March.

Well it appears that GM has admitted that independent front suspension has a limit. I think this will make it tougher for them to get away with IFS on the 2500/3500 (one of the achilles heel of those trucks). GM guys accepted it because they didn't have much choice. Now GM is tacitly admitting that IFS doesn't really belong in a heavy truck. I can't wait to hear the excuses.

Well it appears that GM has admitted that independent front suspension has a limit. I think this will make it tougher for them to get away with IFS on the 2500/3500 (one of the achilles heel of those trucks). GM guys accepted it because they didn't have much choice. Now GM is tacitly admitting that IFS doesn't really belong in a heavy truck. I can't wait to hear the excuses.

Well, Oshkosh doesn't seem to think IFS has limits, but I think GM went with a SFA probably for cost reasons more than anything else. I have to admit that since 2011 the GM IFS on the HD's is very robust. We have less trouble with the newer GM front ends compared to the SD's, and the GM's seem to hold alignments longer. Handle and ride a bit better too.

I guess it's like the 7X engine program going back to pushrods. It all depends on the application.......

This article makes no mention but the earlier mule pictures indicate it has a tilting front end-in true medium duty fashion. Assuming it does, gives it a bit of advantage over the class 4 and 5 Fords and Rams from a serviceability viewpoint IMO

I noticed that as well. I’ve wondered if Ford was ever going to do that with the 450 & 550s. Didn’t they move some production of chassis cabs to Avon Lake? If so, seems like it would make it easier to do a tilt nose. Just a thought

Well, Oshkosh doesn't seem to think IFS has limits, but I think GM went with a SFA probably for cost reasons more than anything else. I have to admit that since 2011 the GM IFS on the HD's is very robust. We have less trouble with the newer GM front ends compared to the SD's, and the GM's seem to hold alignments longer. Handle and ride a bit better too.

I guess it's like the 7X engine program going back to pushrods. It all depends on the application.......

Idk about that. A farmer friend of mine has a habit of breaking suspensions in his pickups. It basically consists of putting a pallet of seed in the bed and then seeing how fast he can drive across a chisel-plowed field. He's been known to hit 50 mph. I don't know how he hasn't broke his neck yet. But anyways, it's a true test of a pickups suspension. He's tried a lot of trucks, and the GMs don't measure up. Even with the superduties he'll break a spring or knuckle every other year, but the GMs he's tried don't go more than six months between catastrophic suspension failure.

Yeah I know it's an extreme example of abuse, but it goes to show that the Ford suspension is more robust.

Now obviously stuff like humvees run ifs/irs and do just fine with it, but that ain't the same thing that's going on the front of GM pickups.

Heren is what looks like cab commonality for a class 4-5-6-7? with a class 2? Would this work for Transit-new cab for E Series and 450-750?? One negative for sure is lack of a tilt hood assembly on the bigger truck. Cab structure looks similar to Transit in terms of forward sight lines.

GAZ Group Press Release / December 6, 2017

The Gorky automobile plant of GAZ Group started production of two new models of commercial vehicles: the light duty truck GAZon NEXT with GVW 10 t and the light commercial vehicle GAZelle NEXT with GVW 4.6 t. The new GAZ products will help to renovate the transport fleets and to improve the efficiency of freight and passenger transportation in the Russian Federation.

The payload capacity of the vehicle GAZon NEXT 10 is 5.9 t. This platform will be the base for creation of a wide range of specialized vehicles for municipal and road services, various spheres of business and agriculture.

Application of new design solutions - a new rear suspension and an upgraded front suspension, enlarged front wheel track, a longer wheel base - allowed not only to increase the payload capacity but also to improve functionality, comfort and the driving performance of the vehicle.

The vehicle features air suspension on the rear axle that makes it possible to adjust the height of the body when loading/unloading and maintain it at a constant level during the ride,providing high smoothness of driving even on rough roads. The suspension is equipped with Monroe hydraulic telescopic shock absorbers and an anti-roll bar The cargo platform with the width Increased by 27 cm can accomodate12 standard europallets (instead of 10 on the previous model). The grearbox is managed through a remote drive (joystick), located on the instrument panel.

The brake system of the vehicle is pneumatic, with disc mechanisms in all wheels, with the ABS and ASR systems The YAMZ-534 engine with increased power of 170 h.p. and the maximum torque up to 664 Nm resulted in improved traction-dynamic characteristics of the vehicle and reduced fuel consumption.

The spacious and comfortable cabin of GAZon NEXT equipped with a springed driver's seat with anatomical support, five levels of adjustment and waist support, a 2 DIN-recorder with control buttons on the steering wheel and the climate control system Delphi with the function of heated windshield. The driver's cab is made of galvanized steel after double priming and the fenders and wheel arches are made of high-strength plastic providing a high level of protection against corrosion.

The light commercial vehicle GAZelle NEXT 4.6 can carry up to 2.6 tons of cargo. Later, the chassis of this vehicle will be the base for creation of a wide range of trucks, vans and minibuses.

The structural features of the vehicle are the new rear Spicer axle, the brake system with disc brake mechanisms on all wheels and ABS, the increased width of the cargo platform. In addition to the increased payload capacity of up to 2.6 tons the vehicle differs a cargo platform with the width increased by 10 cm (up to 2160 mm). The vehicle has the drop sides made of a rolled steel profile protected by cataphoretic priming and with a minimal number of weld seams. This provides a high corrosion resistance of the body.

The platform of GAZelle NEXT 4.6 absorbed all the advantages of the vehicle GAZelle NEXT 3.5 that was launched in 2013 and is the most popular model in the Russian market of commercial vehicles. It has a strong double-arm independent front suspension, a roomy and comfortable cabin, a highly informative rack and pinion steering, a reinforced frame and a new rear suspension.

The project aimed at development and setting up production of GAZelle Next 4.6 is implemented with support of the Russian Industry Development Foundation.

5a4eed2d6e968_image1.jpg.9176b960b97791b

5a4eed333b911_image2.thumb.jpg.9e562bc72

Some interesting news. I'm guessing the International will be their version of the class 4,5's they will be building for GM??

Hino? -class 7 and 8 cab overs???

Ford?? Hopefully the new V-8 gas??? I won't even suggest a diesel alternative to the 6.7/Torqueshift :)

Trailer-Body Builders / January 11, 2018

Four of North America’s leading truck manufacturers have announced they will unveil new vehicles at The Work Truck Show 2018.

Chevrolet Commercial Vehicles will reveal its Silverado 4500HD and 5500HD chassis cab trucks. Ford Commercial Vehicles will launch a new commercial vehicle. Hino Trucks will introduce a line of Class 7 and 8 trucks. International Truck will debut what it’s calling “the driver’s ultimate work truck.”

Additional OEMs with press conferences scheduled include Ram Commercial, which plans to announce work-truck-related news for the all-new 2019 Ram 1500 truck, Isuzu Commercial Truck of America Inc. and Mack Trucks Inc. These manufacturers are among 100 exhibiting companies that have shared plans to introduce commercial vehicles and equipment at North America’s largest work truck event.

The Work Truck Show takes place March 6–9 at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana. Educational sessions, Green Truck Summit and Fleet Technical Congress begin March 6, and the exhibit hall is open March 7–9.

“Every March, Indianapolis becomes the North American epicenter for work trucks, as manufacturers showcase the newest vocational trucks, vans, components and equipment for any application to fleet managers, equipment distributors, upfitters, installers and other professionals in the vocational vehicle industry,” says Steve Carey, NTEA executive director. “If you want to be part of this year’s biggest product launches, you want to be at The Work Truck Show 2018.”

Chevrolet says the new Silverado 4500HD and 5500HD chassis cab trucks will complete its commercial truck portfolio. Designed around how customers work, the OEM says the trucks will be highly maneuverable and among the easiest on the market to upfit.

Hino reports that its new Class 7 and 8 trucks are the result of four years of development and hundreds of thousands of hours of engineering work that included building 10 prototypes. The vehicles will be powered by Hino’s A09 9-liter engine that provides a horsepower range of 300 to 360 hp.

Overall, the 500 exhibiting companies at The Work Truck Show 2018 will showcase the latest products necessary to build, equip, customize and utilize the trucks that keep America moving forward. The Work Truck Show’s exclusive New Product Spotlight program makes it easy for attendees to identify new products in advance and on the exhibit floor. Participating companies provide a photo and product details for each new product which NTEA shares on the Show website and through The Work Truck Show 2018 app (scheduled for release in February). Information about “green” products featured in the Green Product Showcase, and a full list of first-time exhibitors is also available on the same webpage: worktruckshow.com/floorplan.

For the complete schedule of events, educational session descriptions, Show floor plan and to register, visit worktruckshow.com. For more information, call 800-441-6832 or email info@ntea.com.

• Like 1

Some interesting news. I'm guessing the International will be their version of the class 4,5's they will be building for GM??

Hino? -class 7 and 8 cab overs???

Ford?? Hopefully the new V-8 gas??? I won't even suggest a diesel alternative to the 6.7/Torqueshift :)

Trailer-Body Builders / January 11, 2018

Four of North America’s leading truck manufacturers have announced they will unveil new vehicles at The Work Truck Show 2018....

...Ford Commercial Vehicles will launch a new commercial vehicle....

Wait, what?!?!?

It could be the new V-8 gas engine, maybe they will show the F-150 Diesel, or announce the 3.oL PowerStroke will be available in the E-350 & 450. Just guessing here.

I would like to see the Cargo, but money spent to bring it up to U.S. regulations could be better spent on ill-defined urban mobility solutions. At least that seems to be the prevailing mind set at Ford these days.

Just saw on another site, looks like it's the mid-sized Transit Custom.

Edited by 7Mary3
  • Like 1

some more interesting stats;

Transport Topics / January 16, 2018

U.S. retail sales of medium-duty trucks climbed 5.4% in December, with only Class 6 volumes dipping from a year earlier, WardsAuto.com reported.

Sales of Classes 4-7 trucks totaled 21,179 units compared with 20,096 in the 2016 period.

For the full year, sales were 222,790, up 7.3% from 207,694 in the 2016 period. Gains in the period were led by a 13% rise in Classes 4-5.

“The growth is not quite as spectacular or as volatile as you see on the Class 8 side [up 43% in December year-over-year], but ever since we came out of the Great Recession [medium-duty] has had a slow methodical, really sustainable, growth rate,” ACT Research Co. Vice President Steve Tam said.

“You have investment by businesses, so there are more things being produced, and often it is the medium-duty guys who are at play in that space,” he added.

Sales of Class 7 trucks in December jumped 12.9% to 5,429 and were spread among five truck makers. Freightliner led with a 47% market share. Paccar Inc. and Navistar International Corp. were next, while Ford Motor Co. and Hino Motor Sales USA Inc. tied with 264 sales each.

Class 6 sales slipped 4.2% to 5,385 in a market crowded with seven truck makers.

Segment leader Ford Motor Co. was the main downward force, with sales plummeting 41.5% to 1,685 from 2,883 units a year earlier.

Ford did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Freightliner was right behind Ford, selling 1,640 trucks.

Others ranked by sales included Hino, Navistar International, Paccar Inc. and Isuzu Commercial Truck of America Inc..

Also in December, GM launched its Chevrolet brand low-cab forward truck in Class 6, selling seven.

Classes 4-5 rose 7.3% for the month to 10,365 trucks.

Ford led in Class 5 with a 60% market share, or 4,846 trucks.

Isuzu earned a 60% share in Class 4 with 1,394 sales.

Kenworth Truck Co. announced its K270 Class 6 and K370 Class 7 models now come with the option of the Bendix Wingman Fusion advanced driver assistance system.

“There are certainly folks, especially in the private fleets, who understand and are willing to make that kind of an investment in the equipment,” Tam said.

Wingman Fusion offers enhanced collision mitigation, lane departure warning, stationary vehicle braking, and overspeed alert and action.

• Like 1

Wow. Looks like there were some big fleet orders for F-650's, and now that they have been filled we are looking at the 'normal' selling rate. Makes sense looking at Freightliner's numbers. Purely anecdotal, but I am not seeing too many new 650's and 750's. Good job in class 5, but that market will get tougher with 2 new competitors. There are a number of Chevy dealers near me that are getting back into commercial trucks, but if I were Ford I would probably be more concerned with International being back in class 4/5 with a competitive product.

Wow. Looks like there were some big fleet orders for F-650's, and now that they have been filled we are looking at the 'normal' selling rate. Makes sense looking at Freightliner's numbers. Purely anecdotal, but I am not seeing too many new 650's and 750's. Good job in class 5, but that market will get tougher with 2 new competitors. There are a number of Chevy dealers near me that are getting back into commercial trucks, but if I were Ford I would probably be more concerned with International being back in class 4/5 with a competitive product.

Right on all counts-my guess is the big 650 numbers were U-Haul-plus stocking dealers with 650 gas chassis. A lot of dealers around here stock them. None have 750's in inventory. I know UPS bought some but no clue how big an order that was.

I think Chevy will pose the bigger problem guessing that they will be more competitive from a pricing perspective.

I think the Chevy entry will pose a bigger problem. Around here, many of the loyal International customers have moved on to other brands due to International's quality issues as of late.

I'm still wondering how the Chevy/International joint venture will work out. We saw how it went with Ford and I don't think it went all that well for Cat.

I think the Chevy entry will pose a bigger problem. Around here, many of the loyal International customers have moved on to other brands due to International's quality issues as of late.

I'm still wondering how the Chevy/International joint venture will work out. We saw how it went with Ford and I don't think it went all that well for Cat.

Who knows, but Navistar has gone through a big change in management and is now run but many ex-GM people.